Why is spending limit decreased without notification?
jamiedowe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Starting my account off i was able to obtain 5 devices on payment plans which exceeded $1500 (about $2600). Now that ive decided to get the new Apple Watch i was told i was over my spending limit and had to pay 75 percent of the price in order to add it onto my account. When i ask why and what my limit was they proceeded to tell me that it must have been lowered for billing issues. When i started my account, i advised customer service that the bill payment date was very inconvenient for me because it was rent time 1st of the month. I was told just ask for a promise to pay and it would push my payment out for me. So thats what i did each month. What i wasnt told was that it would affect my account and it makes me look as though i just dont pay my bill. According to customer service, because i had a balance forward on my bill it made my account look bad and thats why my spending limit was decreased to $1500 (WITHOUT NOTICE) and now i have to put down 20 percent on whatever device i wanted to get if i wasnt over my limit. But if i was over my limit i would have to pay for the device full cash price up front. Only then when i questioned why i was told to do promise to pay to push my payments out and wasnt told the consequence of that action is when they told me i can actually change my billing cycle date. So basically, i did what i was told by a customer service rep and always paid on the promise to pay on the exact date i said i was or sometimes sooner, now i have to be limited on upgrades????? This is so inconvenient and frustrating. So NOW, i finally got a rep to change my bill cycle but the other consequence to that is that i will have 2 bills in one month. OHHHHH GREAT!! It seem like i cant win, i have to pay 2 bills, my account is limited AND i cant get the phone upgrade i want next month. I am SOOOOOOO Disapointed in Verizon and I will not be putting up with this run around that much longer. Verizon receives a payment from me faithfully EVERY month and this is what i get??? I guess all the perks and things are only at the opening of your account after that they do not even care. They tell you what you want to hear just to get you. When is Verizon going to realize the company would be nothing without their customers!!!! If i can not get the upgrade that i want as a PAYING customer i will not be doing business with Verizon anymore.

Labels (1)
Re: Why is spending limit decreased without notification?
Atlas07
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm have the exact same issue. I'm just wanting to upgrade to a new phone that actually costs less per month than the one I have now. This device spending limit was never explained. I had never heard of it till I wanted to upgrade this phone. I've heated of allowed lines per your credit check but not this device spending limit. They say a promise to pay keeps you in good standing but still hurts you as far as getting to upgrade. This is complete garbage. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's great to see you're interested in upgrading your device, and it's our priority that we access your account so that we can provide you with specific information regarding the possibility of upgrading to a device under our Device Payment Program and turn these feelings around. We've contacted you via a Private Message to continue assisting you.

GeovannJ_VZW

0 Likes
diorellacarlo

I just had the same thing happen to me. I was going to upgrade my husbands line as a christmas gift but they said I exceeded my limit of $400!!!!! I got an iphone x max exactly one year ago perfectly fine. I may not always be on time but they get money every month. On top of having cruddy service lately, I have like 5 tickets on service, and now I cannot upgrade. They are about to lose a customer that has been around for a while. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Diorellacarlo, getting a new phone for the holidays would certainly be an exciting gift. We are sorry to see that your limit has changed over time and the last thing we would ever wish is to lose you as a customer. Spending Limits are reviewed regularly and are based on many things, as indicated under number 2 at http://spr.ly/66081n8FA.   You mentioned service issues, when did this begin? Which services are affected? Is this happening on all lines or just a specific one?

LorenB_VZW  If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

vespinoza1987

I'm extremelty dissapointed with Verizon Wireless as well.  I've been in total with verizon for over 15 years. on my own line with family 5 years. All my devices are paid off.  I just paid off my Iphone X in december becuase i thought that it was affecting my wife from getting her upgrade. so i paid it off. and come to find out I only had 400 to spend of credit. which is absolutely crazy!  I cant upgrade to anything with that amount.  My poor wife had iphone 7plus with a cracked screen and litterally cried when she found out the crazy amount of over 600 dollar down payment for her to upgrade her phone, now ive got to make a decision for my daughters phone which she had and iphone 6. and running slow.

So I had to start making decisions especially with 4 lines under verizon.  I now had to have my mother in law add a new line and put that phone on hers and move my wifes over... This is just ridiculous.  I could not believe im unable to even get a smart watch without paying a huge downpayment. 

I might have to switch services since all my devices are paid off.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate your service over the last 15 years and don’t want to see you go to another provider. I’m sorry to hear about the cracked screen, I know it’s important for your wife to have a working device. The last thing we want is for her to be stressed about her phone. I have sent a private message so we may further assist, we look forward to your reply.

LaurenC_VZW

0 Likes
iphoneguy86
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have encountered the same exact thing. Bottom line, I spoke with their CORE team that handles credit and with their new Credit Model-it soft checks your credit every 30 days and if your the type of customer that doesn’t have your cell phone bill on auto pay where you’re never late or never have a “balance forward” or using a “Promise to Pay” expect to receive an adverse action letter informing you that your spending limit for devices is reduced to an amount that will barely cover a watch. And this is meanwhile your paying high tier pricing for their lackluster data speeds. I’m switching back to AT&T-AT&T has terrible customer service but they also have an excellent network for data and as greedy as they are they don’t hold your upgrading hostage unless you get suspended a couple times. I’m not so many words, Verizon’s new “credit model” is essentially holding customers to each payment and if your even a day late, that could place you in a category to get your spending limit reduced to an amount so low you can’t actually finance anything without paying the majority of the device up front. That’s outrageous and quite honestly borderline discriminatory and should be illegal. Verizon’s saying if you don’t pay us on time every month will ruin your ability to upgrade but in return our service will be choppy and have outages and you’ll just need to deal with it. This I fear is not something that will change and I’m not gonna stick around and wait for them to realize this new credit model is a greedy awful idea. If you want to take away spending limits or reduce them for people whom are suspended repeatedly and I don’t mean just once or that have multiple return payments or filed bankruptcy I don’t think that’s unreasonable. Lowering it for tenure customers that have a balance forward but then pay it along with your late fee that’s just corporate greed. 

0 Likes
iphoneguy86
Enthusiast - Level 3

It’s funny that none of their “Community Managers” will respond to anything I say on here because what can they say? I used to work for Verizon and part of the reason I was successful is I spoke my mind and and did what was right for the company and the customer. That’s why I won award after award and got sent all over the place on gifted travels. I only took a severance after they shut down the second location in a row I was working at so when I call and they try to talk to me like a bum it’s almost infuriating. Fix your credit model garbage before you catch a class action lawsuit and lose thousands of customers when they’re out of their contract and find out you quietly reduced their spending limit to almost nothing requiring a hefty down payment and people get angry off and take their devices and trade in and sign up elsewhere. And unless your investing all your network money in some crazy roll out that’s going to fix everyone’s complaints about slow speed your network is delivering subpar service right now to hundred of thousands nationwide so for you to be splitting hairs by zapping down device spending limits for people who had a “balance forward” or maybe one month used a “promise to pay” that’s both sad and greedy. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

iphoneguy86, we truly regret reading about your experience and dissatisfaction. We hope that we can regain your complete confidence to ensure that we can continue providing you with a stellar experience.

DavidC_VZW

0 Likes