Verizon sold my old phone to someone else with my info still on it!!
katsntx001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Long story short...

I go in to Verizon store for upgrade

Go home with a new RAZR

I hate it and a few weeks later I return it to the store and get a DROID4

Fastforward a few months and I get a voicemail from a lady (stranger) sounding very upset

She says she has photos, videos and other very personal information in her possession and for me to call her right away.

I call and she tells me that she went to Verizon store (same one I was dealing with) and buys a NEW phone

Turns out, this is the same one I turned back in.  Verizon repackaged it and sold it to her as NEW.  My photos, videos and personal legal documents were on it.  She actually tracked me down via facebook AND my phone number from information she found on the phone. She has my Name, address, phone number, social security number and personal legal information.  I AM LIVID!! 

Verizon says this is unprecedented and wants to know what it would take to make me happy.  Let me ask you?  What is the compromising of your private personal information and the possibility of identity theft worth to YOU???  Not to mention the fact that this other woman was defrauded by them passing off a used phone as new.  NOT refurbished or reconditioned.  NEW.  We have proof that it was NOT NEW.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon sold my old phone to someone else with my info still on it!!
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

What was the address for this store? Do you know if it was a corporate store or a premium retailer?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
katsntx001
Enthusiast - Level 2

"authorized Verizon Retailer" 

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Ahhhh yes, third party resellers. I steer clear of them. Your issue is with the store, not VZW.

Not applicable

Just a question why did you hand them a phone back with all your info on it? While they should have done a factory reset you could have easily done that yourself.

katsntx001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I learned that the hard way.  I didn't even know this was not a Verizon store when I got the RAZR.  I just called OnStar for the closest Verizon store and that's the one they gave me.  I learned it was not a Verizon store when I went to a different location to exchange it.  The Verizon store told me I had to go back to the location where I purchased it.

0 Likes
katsntx001
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have no idea how to do that.  As I am not a teckie, that was my first smart phone.  I asked them about my information being on it and the guy assured me that it would be reset right away.   I realize now that I SHOULD' have done it, although I don't know how to, but they had a RESPONSIBILTY to do it. 

0 Likes
budone
Legend

If you were doing an upgrade, Why did you have to give up the phone?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

they said they:

go in to Verizon store for upgrade

Go home with a new RAZR

I hate it and a few weeks later I return it to the store and get a DROID4

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Ahhhh thanks

0 Likes