Why am I unable to use the Trade-In program?
_buckeyenut_
Contributor - Level 1

Customer Service Chat told me that if I moved two phones that have a lease agreement to different devices--which I did--that I would be able to sell the devices or use Verizon's Trade-In program... I just tried to use the Trade-In program, Verizon says no

I'll give more detail in moment...

[Subject line edited]

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Customer Service Chat told me that if I moved two phones that have a lease agreement to different devices--which I did--that I would be able to sell the devices or use Verizon's Trade-In program... I just tried to use the Trade-In program, Verizon say
deloused
Master - Level 3

The chat agent may have failed to read the trade in program details from the website where it explains a device would have to be paid off prior. Removing the devices from the account would still be a good first step for trade ins, or for a third party sale which would not require the balance be paid first, so that option could be done at anytime.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Customer Service Chat told me that if I moved two phones that have a lease agreement to different devices--which I did--that I would be able to sell the devices or use Verizon's Trade-In program... I just tried to use the Trade-In program, Verizon say
_buckeyenut_
Contributor - Level 1

Essentially, he told me that if I moved a Galaxy S6 edge line to an old tablet and an iPhone 5s to an S2 watch, I'd be able to sell the devices or trade them in using the Verizon program. He performed all of the number moves. The devices fell from my account (they're not being used) and the new ones added. So I tried to use the trade-in program. as he suggested, Verizon kicked it back and said nope because they're under an active lease agreement. Why would a Chat agent tell me to do this and then do it if it's not possible? Now, I essentially have two dead devices that I'm paying for--at least before they could be used as a phone. I'm not even sure what to say right now, I'm just speechless. I saved the entire transcript, I just feel sickened and a bit betrayed. Any advice?

0 Likes
_buckeyenut_
Contributor - Level 1

And just to clarify, I still knew that I would be on the hook for the monthly device lease agreement payments.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

The chat agent may have failed to read the trade in program details from the website where it explains a device would have to be paid off prior. Removing the devices from the account would still be a good first step for trade ins, or for a third party sale which would not require the balance be paid first, so that option could be done at anytime.

0 Likes
_buckeyenut_
Contributor - Level 1

Ah, okay. So the trade-in really isn't an option because the lease agreement associated with the device ID would need to be paid in full first--but selling them to a third party (which the chat rep suggested) shouldn't be an issue (because I'm still paying the lease agreement on the newly activated device)? I just want to be clear before I list these for sale that they are clear and would be able to be activated by a third party (while the lease agreement stays with me). At least that's how it was explained to me in the chat,

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Right, they wouldn't have any way to prevent you from selling to anyone else

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Verizon does not lease phones.  They sell phones on installment payments.

YOu can only have one agreement on a line.  If you cancel a line, the balance becomes due in full. 

I Suspect you may be billed for the balance on your next bill.

I Think you have become Dr Frankensteins next Guinea pig. 

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

AS much as I wild Ike to call foul on the truthfulness on this post, I will say this: if the devices are attempted to be added to other lines, error message do come up saying that they are tied to other lines. The OP will not be able to sell these devices.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

People buy and sell phones all the time which can be activated on other accounts or lines.  I have done both.

BUt he can't get money back from Verizon, for a phone he hasn't paid off yet.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

I Never said you couldn't. To me it seems like a made up post. Just odd.

0 Likes