What are my options to block someone from calling my number?
Fadd
The secondary line on my plan seems to have formerly belonged to someone who stopped paying all their bills. Most of the numbers calling looking for the previous holder of the number are blocked, unavailable, etc. All of these agencies keep telling me they'll "put a note in the file" that the person they are looking for is no longer reachable at my number, but they keep calling. As long as they block their numbers, I can't find out where to send a cease and desist calling letter. This has been going on for months now, and it's getting old. They're using my minutes to basically harass me looking for someone I can't help them find. Outside of flat changing the phone number and risk getting the same problem with a new name, what can I do to stop these blocked numbers from getting through?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What are my options to block someone from calling my number?
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Unfortunately there's not a whole lot that can be done if the # comes up as restricted or blocked. VZW may still have a policy where you can request them to research the # and if there's a pattern of abuse; 5 or more calls from same # within 48-72 hours, then it can be blocked but only for up to 60days. You'd have to call and ask though. 

Otherwise I think changing the mobile number would be your best option, there's no fee to do it if it's a harrassing situation. 

0 Likes
elusivecritter
Contributor - Level 1

A possible option is to block incoming calls to numbers in your contact list. Many phones offer this option under the security settings on the phone itself.

Settings & Tools menu > Phone Settings > Security

Your security code is probably the last four (4) numbers of the phone number.

ec

0 Likes
Linnie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Fadd,

Unfortunately, VZW does not offer an option to block unavailable or restricted numbers from contacting your phone.  As previously mentioned, some phones have the option of restricting calls to your phone to those only in your contact list, that way only the numbers in your contact list can reach you.

Also, VZW has the ability to change your phone number.  There is a $15 fee associated with it, and it will prorate your usage for the month, but if you call Customer Service, any VZW representative will  be more than happy to assist with providing specific details on what that means for you.  If you do decide to change your number, call customer service from a separate line, with your phone available.

0 Likes
Davz

If you're a Verizon VIP member, they should waive the fee for you.  They may also do it as a courtesy.

I think you may be better off letting whoever is calling know that what they are doing is illegal.  Ask to speak with their manager, let them know that you'll be filing a complaint with the FCC.  There are other options to stop this outside of what Verizon can do.

0 Likes
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

It is legal for a company to solicit a line only if the caller is not an automated message or recording, and as long as the person receiving the call is NOT on the national do not call list.

It is advised you add your # to the national do not call list (

888-382-1222 )

0 Likes
Shirozato
Some corrections - VZW cannot block/see what a restricted/unavailable # is to track it unless law enforcement requests them to do so. Privacy laws.  Next, VZW will waive $15 fee if it is a harrassment situation.  Tell the rep it is harrassment and they should waive it for you, if they don't - ask for their supervisor.
Message Edited by BradC on 03-26-2009 08:57 AM
0 Likes
hockey41guy

even if you are able to block a # if they call you restricted it goes right around that block

0 Likes
JohnInCalif
With as far as technology is coming, Verizon Wireless should put placing privacy features (blocking anonymous numbers, or specific numbers) at the top of their list of priorities.  On my voice land line phone with AT&T we have privacy manager.  It is a great feature.  I wish VZW would develop something like it or as close to it as possible for their wireless lines.
0 Likes
Fadd

Thank you, everyone, for the responses. While I did get the answer I was looking for(though definitely not the one I wanted), I feel some things need clarified.

These are not telemarketers. They are bill collectors looking for a certain person. They do NOT have the right to continue calling me at all hours/at work after I have asked them to stop even if they were telemarketers. I wish they were sales calls, because then my rights would be much broader. I could ask them for a company name and expect to get it. Adding this number to the do not call listing will help keep me from getting unwanted sales calls in the future, but it is going to do nothing to stop the people from the collection agencies from calling looking for the previous owner of the phone number. The only thing that will do that would be to force their hand in revealing a phone number by blocking all attempts at getting through on a restricted line. Apparently Verizon is more concerned about the privacy of anyone and everyone but their customers. This is a feature that needs adding to Verizon.

So again, thanks to those that answered. Maybe someday Verizon will get with it and realize that the needs of their customers who are paying them should come before the needs of shady debt collectors who refuse to understand that the woman they are after is no longer at this number.

0 Likes