Verizon lied to me to get more money
5yearcustomer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently decided that I had had enough of the overcharged service that I was paying for so I switched to a new service called republic wireless which charges $25 a month for unlimited everything (goes off sprint and wifi). I called into Verizon and told them that I wanted to cancel my service on the 9th of January (my contract end date) and they told me that was fine and the representative and I agreed I would call back on the 9th. I called on the 9th and was told my service had already been cancelled and that I didn't need to do anything further and that I did not owe any money. I just got a bill for $132.00 for an early termination fee, the customer service rep I talked to yesterday said I cancelled on the 5th of January.....they will not budge in this.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon lied to me to get more money
krustykrabpizza
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did you port your Verizon number over to Republic prior to the 9th?

5yearcustomer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, but the problem is that I called Verizon before and told them "Hey, I want to switch to another service, I ordered a phone and I'm going to switch my number on this date, can I keep my service until until the 9th so that I do not have to pay a early termination fee, and I was told this was no problem twice by customer service. Turns out, I get a bill for an early termination fee. The problem that I had is that I called multiple times to get a clear answer to avoid the fee, and I was told it was not a problem as long as I pay for my service until the 9th of JAN, now I'm being told "We can't do anything about this". If you don't know the answer just say I  don't know, I don't need someone feeding me lies because they want to move to the next call.

ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Right, but if you went ahead and actually ported your number to a different carrier, then by doing that YOU terminated your Verizon account.  You needed to wait until your contract actually ended before you ported.

They told you to call back on the 9th to cancel, but if before the 9th you ported out, then your actions superseded this.

5yearcustomer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is the problem, I didn't know that if when you port a number it is automatically cancelling your service, that's why I called Verizon to ask them and was told that I could port my number and keep my service and cancel it on the 9th. The point that I am making is that I called and asked because I did not know and wanted to test my phone out with my number. THEY SAID TO PORT THE NUMBER AND I WOULD NOT BE CHARGED AS LONG AS I PAID FOR SERVICE UNTIL THE 9TH.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

The first sentence of your initial posts tells me you knew what you were doing. Even if you didn't it's spelled out in the customer agreement about porting. Either switch back and fulfill the remaining portion or pay the etf. And...If you didn't know then...you know now.

Carry on.

0 Likes