Well, Verizon, you may lose me.
44grimmace
Enthusiast - Level 2

I upgraded my phone on Friday December 6, 2013.  I WAS told that I'd 'lose' my unlimited data and that it'd be replaced by 6GB a month FOR THE NEXT CONTRACT.  That's fine, I barely go over 2 most months, and only get close to 6 during football season watching stuff on my phone.

Right now, I'm looking at this for my 'usage' data:

This is your data usage since your recent plan change. You have exceeded your prorated plan allowance

Data

6.418 of 1.600 GB used

Estimate as of 12/08/2013 at 6:32 PM Date and time reflect last Data usage we received. Usage estimate and allowance may not include data used outside your local calling area, roaming charges, and may not take into consideration any promotional or bonus allowance you may have.

4.819 GB over current data plan

I'm thinking "WOAH, WOAH, WOAH".  This data was used Over the past month BEFORE I switched.  My 'billing cycle' ends 12/12/2013, but it started on December 5th.  I will not accept a partial month's data plan for an entire month's usage and be billed extra for it.  I have two weeks to return the phone, and I have ample reason since it doesn't work to call people unless I'm on speaker phone.

If I'm going to be billed an extra $50 for the 'overage' when I had unlimited data until the 8th, I'm done being a Verizon customer.  I've used less than 1/3 of my allotted 'amount' ( <500mb of 1.6gb) since getting the phone, and almost all of that was getting apps back on my phone.  This wasn't explained to me during the sign up process, just that my data plan would be changing to 6GB, which I accepted on the understanding that it was a full month's amount.

>> Tags edited to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
Re: Well, Verizon, you may lose me.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should have asked the data plan to be backdated to the beginning of your billing cycle. When you changed your plan during the upgrade, it was changed immediately and now you have a prorated amount of the old plan prior to the upgrade and a prorated amount for the new plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

B33
Legend

That is true but I'd say most people are just happy getting a new phone they forget about the small detail's that mean's the most..

0 Likes
44grimmace
Enthusiast - Level 2

The only thing is I do NOT have a prorated plan for the previous.  I've used 500 MB since I switched.  I guess I can cancel everything this coming weekend. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

First of all, if you previously had unlimited data, the pro-rated amount for the first part of the month would be irrelevant since a pro-rated amount of unlimited is STILL unlimited.

Next, you say you made the change on Dec 5 and your billing cycle ends on Dec 12. That means your pro-rated data allowance for these last 7 days of your billing cycle would be 7days/30days(7/30=.233) * 6 GB = 1.4 GB. The charge for this pro-rated data allowance would be $18.67. You will also get a credit on your next bill for the pro-rated unlimited data for the last 7 days of the month which would be $7.00.

Of course, these numbers would be adjusted if you had any discounts thru your employer.

totdoc214

Yep same thing happened to me- my billing cycle is not ending until 12/19/13 and I too was on an unlimited data plan.  After looking at my usage, the Verizon clerk agreed I wouldn't be going anywhere near 2GB per month.  Not only was I estimated a partial data usage, when they transferred my contacts to the new phone, it used up 75% of my allotted data plan! WTH?

Clerk never mentioned about prorating or backdating the data plan either.  I only use the phone for text messages, reading email and on occasion Facebook.

Verizon chat told me to increase the plan to 5GB ($20 more) and I'm like "why?". Eventually called Verizon, the only thing they could offer is $20 credit on my next billing cycle which is better than nothing. 

They really should be upfront regarding these plans. I'm sure we are not the only ones that have gone thru this.

0 Likes