Verizon coverage after Alltel merger
MDC

Apparently I needed to not skim and really read it.  Managed to find my own answer, but in case anyone else is interested :

"we will upgrade the Alltel network and integrate it into Verizon Wireless’ nationwide voice and advanced broadband network" 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

As a new Verizon customer having moved from Alltel, I've noticed that some of the areas I had good reception from my Alltel phone I have poor reception with my Verizon phone.

I've read over the FAQ with Alltel regarding the merger:

http://www.alltel.com/wps/portal/AlltelPublic/!ut/p/c0/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3hnP2-DoCBDAwN_H...
which refers to Alltel 'customers' becoming Verizon 'customers'.  I'm curious whether anyone has gotten an answer whether the Alltel network and it's coverage will become available to Verizon customers?

Matt 

Message Edited by MDC on 04-06-2009 06:54 AM
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon coverage after Alltel merger
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2
I would assume as part of the whole reasoning behind purchasing the company would be to gain coverage in the markets that Alltel really had a lot of singular coverage over. In other words, yes. You will see in the coming year, network capability will switch on Alltel over to VZW. It takes quit esome time for this to becom ea reality though since a completely different network scheme has to be converted to VZW's
0 Likes
garetjaxthemise
Contributor - Level 2
For markets that will become part of Verizon Wireless, there will be a transition period of several months before the name of the business is changed to Verizon Wireless and customers are moved, in phases, to the Verizon Wireless network and billing system.  During the transition period, you will continue with your current Alltel calling plan and receive a bill that says “Alltel.”  When the transition is complete in your area, you will become a Verizon Wireless customer and receive a bill that says “Verizon Wireless.”  Additional calling plan options may be offered to you at the end of your contract period.
0 Likes
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1

Careful about assuming Alltel's network will be integrated. There are markets that will be divested and not integrated. I can't seem to find any list of these on the public internet, I suppose you could call VZW customer service and ask them to check areas of interest to you. I did find a map which can help, though I cannot say it is 100% accurate.

Alltel divesture map

0 Likes
kimsays
Thank you for the map.  Unfortunately, I am in one of the divested areas.  I was a happy Verizion customer and now I am in limbo until they decide who to sell me off to.
0 Likes
basspro
Contributor - Level 1

I live in eastern NC. How is this going to affect me?

0 Likes