Why did Verizon come to the Alaska market when their coverage is so poor?
gsmalaska

Even while using the phone in Anchorage, I continually receive a message that my phone is roaming to ACS's service.  I took my first road trip after signing up for Verizon and my coverage is extremely poor on the Seward and Sterling Hwys.  When I queried Verizon they stated that they only have 3G outside Anchorage.  Additionally, when I queried about Homer and Kenai/Soldotna service they stated they had "limited service" 4G LTE, in Kenai and possibly Homer.  This is in direct conflict with the information I was given prior to signing up.The techs on phone stated "that their data service was much better and the coverage more thorough".

I had better coverage and data with ACS. I will be returning my devices and having discussions with State folks about false advertising.

Beware study before you sign up.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why did Verizon come to the Alaska market when their coverage is so poor?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Last I heard, Verizon Wireless only has a LTE network in Alaska. The CDMA voice and 3G EDVO network is roaming on the local ACS carrier.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

gsmalaska  Reliable service is important! We're worried that you want to leave us and want to do our best to improve your experience with our service. Since we offer 4G LTE coverage in Alaska, we would like the opportunity to help troubleshoot your service issues. What phone do you have? Tell us more about what happens when you make/receive calls/text/data.

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
gsmalaska

I have the new iPhone 6.

I have talked to telephonic customer support twice to no avail.  Please view my file.

Even while in Anchorage, often when I attempt to make a call I get a message that I am roaming on ACS's network and must use the area code while dialing a number.

Further, on leaving the Anchorage area I drop to 3G or 1x service.  when trying to use my hotspot, I get 3G or 1x service in Homer.

I specifically stated I needed 4G coverage and was told that Verizon had agreements and I would have complete service.  I realize Verizon is just moving into Alaska and has some tuning to do, but I am paying full price, therefore expect full coverage.  Further, while dealing with this issue I receive email notice that my phone bill was due -$190.17.  This was a shock as I only had the phone 1 week, was told that may monthly bill would be $100.00.  So on checking, telephonically, since new hotspot internet connection was all but non-functional, I was told I had 2 device activation fees on this bill.  Again quite a shock since I was told Verizon was forgoing activation fees to set up it's new Alaska customers.

So yes, you are in the process of losing me as a customer.  I feel I have been deceived, lied to, and scammed. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The VZW reps here don't have access to anyone's account until the customer gives them specific permission after the rep sends that customer a Direct Message (DM) requesting it. FYI they haven't requested it yet as this conversation resides in the public view of the community forum.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LEt's make sure you are receiving the reliable service that you should expect and make sure the necessary corrections are made on your bill! I have sent you a Direct Message so that we can offer the personalized support that you deserve.

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes