Will my friend lose unlimited data if I activate my smartphone?
teotlonion

Hello,

My friend six months ago added a second line in order to upgrade to a new smartphone. She has the Share Everything, and she has unlimited data usage. She recently added me to her plan because I found an old VZ basic phone laying around, and she already had the second line, and I needed a phone, so it made sense.

Now, today, a friend has given me an older Droid VZ smartphone, which I intend to replace this basic phone as soon as possible.

My question is: if I activate this smartphone, will my friend lose her unlimited data? I don't mind paying the 30 dollars or whatever it is for MY data usage, but I would feel bad if she lost her cool feature because she was trying to help me out. Is there a way for her to retain her unlimited data AND for me to pay for my data?

In the "View Usage" area of the site, data isn't listed as 'shared' the way that messaging and voice calling is. Does this mean that my data will exist independently of the data on her line? Or will she need to change her plan as well? Or do we both get unlimited data?

Any intelligent response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Signed,

A Concerned Friend Who Wants to Use a Smartphone

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unlimited Data Question
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your friend has unlimited data and the data isn't listed as being shared, then she doesn't have a Share Everything plan, she has a Nationwide plan.  Which means that if your smartphone is Verizon branded with a clean ESN, then you can put it on your line without it affecting the plan, you'll just need to add a data plan (i.e., 2GB for $30) to your line.

View solution in original post

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your friend has unlimited data and the data isn't listed as being shared, then she doesn't have a Share Everything plan, she has a Nationwide plan.  Which means that if your smartphone is Verizon branded with a clean ESN, then you can put it on your line without it affecting the plan, you'll just need to add a data plan (i.e., 2GB for $30) to your line.

teotlonion

Thank you. I was thinking that this would be the case. Later today, once I've added data to this line and it works correctly, I will totally come back and give you the "Correct Answer" thing. Thanks, tikibar.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also keep in mind that your friend will need to authorize the data plan addition for your line since she's the Account Owner (I'm assuming the plan is in her name), unless she designates you as an Account Manager.

teotlonion

Thanks. I knew/figured that would be the case. She intends to do so.

0 Likes