Why am I being charged when the web is blocked?
mak321
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have blocked the Mobile Web and all download features on 3 of our 5 phones that are in use.  What I don't understand is why offer the blocking option if we are still being charged when the button is pushed on the phone?  Isn't that what that option means?  I blocked it therefore it shouldn't be able to be used?  Someone please help me understand why they offer the option if they're still going to charge just for pushing a button on the phone? 

Thanks for any answers anyone might have.  We have a family plan which includes the web, that's why the phones have this option.  It was the cheapest plan for all of us to have.  We need unlimited texting and 2 of our phones have to have this option.  They don't have a plan that is offered for individual phones to have the web in a family plan.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why am I being charged when the web is blocked?
mak321
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to let everyone know, I called Verizon Wireless again this morning.  We got the problem sort of resolved.  I did have everything blocked as it should be.  The woman I talked to today was much more helpful than the man yesterday.  She got her supervisor involved because she couldn't understand why I was charged either.  The reason?  There is none.  They took the charge off the invoice and told me if it happened again to call and let them know.  When they looked the mb charge up on their line, there was no time usage at all.  It should have never charged our account. 

If you have the web blocked you should not be charged for the mb.  I don't know who the man was I talked to yesterday but I certainly hope he doesn't answer if I ever have to call again.  He should have checked into the matter further.

For all of you out there, please make sure you check over your bills careully! 

View solution in original post

Winnins03
Enthusiast - Level 3
If you are on one of the Nationwide plans, you are not getting charged for simply pushing the web button.  Verizon had a big issue with people getting billed because of accidental button pushing, so they actually changed the way web access is billed for.  The only way you get charged for mobile web usage is if you actually navigate away from the home page that pops up when you hit the web button.  You may want to call into IT (via *611 or 1-800-922-0204), and see if they can determine what is causing you to be charged for MB usage.
0 Likes
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

The only way to completely block data usage from showing up on you phone bill (Megabyte usage) is to add what's called a  National Access block to your mobile numbers. Adding blocks for web access, app downloads, and other various thigns will block only those specifics. For example, blocking web access in most cases will simply block the browser but still allow a device to browse the Get it now/ Media center. These blocks are intended to block specifc actions such as stopping someone or yourself from downloading any applications, so in that scenario an app download block would be sufficient.

In short, if you want to entirely eliminate data usage from your phone bills, and have regular phones that don't require data (pda/blackberry) then you can add the National Access block, and that will eliminate data usage on your phone bills.

This will block downloads, web browsing, media center/get it now usage, vcast music, vcast video, as well as picture messaging/video messaging, and this is because if you block data, you are blocking pictures being sent and received because pictures are in fact data.

National Access Block and other feature blocks can be added, edited and removed via your My Verizon account.  There is a quick links area to the right of your overview labeled Add/Remove features.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-18-2009 01:11 PM
0 Likes
elusivecritter
Contributor - Level 1

If you still have applications on the phone that were downloaded before downloads were blocked then those applications can still access the network and result in megabyte charges. For example if you have VZW Tones Deluxe, Get It Now Search or V Cast Song ID on the phone and then blocked downloads these applications will still work as they were downloaded before the block.

Blocking National Access will block these features, but will also block Picture/Video messaging.

You can either remove these applications yourself or take the phone to a local Verizon Wireless corporate store and have them remove the applications from the phone.

0 Likes
mak321
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for all your advise but I did call them and the man looked up my account and everything.  He told me that the particular number that was charged "was" blocked but would be charge anyway when the button was just pushed.  I just want to know why?  I blocked it for a reason.  My 13 year old is using this particular phone and I don't want him having the internet. 

Why have the capabilites to block certain features when they are going to charge you for them even when you have them blocked?  I just don't understand that.

0 Likes
elusivecritter
Contributor - Level 1

Have you checked the phone itself to see if there are any applications already downloaded to it? If you're not sure how then take it to your nearest corporate store.

For example any of the ringtone applications can still access the Get It Now/Media Center even if everything (except National Access) is blocked.

One quick way to test if National Access is blocked is to send both a TXT and a PIX message. If both go though then National Access IS NOT blocked. If the TXT goes through but the PIX message does not then National Access IS blocked. If neither goes through then you have messaging blocked and this won't work (sorry).

ec

0 Likes
mak321
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to let everyone know, I called Verizon Wireless again this morning.  We got the problem sort of resolved.  I did have everything blocked as it should be.  The woman I talked to today was much more helpful than the man yesterday.  She got her supervisor involved because she couldn't understand why I was charged either.  The reason?  There is none.  They took the charge off the invoice and told me if it happened again to call and let them know.  When they looked the mb charge up on their line, there was no time usage at all.  It should have never charged our account. 

If you have the web blocked you should not be charged for the mb.  I don't know who the man was I talked to yesterday but I certainly hope he doesn't answer if I ever have to call again.  He should have checked into the matter further.

For all of you out there, please make sure you check over your bills careully! 

DCanuck

If you're blocking the internet or any data services because of the risk of mature content  you can use content filters for your phones. Go to My Services>Verizon Safguards>Parental Controls> Content  Filters.  The service is FREE and covers VCast music, videos, internet and text message short codes (like the one to vote on american idol). It doesn't cover games though.

They offer 3 tiers of filtering Child 7, Teen 13 and Young Adult 17 (and then there is off).  pick the right one for your kid and you're good to go.

0 Likes
Beechnutt
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue.  It indicates that "Mobile Blocking" is enabled, but data continues to be used.  So, will Verizon continue to remove data charges until this is fixed?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure that your account is properly set up, please reply to the private message to further assist you. 

PamD_VZW

0 Likes