Why can I get unlimited Verizon Service at Walmart for $45 but not here?
jevans9442
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm wondering if anyone knows why I can go down to Walmart and get a Verizon phone with unlimited internet, text and calling for $45 a month but when I go into a Verizon store I have to pay minimum $103 per month for a smaller service plan and then I also have to sign a ridiculous 2 year service agreement. Does anyone know why this is or should I ask the FTC? Please don't say it's because they give me a $600 phone for $100 because I just paid full price for an iPhone 5s.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why can I get unlimited Verizon Service at Walmart for $45 but not here?
shutterbug07
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon through walmart doesn't have unlimited everything for 45.. your probably talking about straight talk that will use some of verizons towers

View solution in original post

0 Likes
shutterbug07
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon through walmart doesn't have unlimited everything for 45.. your probably talking about straight talk that will use some of verizons towers

0 Likes
Chipster1960
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am thinking about transferring to a tracfone, you can transfer your current number as long as your Verizon account is no longer under a plan. It`s much cheaper plus they have specials to double/triple your minutes/text.data for a lifetime for the same price as one, even better is they will roll over any extra minutes/text/data onto the following month or after the next payment date. No contract is needed.

0 Likes
boxers_rule
Enthusiast - Level 1

Chipster - My grandpa has a Trac-fone; it's a (removed)!  He can never figure out how to add minutes, which aren't cheap.  Texts are deducted as minutes.  He forgets to renew them, as they expire frequently if you don't buy a year's worth at one time.  He has to get one of his kids to add his minutes for him; or, he wastes 3 hours going to Wal*Mart to have them do it!  Tracfone, does however, send plenty of texts reminding you when your minutes expire; and, usage expiration does show up on the face of the phone.  But, unless you're willing to put up with the hassle and expense, they do have a nice LG model.  Depending on where you buy it (like HSN.com), you can get double minutes for life.  Frankly, grandma and I like the paperless Verizon plan (she doesn't text), whereby the bill is the same, every month, and is paid for automatically; no muss - no fuss!

Comment edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Cruser2008
Contributor - Level 2

There is a simple answer to our question. Straight Talk is not Verizon, you can't use the same phones, you can use the same service and you won't have the same speeds.

jacobweber2000
Contributor - Level 2

The problem with walmart's "unlimited" plans is that they really are not unlimited, at least when it comes to DATA! Also, you will be forced to use the older 3g phones (or low end smartphones) and towers to keep prices low. Good luck trying to get a good 4g smartphone at a good price (not that VZW is selling their phones/services at a good price). VZW is blocking all prepaid phones, even their own, from their 4g network. I tried to buy a 4g phone and they wont activate it on prepaid. Until Congress steps in and passes laws to ban 2 year contracts (as they have done in Europe), this BS will continue. The other issue is the technology. All carriers use vastly different frequencies, and its expensive for a Cellphone manufacturer to make a phone that works on 6 or so different frequency ranges.

lesaglass

Verizon is out of their minds if they think doing away with the 'unlimited data' plan for those grandfathered in is a good idea.  I entered the store to look into the new 'edge' plan, where I can upgrade my phoone once a year.  Found out that this plan involves a monthly payment.  After going through the search for the new phone and it's details, I'm informed that I will no longer be grandfathered into the unlimited data plan.  I was outraged!  I have always been told that this plan will be available to me for as long as I stay with Verizon.  Verizon's service is good, but we already pay exorbitant prices for it.  Those were thought they were smart enough to stay with the plan should not be getting the shaft now for doing so. Frankly, it should be illegal.  I'm already shopping for a new service, so when my contract is up, I'm outta here unless something changes!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

lesaglass wrote:

Verizon is out of their minds if they think doing away with the 'unlimited data' plan for those grandfathered in is a good idea.  I entered the store to look into the new 'edge' plan, where I can upgrade my phoone once a year.  Found out that this plan involves a monthly payment.  After going through the search for the new phone and it's details, I'm informed that I will no longer be grandfathered into the unlimited data plan.  I was outraged!  I have always been told that this plan will be available to me for as long as I stay with Verizon.  Verizon's service is good, but we already pay exorbitant prices for it.  Those were thought they were smart enough to stay with the plan should not be getting the shaft now for doing so. Frankly, it should be illegal.  I'm already shopping for a new service, so when my contract is up, I'm outta here unless something changes!

The unlimited data plan wasn't part of the contract. When you purchase a new phone at the two year contract price, you are agreeing to the new terms and conditions of the new contract. One of those terms and conditions is no unlimited data plan only tiered data plan options

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

lesaglass wrote:

It IS available to you. You just can't get the two year pricing. So they didn't "lie"

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello lesaglass,

We apologize for the confusion surrounding your recent visit to our store. We always want to present the most applicable options to your situation. Do you mind sharing how much data you consume monthly? How many lines of service do you have? Are you aware that you can retain unlimited by paying full retail or utilizing http://vz.to/ZILXBT? Please keep us posted, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes