Why are you getting you to sign for a phone BEFORE they tell you info?
slapapham2129
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went into the Verizon store in Huber Heights, OH last week. We had just barely discussed switching my plan to the new $35/month for 2 gig service etc. Not until AFTER I signed for a new phone (and only then did they tell me I am now obligated to pay for said phone) did they tell me that in addition to the $35/month is a $20 a month service fee (and they never really explained that either).  Ticked off? You can say so. The ads are very deceptive - All over the store it says $35/month - it doesnt say PLUS $20 - oh sure my total it now SLIGHTLY less than the $60/month I was paying but now I have to pay for a phone on top of it. Had they told me this BEFORE they got me into the contract for the phone (very sneaky and underhanded operating procedures) I would have gone elsewhere. I have been with Verizon since 2002, never late on a payment and this is how you treat your long term customers? Even new customers should not be trapped into contracts like this! Yes, the FTC will hear of the underhanded tactics used by Verizon sales people.

Then I go back the next day to return a $30 cover that I can get on amazon for $10....I sign in at the door and they take care of 2 people before me - both of who came in AFTER me. Really?

Verizon, you are on my last nerve. You deceptively trap customers into contracts.....I should have known better. I just should have known better.......

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Getting you to sign for a phone BEFORE they tell you info
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you do any research on the Verizon Wireless website prior to this purchase? The account level fees and line access fees are clearly spelled out on the website. They are will be shown at the store too.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

gypsy63

Ugh, I have similar issue. I DID however notice the $20 "line access fee" noted online. My issue is that when I upgraded my phone at the advice of a phone service rep for a "super deal" plus a rebate on my old phone, I was not told that the line access fee of $20 would now be $40 for a 2 year contract!!!!!!!

I actually received a confirmation stating line access fee $20 last Oct 2015-Oct 2017, however I have recently noticed that the charge is $40 on my bill. I called just now to question it, wishing I had caught this sooner and expecting to get credited. I was told something to the effect of "since you upgraded your phone at a discounted rate, the phone is normally over $600, the line access charge goes up to $40 for the new 2 year contract. GRRRRRRRR.

Nobody has ever told me this over the phone when I upgraded. Its like they give you a $600 phone for $200 but they make up the difference by doubling the line access charge for 2 years to make up the difference, WITHOUT TELLING YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! Its a shady scheme.

SO VERY DISAPPOINTED. I ended up changing my phone plan to a plan that is $10 less per month to help me offset the extra charges. Verizon still wins.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Item number 3 in the FAQs. The Verizon Plan FAQs | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Weth
Legend

All this is completely avoidable with a minimal amount of research prior to going to the store or buying anything. Sales reps primary job is to make sales, and maximize them at that.

0 Likes
Toyota4x4van
Contributor - Level 3

Not to mention the fact that the OP could have easily 100% cancelled their purchase within 14 days.

0 Likes
slapapham2129
Enthusiast - Level 2

I didnt do it online. I went into a store. They did NOT give me 14 days to cancel either. He said I could return the phone (not cancel the plan) before 10 days without being charged a restocking fee. I have been with Verizon since 2002 - never late on a payment. I know how sales people work - I do purchasing for a living - however, to be deceptive? Really? It's not how they work. Or at least how they should work. And now, on top of everything if you want insurance its an additional $11 a month. They screw you coming and going.....

0 Likes