Verizon employees are outright misleading.
AlexandraInCalifornia
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon employees at the Redwood City store tried to sell me a "free" tablet and told me I could take it home and if I didn't like it, I could "bring it back within two weeks- no problem". When I went home to research the tablet, I discovered that people across the internet hated this tablet- even those who had gotten it for free over Black Friday. Because it commonly received one star, I decided to bring it back to the Verizon store the next day.

They refunded my money (surprise, it wasn't free) but charged me $70 (SEVENTY DOLLARS) for a "restocking fee. The guy said, as I quoted above, "You can take it home and if you decide you don't want it, you can bring it back within two weeks- no problem".

ATTENTION VERIZON: AN *UNDISCLOSED* $70 RESTOCKING FEE IS A BIG PROBLEM.

They never once disclosed that there would be a restocking fee. The only electronics I buy are my cell phones, so I'm not entirely familiar with the procedures; I feel they should have made it clear that restocking fees exist. They had me sign a blank screen and when I asked what I was signing, they said it was the new 2 year contract regarding the data, and the other blank screen was saying that I'm adding the tablet to my account. "Don't worry- it's everything we just talked about with you". They never mentioned the restocking fee.

They can assess whatever fees they want to, but they need to be disclosed. I would NOT have taken the tablet home in the first place if I'd known about the restocking fee. This is obviously an issue of poorly trained store personnel who are driven to make a sale, regardless of what they need to say to accomplish that. I never associated Verizon Wireless with sliminess until now. This is ridiculous. I used to love Verizon... I'm furious and I'll be disgusted until Verizon makes this right with me .

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon employees are outright misleading.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The restocking fee was in accordance with the return policy.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
AlexandraInCalifornia
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE: Verizon Wireless is wonderful! I called customer support and explained my issue. Because of my particular situation, they were able to make things right. I'm happy to say I still love Verizon.

0 Likes
AlexandraInCalifornia
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ann154: Not sure if you work for Verizon or not, but just to bring you up to speed: The employees opened my tablet in the store without asking me and quickly put a screen protector on it. I would have preferred taking my new tablet home in the box. (I don't wear my clothes out of the store... this is the same thing). So, opening a customer's box before they can say not to- and thereby forcing a restocking fee on them should they choose to return it- is NOT in accordance with any policy.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The rep would have had to open the tablet box to activate the "free" tablet since they can't add the line to the account under contract without activating it.

Now if you had purchased it at the full retail price, I believe you can walk out of store without opening the box.

And no, I'm not an employee.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
narntek
Contributor - Level 3

Working with Verizon, you don't need to unbox the tablet to activate it. You just need to type in the ESN or IMEI of the unit on the box in question. When the order form comes in with the device it shows the IMEI and SIM number. Once you type this into the queue, it's already been setup. Turn on the tablet, BAM, it's activated. I've had 2 or three times where I've purchased something in-store as well, and walked out without having to even have the rep open it. Also for christmas this year, I purchased my GF the new iPhone, she had it activated inside of the sealed box.

marve979
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree, they have to present you a blank piece of screen (paper) and tell you it was all disclosed in the conversation on the terms and conditions thx and by the way if you want to return this item we have to charge you $70?  That's half the price of the tablet : (

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

And I couldn't walk out of the store with a new SIM card because the rep had to activate it in the BYOD phone I brought in. I didn't want to activate it in the store, but I was forced to.

0 Likes
narntek
Contributor - Level 3

It might possibly vary store to store then, because I've always been able to walk out and do it later on.

0 Likes
AlexandraInCalifornia
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, Hunter B, you are correct. I was confused as to why Ann154 was saying there was a correlation between needing to open the box to activate it and paying full price. Anyway, I appreciate your contributions to my post(s) because now they've gone from weird conflict with Ann154 to something actually helpful to other Verizon community members. Thanks!

0 Likes