Re: Why am I being charged data overages for NFL mobile? My bill is already up 150$!!!
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

SuzyQ wrote:

One full game ... at this point I don't have enough data for a full game unlesss it automatically detects it's "freebee"? Or does it get allocated later as freebee? I have safety mode enabled, so , if watching the one full game puts me over my plan, will safety mode kick in once I reach my limit? Then later it goes to freebee data but I'm already on safety mode slow data...maybe I'll wait till my new cycle starts when I have enough data to watch a full game .... The one game I did watch part of on cellular it seemed to count against my data and I saw no freebee data used. That concerns me....

Supposedly watching the game as long as you're on a 4G network it doesn't use data for the game. Data is used for the commercials that are shown during the game, thus they give you 1GB to cover that. I guess I'm going to lose that bonus data if it has to be a complete game on 4G.

0 Likes
Re: Why am I being charged data overages for NFL mobile? My bill is already up 150$!!!
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

lewisr13,

We would love to put your minds at ease. If you are watching games through the NFL Mobile Application on 4G you will not be charged any data. However, data will be used while watching the ads. To help offset this cost, we will issue you 1GB of bonus data each month. You must watch one full NFL game on 4G each month to qualify for the data promotion. Please be advised it will take 24-48 hours for the bonus data to be added.

RobinD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

What if I watch some of the game on my WIFI and the rest on 4G, will I still lose the bonus data?

0 Likes
willsonwats

So, if I'm using NFL mobile like everyone else and watching it while at work, I'm screwed......I have to take breaks while watching the game to txt, email, work, etc, so this is basically a scam to charge data overages. Who has time to sit and watch a 3 and a half hour football game on their phone? I, and I'm assuming 90% of the people using NFL mobile, turn it off and on throughout a game. Thanks Verizon.

0 Likes
Greenie69
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah what actually counts as a full game, if I drop down the video right at the beginning of the commercials and wait for the game to come back I am still watching the whole game, not closing the app at all. Otherwise the 1g extra won't cover the amount of commercials in a full game and that makes your "promotion" a scam to get overages. It cost me 1.49241g last Sunday at 12:54 pm to watch the games so obviously 1g extra is not going to cover.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

A full game, with commercials, uses 1.5 to 2.5 GB - how much of that is the actual game (freebee) and how much is commercials is hard to guage -  half the game is commercials.  Playtime is 60 minutes, and there is usually a commercial break whenever the clock stops.  A games takes 3 hours or so to complete - so I'd say half of the time in commercials is probably pretty accurate.

At that rate, every game is going to have almost a GB of commercials - our bonus will be gone in one or two games.  As Greenie69​ said, 1GB bonus is not going to cover much more than one game.

And I also agree with willsonwats​ - I don't ever (I think) have the game on for the full game, consistently.  I'll hop out to check an email, answer a call or text, then hop back to the game.  And I may only have time to watch a quarter, or part of a game.  What qualifies as a "full game" for the bonus data, useless as it may be?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is a very convoluted way to bill for data, when the NFL Mobile app is streaming the ads from the Verizon Media Services backend. I am going to bet the entire backend has been over-engineered as a result of this.

jenniferh_vzw
Verizon Employee

I really appreciate everyone’s feedback regarding this promotion. I’d like to clarify that Verizon provides 1 GB of bonus data to customers who have viewed any live video in the NFL Mobile app to compensate gigabytes used for advertising viewed during the NFL games. This bonus data is available for customers that are on the MORE Everything and the Verizon Plans and is limited to 1 GB per line per billing cycle. For customers on an older plan, a bill credit to cover 1GB of overage will be applied after the bill cycle ends.  Video streaming includes Live games, Video on Demand (VOD) and NFL Mobile Red Zone and is only while connected to Verizon Wireless LTE.

Thank you

JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks for the feedback, Jennifer - and I'm still a bit confused.  You said "I’d like to clarify that Verizon provides 1 GB of bonus data to customers who have viewed any live video in the NFL Mobile app to compensate gigabytes used for advertising viewed during the NFL games."  OK--sounds easy.

Earlier in this thread, RobinD_VZW said "We will issue you 1GB of bonus data each month. You must watch one full NFL game on 4G each month to qualify for the data promotion. Please be advised it will take 24-48 hours for the bonus data to be added."

I suppose I can watch part of a game on 4G Thursday night and see:

1. If it is indeed counted as freebee data (it wasn't the last time I used 4G to watch part of a game about a month ago)
  2. If the bonus GB shows up in my account over the weekend, allowing for the 24-48 hours listed above.

Then I can report back here and let you know what did or did not happen.  The most it will cost me is about .5 GB by watching a quarter or so of the game ... and I think I've got enough to cover the rest of my billing cycle to give this a try.

And I agree with smith6612​ - it seems quite convoluted ...

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

SuzyQ,

The first time I started watching an NFL game this year, I logged in to watch and I received a text that said to send that text to 2635 and right after I did that I got the GB added to my account. It was added as bonus data, not freebie, which means I'm using that before my plan data. I am still in the same billing period, my new one starts next Wednesday so I'll see what happens when I view Thursday's game. If I can remember.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've watched on 4G, but primarily on wifi - have not received a text, or any bonus data, and it didn't use freebee data either (I think I posted a screenshot on another thread about this).  Maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall the app?  It's the latest version, I believe - 13.1.19.  Whatever, I'll see what happens tomorrow night.

0 Likes