Why did my bill increase without notification?
ThoroughlyUnsatisfied
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received a bill that was $20 more than what I normally pay.  I contacted Verizon, and I was notified that this was due to my unlimited data plan.  I informed the representative that I did not receive any communication concerning this.  Verizon sends automated communication each month, but they can't send communication on changes that affect customers?  As a customer, I should have been allowed the option to choose to go in this direction or not.  No options were provided.  The representative told me that my plan was "grandfathered".  So if that is true, then why was a change made to my plan.  He then says that "Verizon" was waiting for customer's contracts to end that had unlimited data.  Now, again, if that was true, then why didn't this change occur over 3 years ago, when my plan ended?  Or the 4 years before that when I purchased the phone at retail and wasn't under a contract?  When I spoke to someone else, he wanted to convince me that this was better as I had the option to upgrade and not lose my plan for unlimited data.  I stated to him that I feel that if my plan was modified by Verizon, then the hotspot that I currently pay for should be included in my plan, as it is with the other plans.  He too then states that he can't because my plan is "grandfathered".  That just doesn't make sense to me.  So one aspect is "grandfathered", and another aspect isn't?  It is "grandfathered" when it benefits them.  So my plan is "grandfathered", which apparently isn't true, and Verizon was waiting for me to not be under contract anymore, which also is apparently not true.  So why the change, when the logic in what you are telling me isn't there?  And there was no effort to satisfy me as a customer (no credit or anything since I didn't get notification).  For me to pay $180 for my plan with the now $20 extra and the $30 for the hotspot that everyone now gets added, is ridiculous, and this is on a single line.  I can go to another carrier and get more for less.  I simply wanted the hotspot added into the plan, that they already modified, but it is "grandfathered".  Again, just something to say for their convenience.  This is completely unfair and not worth having them if they don't communicate or work to satisfy customers (longtime customers).  I have been with Verizon for many years, and have purchased many phones at full retail because I didn't want to lose my plan (and definitely didn't want to pay extra).  This is just completely and utterly unfair, unjust, and unsatisfying. 

Labels (1)
Re: Why did my bill increase without notification?
mama23dogs
Legend

Everyone was notified on their bill on if they logged into their account.

BUt no one really ready their bill anymore do they?

You  clearly don't understand what your "grandfathered" status means.  It means you are allowed to keep the plan you signed up for 3-5 years ago, with unlimited data, no tethering and limited talk and text.  However, there has not been a contract offered for that plan in over 5 years and all contracts expired at least 3 years ago.

Verizon has the right to increase the price of a plan, change a plan or discontinue a plan. 

You don't have a choice in the new price, but you can always change you plan To the new Verizon plan If you don't want to pay it. 

mama23dogs
Legend

FYI other customers are paying $50 a month for 5 GBS of data and $20 line fee and still have to buy their phones at full retail.

VErizon waited for the number of unlimited plans to end on their own.  Now under 11% of customers, they decided to pull the trigger, knowing customers would pay or switch.  Either way if fine with Verizon, but you might want to look at your data use and price of data with other carriers that cover your area.

ThoroughlyUnsatisfied
Enthusiast - Level 2

So again, you validate my point.  If YOU yourself say that people don't read bills anymore, then another method of communication should be required.  Technology is evolving.  I don't have to log into my account, as I pay it via #768, and it is the same every month, until this month.  Now you said the plans expired 3 years ago, so that would mean this change "should" have taken affect then, but it didn't (that is if they were "waiting for the contracts to end").  I have had this same plan for well over 8 years, and again, there wasn't the appropriate notification with the evolution of technology.  And as for grandfathered, if I am told by a representative that if I modify in any way, then I lose the "grandfathered" aspect, but Verizon can make whatever changes they can, and it doesn't make the "grandfathered" aspect invalid.  Hmmmmm...that of course doesn't make any sense to me.  As I mentioned, if you are going to change a plan to accommodate the increase in data usage because of the Applications, as I was told, then make that plan fall in line with others, which was a big part of what I was saying.  If all other plans now have hotspot included, and you essentially modified my plan, then there should be a give and take.  Apparently you work for Verizon, which would make sense with why you would comment the way that you do.  Either way, like you said, customers will either pay or leave (me)!!  Thank you!!!!

