Verizon numbers sequentially dialing each other - SPAM - Spoof?
gte037p

I've been getting calls every day from another Verizon number that has one digit lower than mine. ex. 678-555-2222 could be my number and I've been getting a call from 678-555-1222. 

Also, another Verizon customer claims they are getting a call from MY verizon number.  There number is one digit above mine. 678-555-3222.

They called me and told me about the issue.

I called the number calling me and they also claimed that they are receiving a call from one digit below them.

None of us are actually calling each other and therefore our numbers are all being spoofed.

Verizon, what are you doing about this?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon numbers sequentially dialing each other - SPAM - Spoof?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know that getting these calls is concerning, gte037p. Spoofing is not caused by an error in the network or your phone. Spoofing usually happens when the calling party uses a paid service (like Spooftel, Spoofer or Spoof Card), which allows the calling party to change the message sent as Caller ID. Here is a link from the FCC with more details: http://vz.to/2BR2RXB.

NicoleB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
client

How can they make a call on your (Verizon) system using a spoofed number?  How is it Verizon cannot identify the number while registered as a Verizon number and registered to a specific hardware device - all clearly identified in my BILL and your programmers and system can't identify that these two don't match?  I understand there are restrictions due to privacy rights and number portability issues.  BUT these are all MOBILE numbers being spoofed.  And if the call is not originating in your network then isn't that a clear sign these are spoofed calls too?  My number has been spoofed.  I get several calls a day during work hours from unknown number within my phone number's exchange.  Some will call until I answer or reply by text that my number is spoofed.  I have searched on this issue and this has been going on for several YEARS.  FIX IT.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

This is customer to customer forum. So I'm not sure how other customers can "fix it". Also in case you didn't realzie until mid Nov 2017 carriers were required BY LAW  to pass ALL calls through. So are you suggestion Verizon should have violated federal law? There are only a limited amount of things carriers can do even now. carrier can now block number they know aren't active so that will help but they can't block an active number. So if someone is spoofing your number I'm pretty sure you do not want Verizon or any carrier blocking that because no one would get your calls.

0 Likes
LEISIM10

Not only am I getting calls from numbers similar to mine, but I just got chewed out by an understandably irate woman who says my # keeps calling her at all hours offering to lower her credit card rate. What can be done about this? Not only am I annoyed by receiving spoofed calls, but I don't like getting chewed out by annoyed people. I suggested she call Verizon to discuss.

I just spent a ton of money changing my plan and phone and I've been a long time Verizon customer. I've spoken with other friends who have different carriers who do not seem to be having this problem. If Verizon can't do anything about it, to whom do we contact?

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Tell her it's not you someone is spoofing your number and that she should block your number. If she keeps getting "your" number calling her when she could easily block it that is on her. I had this happen to me just recently. A lady left a voicemail wanting to know why I called her. I called her right back and explained what spoofing was and told her to either ignore my number or block it. Haven't heard back since.

Oh and other carriers DO have this same issue. Do you honestly think a scammer will limit itself to just Verizon? I seen spoofed numbers that were LANDLINE numbers.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Leisim10, we never want any of our customers to have to deal with call spoofing issues.  Unfortunately, some call spoofing applications allow people to show any number they want when making calls.  There is no way for us to prevent this.  However, we do have call blocking options if anyone continues to blame you or harass you with spoofed calls/call spoofing issues.  Here is more information:

http://spr.ly/6583DXbjf

http://spr.ly/6584DXbjA

SeanC_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes