Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 5,325 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Why has my service suddenly taken a VERY NOTICEABLE TURN FOR THE WORSE, in the 42053 Area?!?!
AORIAN_STARR

For the last 3 weeks, in the 42053 and 42001 areas, my Cell Services has been flat out terrible!  If it doesn't drop the call out-right, the call is so broken up, you can't understand the person on the other end.  Both my wife and I have the save kind of LG phone, and both act identical when we are at home or in the 42001 area.  When we get outside of that area, our service is back to pretty good!  Up til about 3 weeks ago, our services was as good as you could ask for, now it blows chunks to put it nicely!  I know other folks in the area are having similar issues but with smart phones of various models and makes.  Can anyone tell my why my once great cell service has disappeared in the 42053 and 42001 service areas?!?!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why has my service suddenly taken a VERY NOTICEABLE TURN FOR THE WORSE, in the 42053 Area?!?!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I depend on my service to work right so let's get this figured out. Are other services impacted (data or text)? Is this issue happening indoors or outdoors? Has anything changed in the area?

Alberto_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Why has my service suddenly taken a VERY NOTICEABLE TURN FOR THE WORSE, in the 42053 Area?!?!
AORIAN_STARR

It doesn't matter if your are inside or outside; in a house, in the yard, driving down the road, you can't understand because of the breaking up during talking or it just drops the call out right.  I a lot of the time, you get 2 to 10 seconds into a call and it drops.  Other times you only hear a part of a word your party is saying and vice versa, they only hear bits and pieces of what I am saying.  I check around, and my friends in the area say they are having exactly the same experience.  It is almost impossible for me or my wife to use our cellphones at times, in or around our home.  As for anything changing in the area, I don't know of anything, but that was what I was hoping you guys a Verizon could explain.  As for Data, we use dumb phones, so you would have to ask folks in the area that use smart phones.  I haven't noticed texts being lost, but then again, it would be hard to know if I missed a text.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how frustrating it can be to not be able to complete a phone conversation. Let's keep looking into the area and your device. What model LG are you both using? When was it last updated(*228 option 2 for 3G device, or power cycled for a 4G device)? What are you showing for signal on the device? Has this changed?  

Derek_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
AORIAN_STARR

Our phones work perfectly when we go to Paducah or anywhere else.  Calls are clear and never drop.  So why is it that people we call, can't hear us when we are calling from our home or Kevil area?  If our calls were crappy regardless of where we were, I would tend to believe it was a firmware issue, but service is only terrible in and around our home in Kevil, KY.  Signal Strength now is a bar or less.  Used to be 4 bars, not more than 4 weeks ago.

0 Likes
GTM1957

Over the last several months our cell service has dropped off noticeably in zip code 31036.  It is our own phone and our neighbors. We have always had stellar reception until recently.  What is happening?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the information, AORIAN_STARR. One of the first steps to looking into a network concern is to document troubleshooting on an affected device. This rules out any device issues, and gathers information on how the device and network are talking to each other. May I please have the make and model of the phone you would like to use for this?

0 Likes
AORIAN_STARR

My phone is the LG VN250, my wife's is a newer model of the same phone.  I've been told by friends who have Verizon, that they have similar issues, but they have iPhones.  To be honest, if we can't get this fixed, we are considering changing to another cell carrier.  We MUST HAVE RELIABLE SERVICE FROM HOME.  Buying a BOOSTER is NOT going to be an option we will accept, as I know something has change with the cell coverage in our area, that appears to a cell site issue.  I've been a Verizon customer since 2006, if I am not mistaken, and always had pretty good to great service at our home.  If my phone had started having problems alone, I might believe it is an issue with my equipment, but when both my wife and my phone start having issues at exactly the same time, and both phone work flawlessly when we are in other areas, I know something is wrong with our cell tower that services our area at home.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

AORIAN_STARR,

Thank you for the clarification of the device models, since it helps us with troubleshooting the device signal concerns. I know how vital it is to have service at and around your house, and I wouldn't want to spend extra money on a booster either if I were in your shoes. Your loyalty to us since 2006 is priceless, and we certainly don't want to see you go. Let's get the signal back to where it needs to be for you and your surrounding Verizon neighbors.

I do want to make sure that we have done our due diligence troubleshooting the phone to make sure all is up to date with its communication to the network. By doing this step, it will make certain that your phone knows what tweaks have been made to the local towers, and improve your signal accordingly. To update your phone with the network, Over the Air programming (OTA) is completed by dialing *228 and then selecting option 2. Here is a great resource you can keep for future reference: http://spr.ly/6581DlChc.

After completing that step and the phone goes through its update, I would like to make sure your settings are correct. Following the link provided here: http://spr.ly/6584DlChm, please make sure both devices match the settings shown.

Keep us in the loop with your progress. If the same signal issues persist after the updates/changes, we'll be here to address the matter.

Ryan_VZW

0 Likes
AORIAN_STARR

Did you updates you suggested, service is still so bad, it is virtually unusable in Kevil, KY area.  Both my wife's phone and my phone, same horrible issues.  If we can't get this fixed we will have to find another provider.  This service is utterly ridiculous, and the fact that someone who has been a customer for so long is treated so poorly, says volumes about Verizon. 

0 Likes