What really works in resolving USPS loss of your device?
katjenningsnyc

We all know the problem of USPS losing devices sent via Verizon's prepaid shipping labels is rampant. There are dozens on comments on threads in this forum regarding the issue. However it seems like there are ways to twit Verizon's arm into cancelling the fee for devices sent vis USPS that never turn up at the VZN processing center.

My story is just like everyone else. My defective phone needed to be replaced, they sent the replacement, I packed up the defective phone in the designated box and affixed the Verizon provided USPS label to the box. I work in lower Manhattan and believe it or not our local post office has only just recently regained full functionality post Hurricane Sandy so like most people here I avoid those locations as much as possible. Instead the package was taken to the main post office in Manhattan. I didn't even know getting a ticket of receipt from USPS was an option, the counter clerks never offered that information, if only I'd known! Though with a tracking number you assume there won't be an issue. Of course, I was naive and wrong! Three weeks later I personally called Verizon to make sure they'd gotten the phone when I got a text reminding me to send the device. There was no information but the rep assured me that sometimes it takes time to show up in the system. I then started getting messages more frequently and turned to my tracking number and USPS. Not surprisingly there was nothing USPS could do. The branch manager at my local USPS confirmed that it's extremely common for USPS to NOT scan tracking bar codes and subsequently lose a package. I followed their procedure and filed a missing parcel report. I have followed up with USPS on this and they told me it could take as long as a year to recover my package. My father who "owns" our family plan went to his local store in NC and spoke with managers there they were entirely unhelpful. I spent five (yes, 5) hours on the phone with Verizon customer service and the best the could offer me was a mailing address to send a written complaint to. The snarky Customer Service rep also volunteered that he was fine with it if I wanted to yell and scream and curse at him, that he loved it with customers "(removed) him out". Seriously? That's what you call customer service Verizon. You provided me a mailing service for your device. The mailing service lost my item as it has for countless other customers thus you are charging me $500. Clearly if I'm willing to spend this much time on the issue I'm not a thief and I'm insulted to be treated as such by a company I have been a customer of for well over a decade. I refuse to pay this fee when I have been a loyal customer and never missed a payment. This is the first time I've ever had to use the warranty option. Clearly the flaw is Verizon's system NOT the consumer!

So here is what I HAVE done:

1. Filed a complain with The Better Business Bureau.

2. Prepared a letter to send to their mail in CS center

3. I will attempt to e-mail Nancy B. Clark (Sr. Vice Pres of Operation Excellence) and Lowell C. McAdam (CEO) per "hints" I found on an Android service forum.

4. I'm debating contacting Gawker media. The issue is well documented in customer forums so why haven't we as consumers banded together to expose Verizon's lack of customer care?

What have YOU done to remedy this situation and get the erroneous charge removed from your bill for good?

Edited as required by the

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
Re: What really works in resolving USPS loss of your device?
JewelR
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm going through the same issue right now. What was your outcome?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

It's not that USPS is losing the package, it's that the warehouse has millions of phones coming through and each package might get scanned as "received" in bulk, but isn't actually through the system in a final status until hands are actually put on the unit and it is placed into inventory.

JewelR
Enthusiast - Level 2

My package was somehow never scanned according to the tracking information.

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

How long has it been since you've mailed your device?

0 Likes
JewelR
Enthusiast - Level 2

End of January

0 Likes
dav72

If you have experienced a loss of your device through USPS (United States Postal Service), there are several steps you can take to try and resolve the issue. Here's what you can do:

1. Contact USPS: Start by reaching out to USPS customer service. You can contact them through their website, by phone, or by visiting your local post office. Provide them with the tracking number of your package and explain the situation. They may be able to provide you with more information about the location of your device or initiate an investigation.

2. File a claim: If your device is insured or if you purchased additional insurance, you can file a claim with USPS. Visit their website or go to your local post office to initiate the claims process. You will need to provide details about the device, its value, and any supporting documentation such as receipts or invoices. The claims process can take some time, but it is an important step to potentially recover the value of your device.

3. Notify the sender/retailer: If you purchased the device from a retailer or if it was sent to you by someone else, inform them about the situation. Provide them with the relevant details, such as the  usps tracking number and any communication you've had with USPS. They may be able to assist you with the process and help resolve the issue.

4. Consider other options: If USPS is unable to locate your device or resolve the situation satisfactorily, you may need to explore other options. This could include contacting your local law enforcement to report the loss or theft, reaching out to your insurance provider if you have device insurance, or contacting the sender or retailer for potential compensation or replacement options.

5. Be persistent: Dealing with lost packages can be frustrating, but it's important to stay persistent. Follow up regularly with USPS regarding your case and any ongoing investigations. Keep records of all communication and document any relevant information or updates. Persistence and thorough documentation can help expedite the resolution process.

Thanks 

0 Likes