Why discourage new customers?
loyalcurmudgeon

After decades with car phones, then cell phones, I thought the time had come yesterday for me to get my first smart phone.  I had a mobile hot spot and an IPad when I was working, but I let that go when I retired a year ago.  Now, I expect to be a minimal data user, but it would be nice to have access occasionally without reliance on wifi networks.  And to lend some urgency, I lost my phone, or so I thought.

So I picked out a device that would work for me, but then was shocked to hear that the minimum plan was 2G, and $360/year.  For tethering, an additional ripoff that ran the cost to $600/year.  For someone like me, and I suspect for many others who pay for these things out of pockets that are limited in size, that's a deal-killer.  Not true, I read, for teens and 20-somethings.  Still, I think Verizon is missing a market in more folks than me. 

I found my trusty LG Octane, which gives me time to start this discussion, and hopefully talk some sense into Verizon Wireless Services.  I've been a loyal customer for a long time, and am not inclined to switch.  But this is a silly policy that I suspect even costs Verizon money.  Anyone on my side?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why discourage new customers?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You could switch to the Share Everything plan, although if you switch, you can't switch back if you decide you don't like the plan.  A smartphone has a $40 line access fee, then for an additional $50 you'd get 1 GB data, unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and hotspot (although the data for the hotspot would come out of your 1 GB allowance).  Of course, taxes/fees (and insurance, if applicable) would be in addition to the $90.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I'm on your side. People have been wanting to use smartphones without data plans probably since you had a car phone, but I don't see that ever happening, unfortunately. The good news is, the Octane seems to be a good basic phone if that's all you need.

Not applicable

Actually a NEW customers wouldn't have the choice of the plan you mentioned. They would have a Share Everything plan. Share Everything plans include tethering. Sorry you feel that paying for thing like data is a burden. But I know what you mean when I walk into McDonald's I keep thinking "Why do they expect me to PAY for food?". If you plan on tethering I can assure you you would use more than 2 GB and that's another thing, it's 2 GB not 2G that is something different entirely.

As was said you can opt for a Share Everything plan tethering included and you can get as litlle as 1 GB.

0 Likes
Not applicable

SydneyK wrote:

I'm on your side. People have been wanting to use smartphones without data plans probably since you had a car phone, but I don't see that ever happening, unfortunately. The good news is, the Octane seems to be a good basic phone if that's all you need.

If you want to use a device without a data plan get a tablet.

0 Likes
loyalcurmudgeon

Share Everything is not an option.  I'm paying $75 now on a family plan with 3 phones, and just want to substitute a smart phone for one of them.  If I do that via Share everything, the total goes somewhere over $150/month. 

0 Likes
loyalcurmudgeon

I have an IPad without cell service.  A smartphone would just be another screen, which is another reason I'm not willing to pay a lot for the convenience.

0 Likes
loyalcurmudgeon

I was unaware that Verizon had discontinued family plans like mine.  Wow.

0 Likes
Not applicable

No, Verizon is not trying to be a low cost supplier.  They sell a premium product for a premium price.  I pay $30 for data (unlimited for now) plus $30 for tethering (also unlimited).  It's not cheap, but worth it to me.  I've been retired for 9 years this month and loving every minute of it.

0 Likes
Not applicable

New customers have to be on Share Everything plans. Current customers have the option of staying on the old plans or going to Share Everything. Once you switch you can't switch back. This plan went into effect over 9 months ago.

0 Likes