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

So you don't bother to check your bill every month and just pay it automatically?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

ThoroughlyUnsatisfied
Enthusiast - Level 2

You would be correct, because it HASN'T changed in ALL of the years I have had the plan or the carrier.  Any change, like this one, is easily visible.  With your question, then why do they send out an automated text telling you to view your bill if it is just going to come in the mail or via email?  Why send me a text to verify that I have submitted a payment?  Or why send an email that my bill is late, especially when one knows that they haven't paid it?  Yes....why send out ALL of these reminders that one is completely aware of?  All I am saying is there could be another form of automated communication when changes are made!!!  Be consistent!! 

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

It may have been nice for Verizon to notify in multiple ways but they aren't required to.  Just like customers aren't required to read their monthly bills but should knowing that every bill includes notes about upcoming changes, specials, etc. If you as a customer don't bother to review their monthly bills (trust me, it doesn't take long. It actually takes you more time to make a payment on the website than it does to review the pdf bill) then you opted to not review notifications that occur. This is true for any company whose bills you don't review every month.

And no, before you accuse me too of working for Verizon...I don't. I do however make it a priority to review my bills for everything so I can make sure no erroneous errors occur...because they sometimes do. It would be great if Verizon would allow us to get free hotspot on the unlimited plan but I don't see it unless they increase the price some more and then call it free. Technically you're wanting a $29.99 feature (hotspot for us) for $9.99 less a month. As much as I would love to see that happen I know realistically it probably won't or it would defeat Verizon's purpose in increasing the unlimited data price.

Now if you weren't notified at all (including the notice that was on previous month billing for most people) then you may be able to request a $20 credit for one month...it would be easy to prove that the notification wasn't in your bill. Otherwise there isn't much you can do at this point except decide to keep unlimited and pay the increase, look into a tiered data plan option, or look into other carriers that may fit your needs. Not the answer that makes most happy but it's what we have available to us.

ThoroughlyUnsatisfied
Enthusiast - Level 2

I completely understand your eloquent response.  It's interesting that you mention other companies, as I normally get a phone call from mine (car payment, insurance, etc), but I am sure that is not the case for all.  And I also understand that we should do our due diligence and review our bills (just my comfort as it hasn't changed in 8 years).  I still state and stand by the fact that, for Verizon to avoid missed communication, they should utilize the same automated system they utilize to communicate reminders in ALL other areas, all surrounding the same bill that you reference.  But again, I do understand where you are coming from.  Thank you

mama23dogs
Legend

They notified you, they aren't required to make you read it too.

I Don't get the fuss.  Either it's worth it to you, or not.

Verizon could just end the plan entirely.  They could have ended or raised the price 3 years ago.

If you aren't using enough data to make the extra $20 a month worth it, then price out the new plan, or a new carrier.

Its the beauty of the free enterprise system.

Not applicable

I completely agree with you. The same people who are screaming switch plans have seen their talk and text plan go down tremendously while having free hotspot. For customers who have unlimited data with a hotspot they are paying 60 per month plus 40-90 a month depending on the talk/text plan they have....150 plus taxes. Unlimited plans were already paying their fair share of the overall cost to have Verizon Service. Now adding an additional $20 to the bill is ridiculous.

Yes those on tiered plans had  a specific amount of data but we essentially had the same thing with the talk an text unless you have unlimited. The bills charges were just reversed.

Yes it is very feasible to have a bill that is essentially similar to an installment loan and not check your bill. If you have a car note or similar installment loan many people do not read the bill monthly.

I agree with you, Verizon has evolved to notify customers every possible way with minor things. Now this major change and as I was told it is on page 6 near the bottom of most people's October bill.

It seems like something strategically done, knowing that a lot of customers do not read their bills. I have never had any major notification from Verizon sent to me via my bill. I have always received a text message, email, or notice in the my documents area of my online account.