Re: What is a smart line access fee and why do I have to pay it?!
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ahunter87 wrote:

@rcschnoor wrote:

So how much is your bill? Which unlimited plan do you have? A single line with the current selection of unlimited data plans would run:

GoUnlimited = $75 + taxes/fees

BeyondUnlilmited = $85 + taxes/fees

AboveUnlimited = $95 + taxes/fees.

Any purchase of a smartphone made with monthly payments would be in addition to the above.

What is your total monthly bill? Since you don't provide much information, any replies you receive will undoubtedly include assumptions. If you don't want people to "assume" you should provide more information.

In the past, Verizon has broke down its charges into different parts, but the "total" still adds up to what they advertise as the cost for a line of service. Of course, if you are on an older plan and are wondering why you are not paying the current rates, you must first move to one of the newer plans in order to be paying those rates.

Furthermore, if you were on a service contract when you switched to an unlimited plan, you will continue to pay that smartphone line access fee until you complete your service contract. The line access fee, in this case, is associated with the service contract and would remain even if you switched plans and stay in effect until you complete the service contract.

Yes Thank you for letting me know more info was needed. I’ll gladly fill in the missing info. 

I appreciate your time. 

My bill is about $107 each month. I signed up for the $65 single line(More of everything?/ can't remember the name)  unlimited plan on 10-13-18. Insurance is $15, taxes $7 and a $20 smartphone line access fee.

I can even provide copies of the agreement, all other fees are mention except “Smartphone line Access”

Yes a reasonable amount of assumption is fine but the topic and discussion of what I should have done at the time of purchase was unnecessary.

The More Everything Plan wasn't available to new customers in October 2018. Only customers who had that plan from earlier and hadn't switched away from it could continue to keep it. The More Everything Plan had been retired by 2018. You either have the New Verizon Unlimited Plan or the Beyond Unlimited Plan. Please check your account or bill to verify the exact name of the plan. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

mama23dogs
Legend

Lol. Georgina needs to go back to Verizon school.    Her answer is wrong.  The data may not be shared, but the plan is still a ‘shared’ plan   And is prices ala carte   

“Yup been using post paid phones for 20 years, been with most of the major carriers. Yup ALL of this is FALSE. Not sure where your getting this dated info. So XFINITY T-MOBILE both do not charge a additional fee. Sprint will remove the fee if you own or pay off a phone. According to the FCC it’s up to the company to charge or not to charge this fee. Here’s article on it Dated April 26,2019:”     

Go back and read what I wrote, “EVERY carrier and EVERY plan charges for each device connected to their network.”   And you had just cited examples that prove me right   Both xfinity and t-mo charge for every device connected to its network.  So does prepaid - every prepaid device pays a fee to connect to the network.  Just because At&t and Verizon price postpaid  ala’carte does not change that fact.   And it also doesn’t change the price quoted being the price you got.  

Beyond unlimited single line price as quoted by Verizon is $85, $65 + $20 = $85   

0 Likes
ahunter87
Enthusiast - Level 1

@mama23dogs wrote:

Lol. Georgina needs to go back to Verizon school.    Her answer is wrong.  The data may not be shared, but the plan is still a ‘shared’ plan   And is prices ala carte   

“Yup been using post paid phones for 20 years, been with most of the major carriers. Yup ALL of this is FALSE. Not sure where your getting this dated info. So XFINITY T-MOBILE both do not charge a additional fee. Sprint will remove the fee if you own or pay off a phone. According to the FCC it’s up to the company to charge or not to charge this fee. Here’s article on it Dated April 26,2019:”     

Go back and read what I wrote, “EVERY carrier and EVERY plan charges for each device connected to their network.”   And you had just cited examples that prove me right   Both xfinity and t-mo charge for every device connected to its network.  So does prepaid - every prepaid device pays a fee to connect to the network.  Just because At&t and Verizon price postpaid  ala’carte does not change that fact.   And it also doesn’t change the price quoted being the price you got.  

