Will Verizon get wi-fi calling?
sheila7516
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have only been with Verizon since 5/13 I was previously with T-mobile for 7 years. The reason I switched was plain and simple coverage area. I travel quite a bit and with them anytime I got out of a major city I could not get a signal even on the interstate. There were many times I would be with friends on a trip or at an event and they would have service and I would not. Every time I said what company do you use the answer from the people with service would always be Verizon. Yes it is true Verizon is a little more expensive I don't mind paying for the good service. That being said there is one thing I miss a lot from T-mobile, that is Wi-Fi calling. Where I work it is impossible to get a signal, my office is in the basement of a large hospital. I honestly don't expect any company to have signal there. With T-mobile I could still make and receive calls and texts over Wi-Fi. Anywhere you can connect to a Wi-Fi signal you can call or text.

Now I find I can use my phone in a lot of places I never could before but not where I spend 8+ hours a day. Please make your phones so they can receive calls and texts over Wi-Fi.

Does anyone think Verizon will make this valuable feature available anytime soon? Or is there some way to receive calls and texts that I don't know about.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wi-Fi calling
Altruistic_1
Enthusiast - Level 3

If your phone is able to connect to WiFi then it's probably safe to assume that you have a smartphone. Depending on which type you have (Windows, Android, BlackBerry, iOS) your ability to do this may differ but you could always just download an app that allows for calling and/or texting via a data connection (a.k.a WiFi). For example, Skype is one. You may have to do a bit of research to find the availability of these apps on your particular phone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

sheila7516 wrote:

Does anyone think Verizon will make this valuable feature available anytime soon? Or is there some way to receive calls and texts that I don't know about.

No I don't. Verizon Wireless offers network extenders that are connected to the existing landline internet service to create mini cell towers in buildings where the exterior signal doesn't have the penetration.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Yes, it is very unlikely that Verizon will offer this. TMobile does it because their network is not as extensive in some places.

0 Likes
Not applicable

ttipgem wrote:

Yes, it is very unlikely that Verizon will offer this. TMobile does it because their network is not as extensive in some places.

That is true. I liked the feature when I tried their service. However only certain devices had the ability to do it.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Altruistic_1
Enthusiast - Level 3

If your phone is able to connect to WiFi then it's probably safe to assume that you have a smartphone. Depending on which type you have (Windows, Android, BlackBerry, iOS) your ability to do this may differ but you could always just download an app that allows for calling and/or texting via a data connection (a.k.a WiFi). For example, Skype is one. You may have to do a bit of research to find the availability of these apps on your particular phone.

0 Likes