Verizon charges for service after the customer calls to discontinue
Catsby

Dear Verizon:

I believe you owe me a small refund, less than $15. I switched my phone to another company about nine days before the end of a billing period. I contacted you about it six days before the end of the billing period, yet you're charging me through the end of the billing period. The reason - the potential that I may have used up too much data/voice for a three-week period and would have to pay overage charges. Yet if you took a quick look at my usage, you'd see I wasn't even close. The MyVerizon app on my phone always seemed to be very current with how much data/voice I was using, so surely what you could see would be current as well.

How much time to spend on what amounts to less than $15? I've already spent hours trying to figure out why my battery life was so bad once my phone - which I had for less than two years, still under contract - was updated to Lollipop. I found out it was a known bug. I restored my phone to factory default and the problem continued. I researched how to root my phone, only to discover it wasn't rootable. I spent time at the local Verizon store and with online customer service. I was told a "service center" could restore my phone to Kit Kat, but no one could tell me exactly where the nearest service center was. I wrote you a letter explaining why I was anticipating a refund. You called me to explain why I would not be getting a refund. I'm "going public" by writing this, and then I'm moving on.

I've been with Verizon for years and overall I've been happy with you. Even though the local Verizon store and the person on chat couldn't help me, they were very pleasant to deal with. But when I hear (literally) "How can I make your day amazing?" and "Your happiness is Verizon's goal!", this leaves a really bad taste in my mouth and reminds me that you're just another large company looking for profit. For me it's less than $15. For other customers it could be a lot more. Yes, some customers would do better to have their service end at the end of the billing cycle. Why don't you talk to customers when they contact you to cancel their service? Take a look at their usage for the month - does it look like it could be close? If so, advise them of that and ask the customer what they want to do.  You do this when someone switches plans mid-month - why can't you do it when someone discontinues their service?

My time is more valuable than the small credit I won't get getting.  Time to move on.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon charges for service after the customer calls to discontinue
mama23dogs
Legend

None of the cellular carrier prorate the final bill anymore.  No refund will be issued.

FYI....this is a customer populated forum, not customer service.

Catsby

mama23dogs - Yes, I know it's a customer-populated forum.  I originally posted it on Verizon's customer service page on Facebook and they took it down. (Can't say I blame them!)  Verizon knows I'm unhappy and I just wanted to let other customers know about my frustration.  Thanks for mentioning that none of the carriers prorate - I didn't know that.

Cheers!  Amy

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Per the Customer Agreement linked at the bottom of every Verizon Wireless web page, you are responsible for all the charges through the end of the billing cycle. Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless

CAN I TAKE MY WIRELESS PHONE NUMBER TO ANOTHER CARRIER?

You may be able to take, or "port", your wireless phone number to another carrier. If you port a number from us, we'll treat it as though you asked us to cancel your Service for that number. After the porting is completed, you won't be able to use our service for that number, but you'll remain responsible for all fees and charges through the end of that billing cycle, just like any other cancellation.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Catsby

Thanks, Ann154!  I wish Verizon would have pointed that out when I first contacted them.  Sure, I should have read it myself, but with other companies I've dealt with they've canceled service the day I asked them to.  I didn't think to question that Verizon and other cell companies would be any different.  And I still don't like the policy.  🙂

Now I have a new question - how can I delete this post/thread?!  I've poked around my profile and searched Jive Help and can't find a way to do this.  But if I can't, the replies have been helpful and perhaps will clarify Verizon's policy for other customers as well.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The threads aren't deleted so they can hopefully help others searching for similar questions.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes