Why does Verizon expect me to buy a wireless network extender?
punkriffic

My wife and I have been Verizon customers for 15 years for reasons that aren't entirely clear. We recently moved (less than two miles) and now our phones do not work in our new home. Period. In order to make or receive a call or text, I have to physically leave my home and go outside. I live in Florida, it rains and is usually pretty hot. You can see why I would consider this an inconvenience.

I spent over an hour on the line with "tech support" only to be told that I live in a magic "null area" between two towers and would it please be my honor to buy a $250 wireless network extender? So, let's be honest, I laughed. I pay for my service as it is. Quite a bit. Even with a discount through work. They let me know that service isn't guaranteed in a building, even AFTER they tell me that I live in a "null zone". (Oddly enough, my best friend is on Sprint and can talk all day long inside my house.) I work in what would best be described as a concrete bunker and my phone works there, but on my days off, apparently I'm expected to "rough it" and go drive around if I need to communicate with my wife. To be fair, the guy said they'd offer one to me for $100 off, but I'm more interested in getting the service I pay for at the price I already pay for it.

I don't have a home phone, I don't want a home phone. I'm supposed to be living in the future where things are wireless and are expected to work without tying me down or making me go outside when it's like...90-ish.

So, how about it Verizon? Can you make this right, or do I just man up and pay the ETF and become a new Sprint customer?

Thanks,
Chris and Jen Hedeen

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why does Verizon expect me to buy a wireless network extender?
rcschnoor
Legend

punkriffic wrote:

I'm supposed to be living in the future where things are wireless and are expected to work without tying me down

You have fallen into a common misconception about cellular devices. You may EXPECT them to work, but the fact remains that because they ARE wireless, they do not work everywhere NOR are they expected to NOR are they guaranteed to. Simply because you EXPECT something to work everywhere does not make it true.

IF having a cellular signal in your home is important AND you are unwilling to pay for the network extender even when Verizon offers 40% off the price, then you should go with another provider which does have good signal inside your home. Hopefully your new provider will not have a problem with service in any other areas where you consider it a necessity and is harder to find a work around.

0 Likes
Re: Why does Verizon expect me to buy a wireless network extender?
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I had the same situation. I had perfect reception when I was outside on my front porch but when I walked in the house it drops to spotty at best. So I would say you pay the ETF and switch then you pay $35 activation fee per line and the price of your new devices. Don't you think all of this would be greater than the cost of purchasing the network extender? The good thing is that the network extender will work in any home and does not cost any more monthly. Then they offered you $100 off the network extender? What a deal. They gave you a solution and you didn't take it? I am sure that they'd increase the coverage in your area if they could but putting up new towers is isn't as easy as you think. If your service works outside then the've done their job. Inside is a bonus.

0 Likes