Re: Why are you throttling my unlimited data plan?I have been paying for unlimited for a long time and it is not abiding within the FCC laws!
Tidbits
Legend

Yes.

Contracts are AFTER you upgrade, and there is nothing in the contract that you will have the same terms as your previous contract.  Unlike popular belief.  You are not grandfathered to you previous terms and conditions or even contract.  You agree to the new terms and new contract every time.  They just let you keep your old plan at that point, and now Verizon made it a policy you have to be on a different plan if you want to continue signing contracts.

Re: Why are you throttling my unlimited data plan?I have been paying for unlimited for a long time and it is not abiding within the FCC laws!
BlingX
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes Brene. If you want to keep the unlimited you have to buy a phone with no contract and activate it on that line. Don't let them bully you into getting rid of it.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That includes NOT purchasing a phone under the Edge payment option. It has to be full retail price in one transaction in order to keep the unlimited data plan on your line.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Not applicable

BlingX wrote:

They are throttling my UDP plan as well starting as of last night from 5pm-6am. Today as of the same time frames.

No they are not. They do not throttle 4G data plans. 5-6 PM? Oh you mean the times when the network is being used the most? And you seriously wonder why your network speeds are slow. You think you're the only one in your are streaming video at that time?

0 Likes
Not applicable

breneewade wrote:

This is off the topic but I have a question about your "unlimited lifetime". I currently have unlimited data on our 3 lines but was told this evening if I upgrade any of the lines I will lose the unlimited data, have you experienced this?

I asked why I'm losing it since I was grandfathered in and they said because they have done away with the unlimited plans. Can they do this?

Thanks

This has been policy since June 28th 2012. Grandfathered does not mean forever. Unlimited data hasn't been offered since July 7th 2011.

jonny76
Enthusiast - Level 1

To all who hasn't been aware, Verizon does not throttle. However, they do "network optimization" for those who are within the top 5% of data users, which means those who use over 6.5GB of data per month. 

I have recently come to realize that I am also being throttled/optimized.  Since almost the past 2 months, I have noticed that if I go over 3GB within half a month, my 4G LTE will drop down to 3G and stay there until my upcoming month begins.  This is throttling not optimization; and I'm not talking about specific times, as some have mentioned, when those are the busiest times of day. This is the whole second half of the month after I've come to 3GB of usage.  Optimization is when they slow down your data speed during congested times of day (high data usage times) for others around the area to have a "balanced network stabilization". To me this is a load of crap since they have the ability to do as they please whenever to whoever they want and hope people are not letting on.  By doing this they are slowly killing my battery life.

That's my 2cents.

Not applicable

jonny76 wrote:

To all who hasn't been aware, Verizon does not throttle. However, they do "network optimization" for those who are within the top 5% of data users, which means those who use over 6.5GB of data per month.

Actually they WERE going to do that but people had such a fit the FCC gave Verizon a hard time about that and they scrapped those plans. Network optimization only occurs on 3G phones.

Not applicable

Having just check the numbers is see the top 5% has increased from 4.7 GB in March 2014 to 6.5 GB in Oct. I seem to remember lots of complaints of people thinking they would be throttled after 4.7 GB. Well guess what, as I predicted that would NOT have happened. I knew the top 5% would increase since average data use increases all the time. In fact at it's current rate by the end of 2015 the top 5% would be 12.4 GB. By the end of 2016 21.6 GB.