Verizon charging me for returned defective phone.
dombag85

Hey guys I've read about this a bit before but never really found any solutions.  About a month and a half ago, my iphone 5 starting acting really weird so I took it to a nearby verizon store.  They set me with a 'like new' phone all I had to do is wait a few days for it to arrive.  I got the phone and it worked for a day then would shut down randomly etc.  Anyway, I send my original iphone 5 back and a week or so later I got a text saying they'd received the defective phone.  The 'like new' phone I had just received was not working after a few days so I set off to the same verizon store to go through the whole routine again.  Again I received a functional phone and sent the defective one back the exact same way I did the before. 

I never got a text saying they received my defective phone this time, and they're charging me retail price for it now.  I saved all the paperwork and tracking information but, when I looked up the tracking info on the usps website it said there was no information available.  I've tried over and over to contact verizon but the chat has been unavailable literally every time I've tried and the wait times on the phone take a while(honestly I'm just too impatient). 

Anyone know of a way this can be resolved?  I've been a customer for about 4 years now, and I've read about this issue occurring pretty often.  I honestly have no interest in paying for something I already took care of.  I heard I can file a claim with USPS but the wait time to receive a refund is 6months to a year which is  equally ridiculous.  If this is something I can't get taken care of, I think I'm gonna just switch services.  This issue sounds far too prevalent and $600 dollars for a piece of equipment I returned a month ago is ridiculous.  I'd just as soon pay the early termination fee and switch my plan(family plan with 7 phones) to another company now that they pretty much all have iphones.  Anyway, thanks for any insight.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon charging me for returned defective phone.
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

If you sent this device back using the Verizon prepaid label, that would be correct as Both FedEx and UPS offer a Hybrid service in which they pick up the box and deliver it to the USPS for the USPS to deliver the box. You will NEVER be able to track this as the Shipping contract is between Verizon and the Shipping carrier and good luck getting Verizon to provide you with any details on this (this is why I always suggest to people that they spring for the few bucks to send it back on their own dime so they have all of the tracking information and can initiate an investigation.

You can start here by trying the Postal Inspector or your local post office. Try to get an investigation started but they might redirect you back to Verizon.

Step 2, if you have the MEI number from the phone you are or did return, you can list it as lost of stolen device and this way Verizon or their representative that accidentally dropped the device in their pocket cannot do anything with it as many of these devices have turned up on eBay for sale.

Step 3, File a complaint with the BBB and a complaint with The FTC (BBB will do nothing at all) and the FTC will pursue the complaint as they get tons of these and believe it is intentionally set up this way to generate more profits.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dombag85,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the returns process for devices. We definitely do not want you to be held liable if you returned the device. We can do a returns investigation and check what may have happened to the shipment. Please follow me at TonyG_VZW and send a DM with your mobile number, name, and billing password. We will make sure to do all we can to review this return and find a resolution.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JewelR
Enthusiast - Level 2

What happened with the investigation? I have to call USPS to start because I'm going through the same issue. I'm nervous I'll have to pay for a phone I returned.

0 Likes
GIXXER69

Hi JewelR, I had a really bad experience sending my phone back to verizon in December 2014. I subscribed to the Verizon Edge and sent my Iphone 5 back and for 3 months they said they have not received it and I was going to have to pay $300. Well I tracked it on USPS and there wasn't any tracking info and I contacted the USPS and they are investigating it. Alot of customers are having the same issue when returning phones, I think there return program is all messed up so I contacted the Better Business Bureau online and filed a complaint against Verizon, because nobody would help me at Customer Service and I was given the run around for 2 months, I told them I refuse to pay for a device I sent back and its in there hands after I sent it back. I got a pretty quick response after I filed the complaint with the Better Business Bureau. It took about a week and I was credited my $300 to my account.

0 Likes
JewelR
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for writing back! Yeah, I'm having that exact same really bad experience. I'm glad you got credited, even though it took a lot of unnecessary hassle. I hope they fix these issues so less customers are negatively affected by this total unWOW.

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

Sucks you had to go through that but glad it worked out for you.  My iP6+ is the first device I've used with the EDGE program and every time I see a situation such as this...it makes me nervous.  I'm probably going to EDGE up sometime during late summer and I hope they'll have all the kinks worked out so I don't have to experience such a nightmare such as those that some folks are reporting to be dealing with...

0 Likes