When I block a number, and they attempt to contact me, what happens on their end?
misslindsayv

I've just made my first venture into blocking phone numbers, and I was curious to know what they receive when they either try to call or message me.  Do they receive a notification that their number is blocked?  Or do things appear normal on their end?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: When I block a number, and they attempt to contact me, what happens on their end?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have heard different things, and it may have to do with the blocked number's carrier or service provider.  Some say they get a message that the number has been blocked, some say it appears to go through with no notifications....I haven't heard a consistent answer!

0 Likes
Re: When I block a number, and they attempt to contact me, what happens on their end?
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

SuzyQ wrote:

....I haven't heard a consistent answer!

Huh. I don't know people weren't getting a consistent answer about that. This..makes me....ANGRY!!! :smileyvery-happy:

I'll dig around some stuff tomorrow and see if I can find an official answer.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks, chile.  Like I said earler, it may be a difference in the way other carriers handle the blocked message - I guess we need more data!  Thankfully, I haven't had to block anyone, so haven't really been concerned about what the blocked party sees when they try to send me a message....no personal experience to go by!!  But  I have heard differing answers, so I'd be interested in knowing what you find out.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

So the official answer from VZW about what the person hears when calling a number that has blocked them is this: Welcome to Verizon Wireless. The number you are trying to reach has calling restrictions which has prevented the completion of your call.

It should be the same no matter what carrier the person is on that you're blocking. As far as messages I know that the sender thinks that the message goes through, but it never terminates on the receiving device. So it's transparent to both people.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK--so CALLING, they get a verbal message informing them the # has been blocked, and TEXTING, "nothing" happens....message is sent, but never received, and the text recipient is not aware that anything was attempted.  Have I got that right?  Thanks for the information!

0 Likes
text2much
Enthusiast - Level 1

My husband and son has this feature on their phone. It is kind of funny because we blocked Wachovia from call them every hour on the hour. So they call me up and tell me "We need to get a hold of your husband or son because their phones has been shut off" so this is must what they get when they attempt to call my husband or son with their phone numbers being blocked. I had to block them as well cause they were pestering the hell out of me as well. Now it is Wachovia free if they try to call. They cant get through because it is block hahaha!