Re: Why Does Verizon Lie
boringusername
Master - Level 1

sprmankalel wrote:

You have to sacrifice something. You want access to the faster speeds, you have to pay a premium for it. Wasn't it YOUR post that explained about network limitations? If you want to pay a lower price you get a lower service. If you want to have access to a ridiculous amount of data then you pay a ridiculous premium for it.

The reason the high plans were so expensive was to discourage that amount of usage to keep the resources available for everyone. If you wanted to pay $360 for 100GB then you had the choice but I am sure that people chose lower limits and stayed within the limits.

yes but now that Verizon offers unlimited you can 4 liens heck even 1 lien that can easily exceed 100 GB. So charging $360 for 100 GB is no longer being used to discourage use when those 4 lines can be on unlimited and use 100 GB EACH. YOU said you'd like tired plans back. I'm telling you no one is going to switch back to tiered plans if they were offered again when they are massively more expensive. If it's your ideal situation to have tiered plans back and more people switching back to them then you have to give people a REASON to do so.

We have go unlimited. Most month the 24 GB plan would suffice however even with a 23% discount is more expensive than unlimited. Heck most months 16 GB would work and w would save but it's only 11 dollars. $11 is not worth having to babysit data usage and potentially have to put up with 128 kbps safety zone. Bump the 8 GB plan to 20 GB and have safety mode at at least 400 kbps and we'd switch back today. No reason why Verizon couldn't offer the 100 GB for $180( half of $360 )

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

They are not lying. The terms are laid out clearly. Also no where does it say you get unlimited SPEED.

Go unlimited- can be deprioritized at ANY time there is congestion

Beyond unlimited - can be deprioritized at ANY time there is congestion AFTER 22 GB

Go unlimited hotspot/tethering 600 kbps MAX speed

Beyond unlimited hotspot/tethering 600 kbps MAX speed AFTER 15 GB

Very succinctly stated. Bravo. Except...

There are some problems with this. For one, it is not possible to know a priori how congested the towers a person may wish or need to use actually are. Also, the concept of "congested" is really poorly defined and is dynamic. This cannot be known by the average person, only those involved in data shaping / bandwidth management. This also means, the average person does not know the specifics of de-prioritization. This is also poorly defined and can be dynamic.

Some people are opting for "Go unlimited", and the end result - this effectively means, in the areas they expect service, they'll only experience de-prioritization at practically all hours (or at least the hours they are most likely wanting to use data) because of factors completely beyond their control. And while they may have expectations w.r.t. data speed, and while the carrier suggests speeds will be sufficient to stream, they are often lucky to be able to open a web-page.

Is this really a viable / valuable plan offering?

Lastly, putting speed expectations aside, and only speaking about the amount of data that can be exchanged on Go unlimited, i.e. the amount / limit part of the proposal, if you are being constantly de-prioritized and having effective speeds much less than dial-up at all the times you'd want to use data, well, realistically, how much data are you going to be able to effectively exchange in one month? 1GB, 2GB, 5GB, 10, 20, 50?

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

stef7 wrote:

They are not lying. The terms are laid out clearly. Also no where does it say you get unlimited SPEED.

Go unlimited- can be deprioritized at ANY time there is congestion

Beyond unlimited - can be deprioritized at ANY time there is congestion AFTER 22 GB

Go unlimited hotspot/tethering 600 kbps MAX speed

Beyond unlimited hotspot/tethering 600 kbps MAX speed AFTER 15 GB

Very succinctly stated. Bravo. Except...

There are some problems with this. For one, it is not possible to know a priori how congested the towers a person may wish or need to use actually are. Also, the concept of "congested" is really poorly defined and is dynamic. This cannot be known by the average person, only those involved in data shaping / bandwidth management. This also means, the average person does not know the specifics of de-prioritization. This is also poorly defined and can be dynamic.

Some people are opting for "Go unlimited", and the end result - this effectively means, in the areas they expect service, they'll only experience de-prioritization at practically all hours (or at least the hours they are most likely wanting to use data) because of factors completely beyond their control. And while they may have expectations w.r.t. data speed, and while the carrier suggests speeds will be sufficient to stream, they are often lucky to be able to open a web-page.

Is this really a viable / valuable plan offering?

Lastly, putting speed expectations aside, and only speaking about the amount of data that can be exchanged on Go unlimited, i.e. the amount / limit part of the proposal, if you are being constantly de-prioritized and having effective speeds much less than dial-up at all the times you'd want to use data, well, realistically, how much data are you going to be able to effectively exchange in one month? 1GB, 2GB, 5GB, 10, 20, 50?

If a person gets Go unlimited and they are constantly be deprioritized then they can simply upgrade to beyond. or they can choose from the 3 other national carries or several MVNOs that exist. ALL carrier have deprioritzation by the way. No carrier can offer unfettered unlimited data.

even at 1 Mbps one could theoretically use 325 GB a month. Also no one is going have 24/7 congestion.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Here's the problem. Customers think that they can set the price for service. You say, lower the price and I will get it. I say, if it was worth it to you to not be de-prioritized, you would pay it. Do you go to the grocery store and say 'I don't want to pay $5 for this gallon of mile but I will buy it if you make the price $3'? Sounds absurd, right? That is essentially what you are saying. If you think that $350 is too much to pay to have access to 100GB of data then don't use 100GB of data.

Yes, you could essentially use that much on an unlimited plan but I doubt that would happen with de-prioritization and being slowed down.

Remember, having a cell phone is a privilege. Carrier's are able to charge whatever they deem necessary for their services and you have the right to not pay for it. If you do pay for it you must chose the plan that is right for you and your wallet. If Verizon doesn't have a plan that fits your needs, MetroPCS and others have cheaper unlimited plans.

It gets tedious explaining this over and over and over again. Mostly because people come here are start complaining because they ASSUMED what their plan was going to offer and didn't read it before signing up for it then find out that they were mistaken. This leads them to accuse Verizon of lying to or misleading them when, in actuality, all plan details are disclosed on the forst page before even selecting the option to sign up for it.

stef7
Master - Level 2

You wrote:

If a person gets Go unlimited and they are constantly be deprioritized then they can simply upgrade to beyond. or they can choose from the 3 other national carries or several MVNOs that exist. ALL carrier have deprioritzation by the way. No carrier can offer unfettered unlimited data.

even at 1 Mbps one could theoretically use 325 GB a month. Also no one is going have 24/7 congestion.

It would be better if they switched to a LIMITED plan.

And no, they aren't getting 1Mbps. That would be quite decent for loading web-pages. No, they are often experiencing far far FAR slower speeds.

In the description of the plan, they indicate video typically streams at 480p. That is a poorly written spec - what does "typically" mean in that context? Regardless, I don't think 1Mbps is quite sufficient for 480p without buffering / interruption.

FWIW, if I've got the math correct,1.5Mbps (I think a better speed requirement estimate) translates to about 1GB of data transferred for a 2hour show at 480p. Other figures one might find for 480p suggests the speed be between 2 and 3Mbps for proper viewing.

0 Likes