Why are these prices so high if I am eligible for my upgrade and my contract has ended?
hlabounty

Today was the last day of my contract, and I am now eligible after 2 years for an upgrade. I want to purchase a Samsung Galaxy S8, but it seems like I'm not getting an upgrade deal at all. I either have to make monthly payments on it, which oddly says it's $31.00 a month specifically for that device, and then in the checkout it says the monthly payment is $58.00 a month. So that's out. Then full retail for the phone will be $825.00 to buy it outright, which is extremely high and ridiculous. So, either I'm missing something, or Verizon doesn't want me to use MY upgrade. There has to be a mistake somewhere. These aren't deals at all.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why are these prices so high if I am eligible for my upgrade and my contract has ended?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your contract end date was today, I would wait until tomorrow to purchase a new device.  You are technically still under contract until midnight tonight.  This might also explain the pricing difference you are seeing.

The two year contract option was removed for customers in January 2017.  Only business and enterprise customers might still have that option. Everyone else had to purchase at full retail or Device Purchase Agreement (DPP).

The Samsung S8 and S8 plus are the following prices. S8 = $756.00 retail or $31.50 per month for 24 months.  S8 Plue = $840.00 retail or $35.00 per month for 24 months.  If you have an eligible trade-in, you might be able to reduce the DPP payment, but it requires you to still make those payments over 24 months.  If you pay off the phone early, you forfeit the discount.

Samsung S8 prices.PNG

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Why are these prices so high if I am eligible for my upgrade and my contract has ended?
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

The days of getting a phone for $100. are over I had the same shock last year when my contract was up. Long story short was I got the note7 but they were recalled twice .......never mind I said Short...The only saving I really got was they waived the activation fee and the upgrade fee. We got the S7 edge and it runs us like about $33. a month each just for the phone. Plus we have line access fees and taxes and what ever else they put on the bill. In short our bill went up about $35. from 2 yrs ago . That is with 4 new phones and our line access fee went from $40. a line to $20. line. This was back in September and at the time it was not a bad deal. Of course you can check around with the other competition but just make sure you READ the FINE print. That is what has gotten a lot of people on all of these forums from AT&T T-mobile   and such to complain about. Good Luck and hope you get the best deal out there. Let us know how you make out.

0 Likes