Re: When will Verizon activate RCS services?
Tidbits
Legend

Aemarzan wrote:

I think we are confusing the question. Yes they sent out the update to activate the S7 and S7 edge and will be updating other Android phone via software update.

What I am saying is that all the phones in terms of hardware are already capable of RCS. A simple update and voilà you have RCS! It’s that simple.

So im confused? What is your argument/point? You don’t believe that Verizon should implement RCS? You think messaging should continue to be sent on restricted poor quality celular network exchange? You don’t want Verizon to utilize the data exchange for our messaging like iMessage which we are paying for anyway?

Any thoughts on my other point?

• Carriers purposely not allowing SMS & MMS to utilize data with messages to boost iPhone sales?

Carriers make no money off devices so selling one device over another is laughable...  Seriously carriers testified this on court and OEMs confirmed this in the same court case.  Carriers actually would rather not sell devices for a long time now, but they only do it because people expect them to and can't grasp paying the real cost of devices.

RCS is late to the party there is NO carrier interloping at this moment.  Not even between Sprint, T-Mobile, or any international carrier.  Why invest in something at the moment when 99% of the customer base doesn't care about it.

RCS is more than updating a device with a simple update.  RCS is more than just sending SMS/MMS over data.  MMS and group messages already go over carrier data channels.  T-Mobile had to do a lot of backend stuff just to enabled it.  Sprint did the same, and they are sorely lacking in other areas besides coverage.  3/4 of their network can't even do VoLTE(which breaks RCS).

So at this moment people shouldn't even sweat it.  $$$ talks and right now your money is saying I like the way things are now because you are still here paying the bill.

0 Likes
Aemarzan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Lol. Sounds like you work for Verizon. Did my post stir the pot a little and hit a nerve?

With all that you said my question to you is do feel that messaging on Android devices using celular is the same quality as messaging on iPhone Devices that use data for messaging?

I never said the carriers make money off of the device sale themselves but I’m sure they're some form of kick back or incentive from Apple for every iPhone/iPad sold.  

Do you think receiving messages broken up and out of order, poor pixelated videos, pixelated pics that when taken were high defenition quality but compressed to death when sent is acceptabl in this day and age of tech?

Since you seem to have the whole RCS understanding down packed then answer me this. If we are already paying for a data plan why can’t carriers figure out a way for customers to utilize it for messaging? Apple figured It out. Why can’t they? I’ll wait..... 

You're saying  people shouldn’t sweat sub standard messaging service and quality? Especially from the leading carrier in the industry?

My money isn’t saying that at all. Tell me. What other option do I have? Go to another carrier? It would be the same thing hence my theory of why it’s not in place already.

I did say Verizon is the best out of the 4 carriers. However that doesn't mean that Verizon is giving their customers what we deserve.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Care to wager I have never worked for Verizon nor have I have any vested interest in the company. The company I work for supplies my service with Verizon. For my personal line I amon T-Mobile.

I spoke with my money a long time ago. I don't care who does it first... being a leader in a saturated market means little sorry to say. Marketing loves people like you, because it works.  Always got to have the latest and greatest even if it is half baked right now.

0 Likes
Aemarzan
Enthusiast - Level 3

I beg to differ my friend. Messaging utilizing data has been out and in use for 7 1/2 yrs now with Apple. So it has nothing to do with latest and greatest. More like these being late and not great. That’s my point. I don’t care if it’s RCS, Chat or whatever they care to name it. I’m saying when are carriers going to catch up and make it happen?

Also you never replied to my questions? I’d love to hear your thoughts on them.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

RCS is completely different than iMessages. They are not one in the same. By that token then we've been using RCS for years if you think they are the same... AIM, Skype, Google Talk, and do I need to go on as to say it's the same? They are similar, but does things differently. Also SMS/MMS does go over data if you chose it to do so. It has been for a while now which carriers have been using called IMS. So you already have the option to use them.

It's not about catch up...  It's about demand and there isn't a lot of it. Just because a bunch of people asking for it doesn't mean everyone wants it or care.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yes RCS is 1/2 baked right now. There is no interloping between carriers. So no 100 people chats across carriers whether domestic or foreign. No up to 2GB file transfers between carriers. Now video chat cross carriers. The whole point of RCS is supposed to be just like SMS but better. At the moment it is no where near better. On paper it is but at current times it is far from it.

0 Likes
Aemarzan
Enthusiast - Level 3

‍♂️  Lol. When did I ever say they were the same? I’m not talking about features. I’m talking about quality of messaging. All those apps you mentioned have one thing in common. They all use data for exchange. But! it only works end to end meaning if the other person doesn’t have the same app it doesn’t work! Same as whatsapp, Kik. All use data but both parties have to use the same app either platform Android or iOS . So why can’t all carriers make a uniformed messaging app that functions like those apps mentioned and call it a day?

SMS/MMS does go over data??? It does? Oh man by all means please explain this to me and show me how to enable IMS on my Note 9 on Verizon. Help me out. I’d love to send and receive sms/mms messages without the horrific compression, size restrictions/caps. Please. By all means do tell. That’s what my whole argument and complaint has been about and here you had the answer all along. Why didn’t you just say so in the beginning! So tell me. How do I activate or use this IMS option? I’m dead serious.

I disagree. Way more than a bunch want it. The issue is not many either know that there is better or they just plain simple have no choice and arent vocal about it.

If you don’t mind me asking what phone do you use? 

0 Likes
Aemarzan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Exactly. That’s my whole point. Why is this taking so long and so hard of a concept to achieve for these carriers. Apple isnt even in the cellular service provider business and they figured out how to this. Why can’t the players who are in the game figure it out?

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Aemarzan wrote:

Exactly. That’s my whole point. Why is this taking so long and so hard of a concept to achieve for these carriers. Apple isnt even in the cellular service provider business and they figured out how to this. Why can’t the players who are in the game figure it out?

You rally are being rude. Verizon will have it when it does IF it does and if it's that important then find another carrier. Quit accusing others that don't agree with you of working for Verizon. Maybe YOU work for T-Mobile? See how stupid that sounds? What is it about you that others HAVE to agree with you? Why in American are others not allowed to have a difference of opinion? I'm curious.

0 Likes
Aemarzan
Enthusiast - Level 3

I’m not being rude at all. If my sarcasm bothers you then by all means stop reading. It wasn’t even sent to you! I love the fact that people have different opinions and engage in debate. Thats how people learn, see different perspectives.

Now who‘s the one being rude with your ”Why in America“ stereo typical comment? Really? What country do you live in or are from that makes you better? Find another carrier simply because Im voicing my opinion on one aspect of Verizons service? Really? If you actually follow the thred you’d see that I actually like Verizon.

What contribution have you even made to this thread besides your, if you don’t like it then leave attitude? At least Tidbits brought some technical  insight, explanation and examples to the table (Thank you Tidbits). You my friend are too sensitive.

Have a blessed day buddy.

0 Likes