What happened to customer service???
MrBaker

I've been with Verizon since 1996 (well, it was actually Primeco, then Verizon bought them out shortly afterwards).

I used to love their customer service. When something went wrong, they kept me a happy/loyal customer.

Now that I've been with them for nearly 17 years, they won't even take care of a $7 charge to replace a defective battery for a phone that's only a few months old. Seriously? I've been loyal for close to 17 years, and pay nearly $200/month on my family plan (with another sub-account under me with 3 more lines as well), and they can't take care of a simple $7 charge for a defective battery because the battery is an "accessory" and not covered under the warranty ...

It's the original battery that came with the phone and the water damage indicator is still clean (no water).

I'm so very unhappy to see that Verizon no longer takes care of long-standing customers like they used to ...

You would think that a company like this would eat the $7 to keep a long-time customer happy.

I'm not asking for them to fix something I've caused. I'm also not saying they were rude about it. All I'm saying is Verizon's Managers should be courteous enough to have approved a $7 credit to replace a defective battery in order to keep a loyal customer happy ...

I've recently upgraded a number of lines on my account, but I won't be upgrading anymore.

I've even moved to an area with no Verizon coverage. After the move I still decided to stay with the company ... I've been loyal ...

(I'm on an extended network, but still have 4G .. weird setup, I know).

Once these next 2 years are up, they can kiss their nearly 20 year long customer good-bye ...

Any other long-time customers out there notice the huge decline in customer relations? Even the loyalty team doesn't help anymore ...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What happened to customer service???
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

the could have charged full price for the battery

th entitlement mentality of todays society really confounds me

mrpearsoy
Contributor - Level 3

MrBaker wrote:

I've been with Verizon since 1996 (well, it was actually Primeco, then Verizon bought them out shortly afterwards).

I used to love their customer service. When something went wrong, they kept me a happy/loyal customer.

Now that I've been with them for nearly 17 years, they won't even take care of a $7 charge to replace a defective battery for a phone that's only a few months old. Seriously? I've been loyal for close to 17 years, and pay nearly $200/month on my family plan (with another sub-account under me with 3 more lines as well), and they can't take care of a simple $7 charge for a defective battery because the battery is an "accessory" and not covered under the warranty ...

It's the original battery that came with the phone and the water damage indicator is still clean (no water).

I'm so very unhappy to see that Verizon no longer takes care of long-standing customers like they used to ...

You would think that a company like this would eat the $7 to keep a long-time customer happy.

I'm not asking for them to fix something I've caused. I'm also not saying they were rude about it. All I'm saying is Verizon's Managers should be courteous enough to have approved a $7 credit to replace a defective battery in order to keep a loyal customer happy ...

I've recently upgraded a number of lines on my account, but I won't be upgrading anymore.

I've even moved to an area with no Verizon coverage. After the move I still decided to stay with the company ... I've been loyal ...

(I'm on an extended network, but still have 4G .. weird setup, I know).

Once these next 2 years are up, they can kiss their nearly 20 year long customer good-bye ...

Any other long-time customers out there notice the huge decline in customer relations? Even the loyalty team doesn't help anymore ...

Once again, here we go with that word...."loyalty". A friend is loyal. A dog, is loyal. Paying your bill for service that you use is not LOYALTY. You are getting something in exchange for something else. Now...having said that....you said "I am not asking them to fix something that I caused". Yes, you are. Was the phone sitting dormant in a drawer, unused these past couple years? NO. It was being USED. whether by you or someone else. Usage = dead battery. When your batteries die in your remote, do you call the cable company or the TV manufacturer to replace it because you "loaylly" watch Cheers reruns? No, you go buy a battery. And you dont expect a freebie from Home Depot. If you want to stay a customer, buy the battery pal, and keep on truckin. If not, when those lines expire, transfer to another company, buy phones that cost more than batteries, with the expectation that yes, eventually, the battery will have to be replaced...by YOU.

MrBaker

No, the battery was DEEMED DEFECTIVE.

It was not a DEAD battery from USAGE.

Defective in my eyes means it's the fault of the manufacturer. There is a difference.

The same reason a phone is covered for 1 year in case of something being defective ...

I expect to see a certain level of quality for something I'm PAYING TO USE.

If I bought batteries from Home Depot, and put them in my remote, and they died in 2 days ... then yes, I would expect them to replace them for being a bad set. Home Depot sends them back and they get their replacements.

Verizon wants my old battery back, I'm sure they'll get a replacement as well. This falls under the manufacturer of the battery.

There is a big reason why companies should keep their customers loyal and happy. They don't have to spend as much money marketing for new customers if they don't churn through their customers with turnovers.

It makes better financial sense to spend $7 keeping someone happy then the cost of marketing for bringing in someone new.

In 2 years, I have to pay for new phones regardless of staying with Verizon or going elsewhere ... either way, same money spent ...

I'm sure it's safe to assume customer service is sub-par now for the competitors as well ... so we can all just keep churning and jumping ship for the next best piece of product, 2 years at a time instead ...

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

contact the manufacturer

0 Likes
mrpearsoy
Contributor - Level 3

MrBaker wrote:

Defective in my eyes means it's the fault of the manufacturer.

The same reason a phone is covered for 1 year in case of something being defective ...

There is a difference.

There is a big reason why companies should keep their customers loyal and happy. They don't have to spend as much money marketing for new customers if they don't churn through their customers with turnovers.

It makes better financial sense to spend $7 keeping someone happy then the cost of marketing for bringing in someone new.

In 2 years, I have to pay for new phones regardless of staying with Verizon or going elsewhere ... either way, same money spent ...

I'm sure it's safe to assume customer service is sub-par now for the competitors as well ... so we can all just keep churning and jumping ship for the next best piece of product, 2 years at a time instead ...

The only thing I can think of $7 for a defective battery is shipping costs, as is a new battery is 39.99 or so. So, go exchange it in a store. Or if customer service wont send it for free, as you yourself said, "its the fault of the manufacturer". Verizon is the middle man with warranty replacements. So call the manufacturer and let them handle it. Just dont expect a speedy turn around time though. "There is a difference....."

0 Likes
Not applicable

MrBaker wrote:

Defective in my eyes means it's the fault of the manufacturer.

There is a difference.

Verizon's churn rate for the 3rd quarter was 0.91% the lowest of all 4 major carriers. This was despite forcing unlimited data customers to pay full price to keep unlimited. It's amazing all the people posting how they are going to leave Verizon. Yet I don't see any evidence of it.

0 Likes
MrBaker

Shipping was free via USPS ...

0 Likes
MrBaker

That number will probably increase once those 2 year contracts expire ...

People want to leave, but probably don't want to pay the high cost to ...

For me personally, 8 lines under contract is a lot of money to pay to leave ...

0 Likes
mrpearsoy
Contributor - Level 3

MrBaker wrote:

Shipping was free via USPS ...

There was a very good reason why there is a charge associated with what you say is a "warranty" issue. What make and model is this phone? Maybe one that was sold by an authorized reseller as "new" but could be used, or obsolete. Either way, somethings screwy here. Go through the manufacturer, and see what they say.

Message was edited by: mrpearsoy

0 Likes