Why has my data limit changed prematurely?
miniviking10

So if you read my thread from a few days ago, everything I've dealt with Verizon customer service has been a complete nightmare. Long story short, I ended up agreeing to change my plan from unlimited to 5gb limit. Well, I just noticed on MyVerizon that they changed my limit to a prorated limit of 1.290 which is completely random. I wasn't too worried yesterday when it said I was using 0 out of 1.290gb. I wake up today, and it says my usage blasted to 3.420/1.290gb which is over the "new" limit...which btw, I don't think should have changed just because I placed the order that day. I HAVEN'T EVEN RECEIVED MY NEW PHONE AND ACTIVATED IT YET. I'M STILL USING MY OLD PHONE. So not only did they screw up my previous order and blatantly lied to me about their available plans, but now they are screwing up my data plans before I even get the new phone. MyVerizon is saying I'm going to end up paying overage charges because of this. I should still be on my UNLIMITED DATA PLAN until I get my new phone. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why has my data limit changed prematurely?
rcschnoor
Legend

derik72090 wrote:

Third, you said there's a way to make the data change to the next billing cycle, yet it wasn't offered to me at the time of the plan change. So basically they "forgot" and now I'm going to be paying for overages that I shouldn't have to pay for to begin with?

This is simply because you must still be eligible for your "current" data plan to make the change at the beginning of the next billing cycle.

When purchasing a new phone at a discount, you automatically lose unlimited data because you have entered into a new contract. You are no longer eligible for unlimited data and therefore could not have made the change effective at the beginning of your next billing cycle. Your 2 choices would have been at the beginning of your "current" billing cycle OR on the date of the purchase.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
miniviking10

Other information- I have been connected to my wi-fi in the past two days since I made my order to upgrade. The next due date for our current bill is tomorrow 08/07/14.

0 Likes
miniviking10

So therefore, there is ZERO% chance I've used over 3gb of data in two days.

0 Likes
Not applicable

First unless you shelled out the full price of the phone you did not agree to change from unlimited data. You lost it buy paying 1/4 the price of the device which can run as high as $800+

Additionally when you purchased the new phone the data plan changes to either pro rata for the data plan taking what you already used into the equation and then you would pay for the overages.

There is a way to make the data change to the next billing cycle but it was not offered to you at time of plan change.

There is also payments in advance and a $30 upgrade fee which is added to your account. This will make your next invoice much higher.

Good Luck

0 Likes
miniviking10

First off, I knew I was going to lose the unlimited data before I upgraded my phone. There wasn't anyway around it.

Second, what kind of business practice is it for them to change my current plan to a pro-rate while I still have my phone? What you're basically telling me is that I'm going to be paying overages for this whole month of data usage just because I upgraded my phone a month early when I should still be on the unlimited data plan until I activate the new phone?

Third, you said there's a way to make the data change to the next billing cycle, yet it wasn't offered to me at the time of the plan change. So basically they "forgot" and now I'm going to be paying for overages that I shouldn't have to pay for to begin with?

Fourth, I already paid for the $30 upgrade fee when I purchased the phone over the phone with the rep. My total came to be $247 and I did free shipping. She told me they factored in the $30 upgrade fee and it reflects with the taxes when it comes to $247. So it should not reflect in the account since I paid for it up front.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

derik72090 wrote:

This is simply because you must still be eligible for your "current" data plan to make the change at the beginning of the next billing cycle.

When purchasing a new phone at a discount, you automatically lose unlimited data because you have entered into a new contract. You are no longer eligible for unlimited data and therefore could not have made the change effective at the beginning of your next billing cycle. Your 2 choices would have been at the beginning of your "current" billing cycle OR on the date of the purchase.

0 Likes
miniviking10

So you're saying I didn't have a choice? Thanks for the clarification.

0 Likes
radpp16
Enthusiast - Level 2

Fight to get back your unlimited data plan. Do not let this go.

0 Likes
Not applicable

You can fight all you want. When you buy a device at a discounted price you lose unlimited data.

Those are the choices you are given at time of upgrade. Pay full price keep unlimited data.

Good Luck

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@derik72090,

A new phone is always an exciting time! I apologize for all the head aches cause with the data plan change.

When accepting a discount when you upgrade you are no longer able to keep unlimited data. If the change was done in the middle of the cycle the data allowance is prorated. I apologize that this was not fully explained when you upgraded.

Did you switch to the More Everything plan http://vz.to/1lwOwRQ or did you switch to the tiered data plan? If you switch to More Everything you can increase your data and backdate to the beginning of the bill cycle to avoid any overage. Keep us posted if you need further assistance.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes