Will Transferring Upgrade Eligibility Remove Unlimited Data and/or Unlimited Text?
timwagner
Enthusiast - Level 1

On our account we have 5 phones (1 dummy phone, 2 Android Smart phones, and 2 iPhones 4's ) All have unlimited text and unlimited data except the dummy phone. My dad's phone has an upgrade available (he has unlimited text and data with an iPhone). If i were to transfer the upgrade eligibility from his number to the dummy number would that remove his unlimited data and text? I want to be able to upgrade the dummy phone to get an iPhone to replace my android but i want to keep unlimited data and text on all the phones that have it including mine.

Thanks

Tim

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Will Transferring Upgrade Eligibility Remove Unlimited Data and/or Unlimited Text?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

timwagner wrote:

can i get rid of tiered data on the dumby phone after i recieve the phone?

I am putting the phone i get on a different line then the dumby phone

If there is a basic phone on the "dumb phone" line, then you can remove the data plan, yes.

And unlimited data would remain on all the lines EXCEPT the line whose eligibility was used to purchase the new phone, in this case, your Dad's line (If I read your original post correctly)

Message was edited by: SuzyQ

View solution in original post

Re: Will Transferring Upgrade Eligibility Remove Unlimited Data and/or Unlimited Text?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

His line would be the one with the contract extension even if you transfer the upgrade to the basic phone line.

If the basic phone is eligible for an upgrade then you could transfer that upgrade to your line to get a new phone. The contract would be extended on the basic phone line in this situation.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
timwagner
Enthusiast - Level 1

Right but if i transfer the upgrade to the basic phone line and when i proceed to choose a plan is it going to remove my dad's unlimited data and text or no?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It will remove his unlimited data plan and change it to a tiered data plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
timwagner
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok thanks this is the stupidest thing in the world i dont get why they would just up and delete it even when they tell you ur grandfathered in...

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

The unlimited data has been "grandfathered" nearly two years now - and any lines that still have it (I have one of those!!) will be switched to a tiered data plan when that line's eligibility is used to get a discounted phone.  Unlimited data is going away . . . and we get unlimited talk minutes and unlimited text messages instead.

0 Likes
gurase
Contributor - Level 2

Actually, the dumb phone line would get tiered data, and the line with unlimited data would keep it, but would be extended 2 years. Just went through this exact situation with my parents. The key is to use the transfer upgrade tool on My Verizon to transfer the upgrade from the unlimited data line to the dumb phone line. Don't just upgrade the unlimited data line and activate on the dumb phone line.

0 Likes
timwagner
Enthusiast - Level 1

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

gurase wrote:

Actually, the dumb phone line would get tiered data, and the line with unlimited data would keep it, but would be extended 2 years. ... The key is to use the transfer upgrade tool on My Verizon to transfer the upgrade from the unlimited data line to the dumb phone line. ...

You would need to add a tiered data plan to the line that the iPhone is activated on, yes.  But by using the upgrade eligibility of a line to purchase the iPhone, that line also will be shifted to the tiered data. If a contract is extended and a subsidized phone is purchased, unlimited data converts to tiered on the eligible line.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

timwagner wrote:

If there is a basic phone on the "dumb phone" line, then you can remove the data plan, yes.

And unlimited data would remain on all the lines EXCEPT the line whose eligibility was used to purchase the new phone, in this case, your Dad's line (If I read your original post correctly)

Message was edited by: SuzyQ