Why I am leaving Verizon
AdamMR

After about a decade with Verizon, I have decided to pull my number, and go to another provider. I have had unlimited data for about 5 years, and after Verizon decided to drop that plan, I did not upgrade my device. I bought used phones off eBay, and after having these phones fail early, have issues nonstop, I decided to buy a brand new phone for nearly $700 earlier this year. And now Verizon is telling me I will be billed an extra $20 a month in order to keep my unlimited data. I have dealt with them constantly sending me emails, regular mail, and phone calls trying to get me to change my contract for years now. I have dealt with them constantly dropping my company discount stating I need to "prove I work there" every year. And now, this is the last straw. I do not use all to much data, approx. 5GB a month, so I could go with a lesser plan, however, because of their attempt to force people out of a plan they do not like, even if these people kept their end of the deal of not upgrading or changing accounts, I have decided I will gladly give my money and service to one of their many competitors. So congrats Verizon, you just lost some business, and from the looks of it, you are losing quite a bit because of this choice your board made. Good day.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why I am leaving Verizon
Tidbits
Legend

All other carriers did the same. Sprint just upped their unlimited data plan. T-Mobile did last year. I suspect AT&T will do it soon as well. I wish you the best of luck on your new carrier.

Snn5
Legend

And notice, you are out of contract.  So, everyone's end of the deal was upheld.  And still, you admit to another plan being cheaper, but some principle you are holding onto is standing in your way of saving money.  Now you get to buy another new phone and pay about the same for less.  Lateral moves aren't always the same. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

AdamMR, I'm saddened to hear that you're considering leaving! We value your loyalty, and we don't want to allow this to come between us. I know that it is a bit frustrating to learn of these changes, especially since you've already invested so much into your device. We want to keep you right here, and find a way for you to stay at Verizon. We definitely have plans that would be a great deal for you, and allow you to have enough data for your usage, without breaking the bank.  May I ask what we could do to earn back your loyalty so you can continue to remain a Verizon customer for years to come?

MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Paying more for data you never used, forgoing new phones all for the principle?   Doing things in principle leads to illogical and costly decisions. You knew this was possible at any time. 

I had unlimited, when it no longer made financial sense for me, I got rid of it. 

mama23dogs
Legend

SO you kept unlimited data on principal, now your leaving over $20 increase, on principle.

ANd is your choice of new carrier going to cost you more, or less than you pay Verizon now?

Gas has gone up, food has gone up, electricity, oil, clothing and the cost of cell phones, all have gone up every year.

SO once in 5 years you Cellular provider wants $20 more for you to keep your unlimited data plan? 

Most at would call it a bargain.  T mobile was asking $80 per line for unlimited data plan, which did not include a phone.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

Keep in mind, in the last year, the price of gas has declined. Here it's 2.25 a gallon.

Tidbits
Legend

It's still considerably more than what it was 10 years ago. more so 20 years ago. I believe when I first started driving gas was barely under $1 a gallon. I think the point he was trying to convey is that prices do and will go up over time 🙂

Oh I'd be happy to pay $2.25 for gas lol

mama23dogs
Legend

Hey, the high price of beef and lettuce has been all because of the cost of getting it to market was high.  So gas is not $5 a gallon anymore, or even $4.  So why hasn't beef and lettuce come down again?

THe point is - the unlimited data plan is significantly under-priced for what if offers.   Verizon had every right to raise the price on the plan As soon as a customers 2 year contract was over.  They should have raised the price $5 a year from the start.  And as long as a customer is paying full price for a phone, who cares how?  They device payment plan is a reasonable compromise and a way to keep happy customers.  It should have been offered 2 years ago.

Sephiroth
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's funny. One of Verizon's motto's or whatever is that you shouldn't have to pay for data you aren't using. I think it's time to take out that pen and paper and see what options you've got available. If I were you, I'd check on what current plans are and compare your options as well your needs. Never hurts to be an educated customer no matter what you do.