Re: Will Transferring Upgrade Eligibility Remove Unlimited Data and/or Unlimited Text?
timwagner
Enthusiast - Level 1

So pretty much no matter what i do im gonna loose unlimited data

what about if i just activate a device under the phone number i have meaning :

the android i have if i wanted to switch it to an iphone that i bought on ebay or something will that remove my unlimited data or text?

0 Likes
Re: Will Transferring Upgrade Eligibility Remove Unlimited Data and/or Unlimited Text?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

timwagner wrote:

the android i have if i wanted to switch it to an iphone that i bought on ebay or something will that remove my unlimited data or text?

As long as you don't purchase a subsidized (discounted) phone from Verizon or one of it's affiliates, you can activate it and keep the unlimited data.  As soon as you use an upgrade, and purchase a discounted phone, and extend a contract, that line loses it's unlimited data.

timwagner
Enthusiast - Level 1

who would be there affiliates?

0 Likes
timwagner
Enthusiast - Level 1

thank you!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

timwagner wrote:

So pretty much no matter what i do im gonna loose unlimited data

If you activate the iPhone5 on the dumbphone line (based on your scenario in the original post, I'm not sure why you would though) you will have to choose a tiered plan because there is no data plan currently on that line, and tiered is all that's available now.  If the iPhone 5 is purchased using your Dad's upgrade, his line will be shifted to tiered, and then you can activate the iPhone5 on your line and still keep the unlimited on that line (I believe).

If the dumbphone line is eligible for an upgrade, you can purchase the Iphone for that line, then once it's activated move it to your line and cancel the data plan on the dumbphone line.

0 Likes
gurase
Contributor - Level 2

I can confirm this is not true. Like I said, I walked my parents through this exact procedure online, and can currently verify the line the upgrade was transferred FROM still has unlimited data.  Sure, you would lose unlimited data on both lines if you upgrade Line A and then transfer to Line B later. But when you use the transfer upgrade tool online to transfer eligibility from Line A to Line B, it has you select tiered data for Line B. Line A's contract is extended but they do NOT have to change the data plan. Maybe it was a glitch in the system, but I'm curious to see if anyone's actual experience is different.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

timwagner wrote:

who would be there affiliates?

Best Buy, Wal Mart, Mall kiosks, Amazon, some stores (they say "authorized reseller") Costco kiosks, etc....

Use the Store locator link at the top of this page to see all the Verizon dealers in your zip code area.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

gurase wrote:

I can confirm this is not true. Like I said, I walked my parents through this exact procedure online, and can currently verify the line the upgrade was transferred FROM still has unlimited data.  Sure, you would lose unlimited data on both lines if you upgrade Line A and then transfer to Line B later. But when you use the transfer upgrade tool online to transfer eligibility from Line A to Line B, it has you select tiered data for Line B. Line A's contract is extended but they do NOT have to change the data plan. Maybe it was a glitch in the system, but I'm curious to see if anyone's actual experience is different.

I think you got lucky...  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
subsoundsz

Did anything change these past few weeks? Do you still have unlimited data on the line that was used for the transferred upgrade? I'm curious to see if that is the case as well. Like you said, when I did the transfer/alternate upgrade, I was asked to select a data plan for the line that I'm upgrading and not the line that I am using to upgrade. I wonder if that would change once the phone is activated. Let me know.

0 Likes
gurase
Contributor - Level 2

Nope, nothing has changed. Line that had the upgrade available still has unlimited and a new contract. Line that used the upgrade has 2GB with no effect on its contract.

0 Likes