Why does VZNavigator YELL street names?
Morindj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been using VZ Navigator for over a year and have loved it.   Several weeks ago, it has started to YELL the street names. 

I have an LG Env2 and have been very happy with it.    

Several weeks ago, when using VZ Navigator, all the verbal prompts were fine, until it got to the street name, then it would YELL it so loud that it is distorted.  Often I cannot understand what it says.   For example, it might say "continue on for .2 miles, then turn right on BARRY ROAD".   The Barry Road part was very loud and distorted.

My local Verizon store commented that maybe my LG Env2 speakers were defective.   But, the problem occurs even when I am using my Bluetooth handsfree unit.   All the prompts are fine, until it gets to the street name.

It sounds like my wife yelling at me!   :smileyhappy:

In summary, all the VZ Navigator prompts are fine, except when it gets to the street name, the it YELLS it at you.   I have tried other voices (I like Michelle the best) but they all do it.   Does not matter

Anyone else having this problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why does VZNavigator YELL street names?
Morindj
Enthusiast - Level 3

While I was the one to start this thread, I will be the one to close it.   :smileywink:

I have not used VZ Navigator in several weeks, but today used it to find a location.  Was I ever surprised when it did not "Yell" street names at me.   Then I programmed it to get me home, and sure enough, it worked fine.  No more yelling of street names!

So... Somewhere in the last several weeks, Verizon fixed it.   I reported the problem to the local Verizon store months ago, and had put in several calls to Tech Support.    They all agreed it was a problem but nobody would confirm it would be resolved, or get back to me.   Given that they have millions of Customers, I can understand why.   I gave up trying to make it an issue.   But since it has been resolved, I must say "Thanks" to Verizon for fixing it.

I like VZ Navigator and Michelle again now that she does not yell at me any more.   Now, If I could just get my wife to stop...   Oh, I digress!  :smileyvery-happy:

Dave

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Morindj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have experimented with Navigator more, and the issue is really not the yelling of street names, but the inconsistent volume used in the spoken directions.    It might say for example:  “Continue on for .4 miles, then turn right on BARRY ROAD”.   The first half of the direction is fine,  but the street name is loud and distorted.  If I turn down the volume so the street name is fine, then the 1st half is too low and cannot be heard.

I have always wished the Navigator volume was louder, and if they raised the volume for the entire spoken direction, then a user could simply adjust their particular phone volume lower.   Maybe that would cover the range of phones that have varying degrees of volume control.

With all that said, maybe the problem is really “Inconsistent Volume” in the spoken directions, and not the street names being “Yelled”.  Just more of my thoughts.

Any other thoughts?   Or am I alone in this issue?  :smileyhappy:

P.S.   The Manager at my local Verizon store has the same problem on her phone.

0 Likes
Lightninrod
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, this isn't going to help any but whether I'm running my Garmin Nuvi 660 or my Alias2 with VZNavigator, I put them on 'mute'.  I don't want to hear the directions.  If I think I need to, I'll just click on the upcoming turn and view it in advance.

0 Likes
Morindj
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Lightninrod,

Thanks for the suggestion, and that would surely work.   But, since I prefer to keep my eyes on the road, I look at the VZ Navigator display infrequently.   Guess I like the "Back seat driver telling me what to do".   :smileyhappy:   Oh well.  I do appreciate the verbal prompts Navigator has.

To everyone,

To share more of what has transpired as we try to figure out what is going on...

My local Verizon store gratiously swapped my phone out with a replacement, and it has the same problem.

The store Manager has the same problem on her phone, I think it was a Blackberry, and has submitted a problem report, or whatever it was called, up through her support people.

I did call Technical Support afterwards, and reminded them that the problem persists.  The woman I spoke with on the phone, knew exactly what I was talking about, and I got the impression she was experiencing the same problem (she was non-commital) occurring on her phone.   She also commented that it could be that different phone models have the problem to varying degrees or not at all.   That makes sense.   She committed to submit a problem report too.

It is interesting nobody else has jumped in saying they have the problem too.    Maybe it is just a few of us?

So, that is it for now.  Thanks for listening.

Dave

0 Likes
Randy-56

I have exactly the same problem.  Just started all of a sudden a few weeks ago.  I've tried all of the various settings on my phone, even reloaded the navigator app, same problem.  I definitely think it's a Verizon problem, not your phone.  Our phones would not just pick out only the street names and say them so loud they are distorted.  They probably pull the data from separate databases and merge into a direction command.  One database has the merge levels set too high, I believe.

0 Likes
Jim_Senn

I am experiencing the exact same problem with an LG Dare.  It worked fine for months, then over the Labor Day weekend started the street name "yelling".

I have seen other comments in "the boards" regarding this issue.

I have contacted Verizon several times and had two "tickets" opened and then closed with no results.  They want to replace the handset now, but from what I am seeing here, that won't resolve the issue either.

It appears that the db level of the street names has been increased at the server download level and is now too high.

I have given up trying to get it resolved and have stopped using the service due to the aggravation level.

Good luck in your quest.  It does not appear that Verizon is interested in going to the 3rd party app supplier and working this out.

0 Likes
Morindj
Enthusiast - Level 3

While I was the one to start this thread, I will be the one to close it.   :smileywink:

I have not used VZ Navigator in several weeks, but today used it to find a location.  Was I ever surprised when it did not "Yell" street names at me.   Then I programmed it to get me home, and sure enough, it worked fine.  No more yelling of street names!

So... Somewhere in the last several weeks, Verizon fixed it.   I reported the problem to the local Verizon store months ago, and had put in several calls to Tech Support.    They all agreed it was a problem but nobody would confirm it would be resolved, or get back to me.   Given that they have millions of Customers, I can understand why.   I gave up trying to make it an issue.   But since it has been resolved, I must say "Thanks" to Verizon for fixing it.

I like VZ Navigator and Michelle again now that she does not yell at me any more.   Now, If I could just get my wife to stop...   Oh, I digress!  :smileyvery-happy:

Dave

0 Likes