Why Do Verizon Store Personnel ask for phone no., last 4 of SS and password?
cindyholly

On Friday  Dec. 20, 2013, I went in to a Verizon Premium Retailer in Glendale, CA to explore a smart phone that would do well for an active person.  A sturdy phone.  I was asked for my phone no., social security last 4 digits and  the password for my account.  All this in a store full of people close by to hear.   I think the sales routine for store personnel should be first to explore what the customer wants and collect info privately.  She refused to help me unless I called Verizon for my password.  The password could be something a customer enters on a keypad so its kept confidential.   My visit to this store resulted in my walking out because the other person working there told me I could not speak with them as I was speaking.  I just wanted to explore possibilities of a phone and service.  I was told I wasn't behaving right for her.  I was shocked at this rude come back to me when the other girl was entering in my drivers license info from my ID.  I asked for my ID back upon being spoken to this way.  The girl delayed in giving it to me. I then left, saying nothing except have a nice day.  She then yelled at me Merry Christmas and I said the same (not yelling) back to her as I exited.  It was a very strange customer service experience at this store.  This staff is not trained to be customer friendly and find solutions to customers who come in to spend money in their store.  I'm sure I'm not the only person who would question giving up all this personal data.  Why so much ?

I can only think that she didn't like my frustration with the several steps to get into my account and didn't want to move on to show me a brochure or a sheet of paper with the basics.  She was not going to help me with any information on Verizon Wireless services unless I gave up all this personal information so everyone could hear it.  Wrong.  She had no business telling me about my behavior.  I was just asking for information on available phones and plans.  It was an awful experience to be spoken to that way by this person.  I'm further concerned by the fact that my driver's license info has now likely been compromised. 

Is it my appearance she didn't like?  Her customer service to me was going to be her way or no way. 

I want the manager to know about this and I want an apology.  I still do not have my questions answered about a new phone and service.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why Do Verizon Store Personnel ask for phone no., last 4 of SS and password?
Tidbits
Legend

Its a 3rd party retailer. You need to go back into the store and talk to the manager there. If it was a corporate Verizon store then it would be handled by Verizon themselves.

0 Likes
Re: Why Do Verizon Store Personnel ask for phone no., last 4 of SS and password?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cindyholly,

We appreciate your feedback. I understand you want to keep your account information secure and we definitely want that as well; we make every effort to do this. You are asked to verify this information to ensure you are the account holder or the authorized member on the account. This is done to prevent unauthorized changes to your account and to ensure you are eligible for the new smartphone you have been thinking about. I can assure none of the information provided has been compromised.

However, this does not mean you should have had a bad experience, we truly apologize for that. We strive to provide you only with the best customer service and I regret to see this was not the case. We can definitely submit this feedback to ensure it’s addressed. What store was this at?

Lastly, I want to make sure all your questions are answered. Here are our new plans http://vz.to/1hX6IBf and our top of the line new phones http://vz.to/19dnbMP . Please let us know what questions you have.  

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
aufan306

OK, I did not have the bad customer experience part.  However I am dumbfounded that with the number of breeches of customer accounts held by various large companies, that I am asked for my password in the Verizon store.  It appears unethical to me.  Many people use the same password for multiple services and accounts.  It only takes one employee to get our personal account info out the system or take this info and hack other things.  Bad form.

I think if this is required, then hand me the tablet or use a custom app that I install on my phone to verify the account and not have to tell the employee whom I do not know my personal account info.

At least using the telephone system, I verify who I am to the computer and the the CS rep on the other end!!!

0 Likes