Why won't Verizon Block Spoofed (Fake) Caller ID ?
AJCAMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

I get lots of calls from spammers (robocallers) that are spoofing the Caller ID. This makes it impossible to block phone numbers, since the same spammer can call me a thousand times with different caller ID.

So don't tell me that call blocking is a viable way to stop spammers from phoning me. Let alone ask me to pay for it.

VERIZON, AT LEAST Block any call with a non-working caller ID. I don't know whether a phone number is a valid working number or spoofed caller ID,  BUT YOU DO. IMHO, You're in the business of connecting legitimate phone calls, therefore, IMHO, you are in the business of BLOCKING  ILLEGAL PHONE CALLS.

The Internet Authorities instituted technology to validate a website before allowing browsers to connect. You could do the same. I'm happy to wait an extra few seconds for you to validate that the caller ID attempting to connect to my phone is a legitimate ID. You could take the incoming caller ID, verify against a database of active phone numbers and at my option, either block the call, or send to voicemail. Is that all that difficult? Of just too expensive for you to implement it?

And please stop with the Federal Do Not Call List. Aren't you aware that spammers can download the list free of charge from the government, and have in their hands a golden list of active phone numbers? And if they are spoofing Caller IDs, how can they possibly be tracked down? Or are you suggesting that I kindly ask spammers for their name, address and actual phone number?

Here's what you've turned my phone into. I pick up all my calls, but don't say anything. 99% of the time a person interested in speaking to me will say hello, or if sent to voicemail, will leave me a message. Robots will not connect to a spammer unless I initiate sound on my end of the call. And I've never had a spammer leave a voice message. Nice Job Verizon.

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Correct answers
Re: Why won't Verizon Block Spoofed (Fake) Caller ID ?
boringusername
Master - Level 1

sigh. No it's not just call blocking. It filters out spam calls BEFORE they get to you. My Pixel has a similar feature and I don't even see the most of calls designated as spam unless I check to see the numbers that have called. Sometime I get a call and it will say "suspected spam". I'm sure Verizon's tech is more robust

View solution in original post

0 Likes
AJCAMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, If this is true filtering, and not just call blocking, then kudos to you guys! Can't wait to see the rollout!

Thanks for your patience.

AJCAMP

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

tikibar1 wrote:

Verizon to robocallers: Your days are numbered; starting in March, Verizon’s spam and robocalling fe...

Despite this being a major news story we still see people posting the same question the OP over and over.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

AJCAMP, in March, we will be rolling out our free spam alerting and call blocking tools to all of our wireless customers whose smartphones support these features, including iPhone and Android devices. There will be more information on how to sign up for the free service as we get closer to launch. Here is a link with more information:

https://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-robocallers-your-days-are-numbered-starting-march-verizon...

AaronS_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BRUSTE94
Enthusiast - Level 1

I see Verizon offers a filter that may or may not block those robo calls for an extra fee of $2.99 per month. It would seem to me that protecting their customers should be an actual part of the process. They make enough on their poor coverage in northern Nevada as it is.

boringusername
Master - Level 1

BRUSTE94 wrote:

I see Verizon offers a filter that may or may not block those robo calls for an extra fee of $2.99 per month. It would seem to me that protecting their customers should be an actual part of the process. They make enough on their poor coverage in northern Nevada as it is.

No offense but did you not READ?

In March, we will be rolling out our free spam alerting and call blocking tools to all of our wireless customers whose smartphones support these features, including iPhone and Android devices. There will be more information on how to sign up for the free service as we get closer to launch. Here is a link with more information:

https://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-robocallers-your-days-are-numbered-starting-march-verizon...

0 Likes
AJCAMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've read the article that robocaller's days are numbered, and from I can tell, this is still a call blocking application. Am I correct?

If so, then I reiterate - if the same spammer calls my phone with a different caller ID every time, I will spend the better part of my day blocking one spoofed caller ID after another. I've given up using the iPhone call blocking and apps such as Truecaller since the spammers (or should I say their software) change their caller ID faster than I can block them. It's a lost cause.

If I'm mistaken about Verizon's plan to kill robocalling, then I apologize and as an engineer I would love to hear more about the TECHNOLOGY Verizon plans to use to keep my phone from ringing with illegal calls.

Thanks for hanging in there.

AJCAMP

boringusername
Master - Level 1

sigh. No it's not just call blocking. It filters out spam calls BEFORE they get to you. My Pixel has a similar feature and I don't even see the most of calls designated as spam unless I check to see the numbers that have called. Sometime I get a call and it will say "suspected spam". I'm sure Verizon's tech is more robust

0 Likes
AJCAMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, If this is true filtering, and not just call blocking, then kudos to you guys! Can't wait to see the rollout!

Thanks for your patience.

AJCAMP

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@effzzz wrote:

That link goes nowhere.  Next time you insult people, maybe have your own information correct?

Who are you talking too? Can't help if links don't work on this new layout

We are continuously updating our algorithm and to date have identified nearly 300 million numbers associated with spam and robocalling.

Why is the stupid censor buttping bleep when it says "**bleep**"?

In March, we will be rolling out our **bleep** tools to all of our wireless customers whose smartphones support these features, including iPhone and Android devices. There will be more information on how to sign up for the free service as we get closer to launch.

0 Likes