Verizon Unethical Business Practice In Early Upgrade
Mergim
Enthusiast - Level 1

Towards the end of Summary, I called Verizon and asked them if they could upgrade my wifes and my phone. They said we are not due for an upgrade, but they would do an early upgrade for us – if we traded in our OLD phones.  So, we did that, and we even received a text message the day we got our new phones that if we trade in our old phones, we will get $200-400 for each phone.  We shipped the old phones to Verizon. Called multiple times, waited, called, for the credit. Nothing.  Every time I called, was told that the credit would be issued and not to worry.  Finally, a representative informed me that because we upgraded early, we basically gave our phone to Verizon for FREE.  I was very upset and even the rep felt bad for me. She informed me that she would have her manager call me.  NEVER CALLED!

So, VERIZON STOLE $400-$800 dollars from me (2, mint condition, like new Iphone 4s). Extremely unethical. 

I am not sure how to proceed here.  I am thinking of reporting to the Better Business Bauru as it seems extremely unethical how they handled this.  Any Advice>?

Labels (1)
Re: Verizon Unethical Business Practice In Early Upgrade
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We greatly value your loyalty and always want to offer you the best value. As the original stipulation of the upgrade early was to trade in your current devices since the contract was not fulfilled. As this was originally agreed to we are unable to further honor the later offer for a trade-in credit. This trade-in credit is only available as stated by the Terms and Conditions when the device is eligible for upgrade or paid in full on a device payment agreement. I sincerely regret any inconvenience as we certainly do look to offer you the best value and that is what was available at the time of new device purchase.
YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jwp5446

I am currently going through the same thing. I received something stating that the value of my phone was $150-200. When it was all said and done I decided to instead give the phone to a family member who was experiencing issues with their phone. I had NO IDEA that Verizon was expecting my phone back. My phone. My property. They claim that it is the condition of the early upgrade (3 months early mind you, I would've DEFINITELY just waited the 3 months). I paid $200 to Verizon this morning because I didn't send them back my own personal property. I am in a contract with Verizon until for 1 more month and then I am going to another provider like AT&T or T-mobile. On good conscience, I cannot give my business to a company that screwed me over like that, especially after my years of loyalty to them.

0 Likes
jwp5446

I am currently going through the same thing. I received something stating that the value of my phone was $150-200. When it was all said and done I decided to instead give the phone to a family member who was experiencing issues with their phone. I had NO IDEA that Verizon was expecting my phone back. My phone. My property. They claim that it is the condition of the early upgrade (3 months early mind you, I would've DEFINITELY just waited the 3 months). I paid $200 to Verizon this morning because I didn't send them back my own personal property. I am in a contract with Verizon until for 1 more month and then I am going to another provider like AT&T or T-mobile. On good conscience, I cannot give my business to a company that screwed me over like that, especially after my years of loyalty to them.

0 Likes
Mergim
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, the agent responding was not helpful at all.  I think I will put a claim in to BBB.  I really do feel that this was unfair, and I didnt even see it in fine print.  I would of easily been able to sell those two phones for 500-600 bucks and at least paid one of my phones off.  But no, Verizon decided to STEAL from me.  EXTREMELY UNETHICAL. 

0 Likes
jwp5446

I agree with you 100%. I discussed this with a number of Verizon customer service people before I decided to just bite the bullet and pay the $200 so my service doesn't get interrupted, but I clearly explained to each one that I spoke to that this will 100% cost Verizon my ongoing business. I'm not in the habit of making idle threats, but the bottom line is with all of the competition out there, such as AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, I would think they would try a lot harder to keep our business. And I'm glad to hear you say that it was fine print because it was NEVER clearly stated otherwise I would NEVER have gone for the early upgrade. Anyway- glad to know I'm not alone, at least. Best of luck to you.

0 Likes