Who are you to laugh at someone and say go back to school?! I would take her word any day over yours. She actually works for the company, instead of just a fan. The snarky/snide remarks are unnecessary.

You obviously need some reading lessons yourself I said and I quote ”xfinity and t-mobile do not charge an additional fee” the article clearly states, “Xfinity Mobile lets you add up to five lines to your mobile plan with no monthly access charge”

I asked about a single line contract plan,

Not pre-paid, not Multi-Line those are irrelevant

I’m not sure it your actually thinking about this or regurgitating stuff.

You purchase a plan to use and to use that plan you have to pay again to connect. Why would you purchase a plan with out the intention on connecting to it?

Why wouldn’t that already be an associate cost in the purchased plan?

It comes off as they advertise a low price to get you in, also to compete, then hit you with fees

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@ahunter87 wrote:

@mama23dogs wrote:

Who are you to laugh at someone and say go back to school?! I would take her word any day over yours. She actually works for the company, instead of just a fan. The snarky/snide remarks are unnecessary.

Fine. Don’t believe me.  Call again.  Read the other posts that all agree with me and that she is wrong.  

You obviously need some reading lessons yourself I said and I quote ”xfinity and t-mobile do not charge an additional fee” the article clearly states, “Xfinity Mobile lets you add up to five lines to your mobile plan with no monthly access charge”

But that isn’t what I asked, and you didn’t disprove what I wrote at all.  All carriers charge for every connected device.  

I asked about a single line contract plan,   Not pre-paid, not Multi-Line those are irrelevant   

Not irrelevant.  Carriers have different wording, it’s still the same.  You have a NO contract POSTPAID plan for a single line.  Verizon (and other carriers) are NO contract.   Both prepaid and postpaid offer multi line options and no matter what plan or what carrier all connected devices pay to connect.  

I’m not sure it your actually thinking about this or regurgitating stuff.

You purchase a plan to use and to use that plan you have to pay again to connect. Why would you purchase a plan with out the intention on connecting to it?

Why wouldn’t that already be an associate cost in the purchased plan?

Because that’s how the carrier does it.  Postpaid plans from At&t and Verizon are priced alacarteon your bill.  Since the advertised price equals what you are billed, why are you questioning the price you agreed to pay?

It comes off as they advertise a low price to get you in, also to compete, then hit you with fees

The “fees” are the $7 in taxes.  

The price for your selection (single line unlimited) is advertised as $85, which is what you expected to pay, and that’s what you’re  paying.  How can you dispute the $85 plan price?

XxGoodyxX
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also need some clarification.

I purchased a plan (4GB of data for $40) and was led to believe that I would pay the cost of my plan (shared between two devices) and my phones (buy one, get one free).  I wasn't informed about a line-access fee ($20 per phone number), but I soon realized it and dealt with it.

I think that what ahunter is stating is accurate: if you are told that a plan costs A...and later discover that the plan costs A - PLUS $20 per line, that can add up quickly ESPECIALLY when you are not informed about the surprising, unmentioned, unexplained line access fee.  The plan should INCLUDE THE ACCESS PROSPECTIVE FEE(S) that way the customer(s) are not misled/deceived.

Don't say a plan is only $40, say that it is $60 for one phone, $80 for two phones...etc.

Also, to suggest that people should read more or research more is offensive due to the nature of the cellphone industry.  Not only do most people have difficulty understanding, but providers also make DECIPHERING THE BILL EXTREMELY IF NOT UNNECESSARILY COMPLICATED, probably to intentionally confuse customers.

The bottom line is, if customers come here complaining, they probably have valid reasons.  Mama...you need to stand down, sweetie.

KH-Michael
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's important to know what's going on with your bill. We're also happy to check into returning an item. Let's get to the bottom of this. Please send us a Private Note for assistance.

0 Likes