Why does my LG Exalt regularly drop to 'Privacy Mode' and me and my caller only able to speak by pulling over and pressing 'OK' on the phone to switch it to a regular cell - not Bluetooth enabled at that point? Others have asked this but never gotten an a
Jallen2
Enthusiast - Level 2

What happens to my 2014 Ford Escape and my LG Exalt is simply this . . . The Exalt actually goes into Privacy Mode - no set pattern - but daily. If you pick up the Exalt handset you just hit 'OK' and it will connect you on the phone with your call and caller - but not over the voice command module in the Ford Sync system.

Opening the flip phone DOES NOT solve the problem.

It is maddening that one of the cheapest phones out there can't sync with Sync . . . even with Bluetooth 3.0

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why does my LG Exalt regularly drop to 'Privacy Mode' and me and my caller only able to speak by pulling over and pressing 'OK' on the phone to switch it to a regular cell - not Bluetooth enabled at that point? Others have asked this but never gotten
Not applicable

We want to help stop the madness Jallen2! Do the circumstances you described only happen when connected to your vehicle bluetooth? Have you tested with a stand alone bluetooth device such as a headset or speaker?

JonathanK_VZW

VZW Support

Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Why does my LG Exalt regularly drop to 'Privacy Mode' and me and my caller only able to speak by pulling over and pressing 'OK' on the phone to switch it to a regular cell - not Bluetooth enabled at that point? Others have asked this but never gotten
Jallen2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Jonathan . . . The only place I use Bluetooth with the LG Exalt is in my 2014 Ford Escape. I have not tested the phone with other Bluetooth devices.

My old phone was a 5 year old Samsung Gusto flip phone and worked flawlessly. Go figure, eh? Not all of us need smartphones - and perhaps the software engineers have a bias against flip phones . . . lol

It also - pretty consistently - has signal blanks where words get interrupted by silence - and regularly switches automatically to Privacy Mode - plus it has difficulty disconnecting at times. The only way to clear it is to turn off the phone - then switch back on. I've deleted the connections repeatedly to see if that clears it up. Nope.

It's obviously a connectivity issue between Bluetooth and Ford Sync - or perhaps the phone. Any ideas?

Close to taking back to the Verizon store and getting a crappy phone like I had.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for the insight you were able to provide, Jallen2. Is the device open while its paired with the bluetooth?

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Jallen2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've tried that. It does NOT work. Open or closed, the Exalt still drops calls. No difference in the lessening of the dropped calls with it open. It does it indiscriminately. Some phones or contacts seem to be worse, even.

I find that an odd 'fix' to try anyway. What's the point of a flip phone that you have to leave open?? And if it works with the phone closed, then that's not a good solution either - never mind that it doesn't work?

Next solution?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jallen2,

Hmm that is odd, just to be sure is your phone's software up to date? Are you experiencing any other issues? How long have you had your LG Exalt for?

KarenC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Jallen2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have updated the software - and the phone was purchased in February . . . So is it a Ford issue or an LG issue or a Verizon/Bluetooth issue?

~J

0 Likes
Jallen2
Enthusiast - Level 2

It should be easy for you tech support people to find the answer to this problem . . . I did with some aggressive searching. This is a Ford SYNC and Microsoft issue. So you should rid your boards of all the frustrated users with Ford SYNC and Verizon by sending them elsewhere for the fix:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpnetwork/ford-windows-microsoft-sync/c4fd1a4b...http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpnetwork/ford-windows-microsoft-sync/c4fd1a4b...

<Here's a little more information on the issue.  I found this on Ford's website in a PDF.  It's a Service Bulletin.  Search Ford Sync tsb10-02-08.pdf and you'll find it.

In a nutshell, when communication breaks down, Sync defaults to Privacy Mode.  Ford indicates the phone is at fault but I believe both WP8 and Sync are at fault.
NOTE:

PRIVACY MODE MEANS THAT THE PHONE IS CONTROLLING THE AUDIO. SYNC ONLY MAKES REQUESTS TO THE PHONE TO TRANSFER THIS RESPONSIBILITY OR AUDIO TO SYNC. IF THE PHONE DOES NOT ACCEPT THIS REQUEST OR THERE IS A PROBLEM IN THE COMMUNICATION TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN, YOU ARE BY DEFAULTIN PRIVACY MODE.>

<I have looked at this issue on other forums and have a few thoughts to share. The problem appears to be that Ford and Microsoft WP8 use different technology profiles.  Sync doesn't get the info it needs from WP8 and defaults to privacy mode - which means you have to touch the phone in order to make it work. Either you:

1) manually dial (or speak into the phone after holding the windows button) when calling out

2) answer the incoming call manually on the phone 

3) answer the call through sync controls and then hold the phone to your ear in manual (privacy) mode for the remainder of the call.

The tech issue is that sync and the phone don't agree on how to hand the call routing.

The human issue is that WP8 is not a hands free device because you actually have to handle the phone. I am a Microsoft employee who just bought a WP8 and stopped using my Android and I'm thinking about going back to my Android so I can have legal hands free calling. >

0 Likes
ROBPAR90

I am having the SAME dropout problem with my 2017 RAV4. It worked just fine with my old flip phone. Only when I get this LG Exalt, did I start experiencing dropouts. I worked with Toyota and rebooted my car system, deleted on both systems the Bluetooth connection and any memory of it, updated the Exalt software as instructed by Verizon. It's dangerous and frustrating. So it's NOT just with Ford. I'm looking at 20 more payments of $6 to pay a phone off that doesn't meet my needs. Needless to say, this just may be the last straw.. Long time Verizon customer. I guess they want me on a smartphone again, and I'm not interested.

0 Likes