Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3-SCH-I535, what they don't tell you at time of purchase ! Buyer BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Southern66

I upgraded 2 yrs ago and got the Samsung Galaxy S3, as listed above.  What a nice phone, so easy to use and I was truly thrilled with the phone.  Well at least until July 8th this year, 2013 when my contract ended and I did not renew.  I decided to take AARP up on their offer of using Consumer Cellular, so much cheaper than Verizon, the price even includes a data package and texting.

Purchased the SIM card from Consumer, low and behold, the damn thing don't work.....Consumer told me the phone was LOCKED!  VERIZON SWEARS IT WAS NOT, DOES THAT SURPRISE ANYONE?   I had to purchase another phone that would work on Consumer Cellular, $160.00 and not nearly as nice as my S3...We've 30 days to return the phone if we don't like it, I have been living on the computer trying to find someone who can unlock this phone.

I have been told that the phone needs to be unlocked and flashed, I've not a clue what flashed means, and can't seem to find a sole who says it will work.

How DARE verizon to force into signing a 2 yr contract everytime you make a change or upgrade, this is totally unfair!  They not only charge you a fortune for the so called 'BUNDLE" package, they also (edited) you when it comes to the cellular end of the deal as well. 

I have been told that the S3 that I am currently trying to get unlocked and flashed is LOCKED by Verizon so that it can not be used on any other carrier but VERIZON?  How nice, but they swear it is not locked, however, the AT&T Consumer SIM card when put into the Verizon S3 clearly states, this is a NON VERIZON SIM CARD!

I've been a long time customer of VERIZON, but after this I think I am disconnecting it all and going with DISH.  They refuse to even hear that "I"ve been told the phone is locked' they refuse to hear that the phone needs to be flashed....the S3 has the options of selecting, GLOBAL; CDMA' OR GSM......SO WHY WON'T IT WORK ON Consumer Cellular which is a GSM carrier!

Think before you agree to that 2 yrs contract, may save you a ton of headaches in the future if you decide to change carriers down the road.  Wish I had!

Comment edited for appropriate content to comply with Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3-SCH-I535, what they don't tell you at time of purchase ! Buyer BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dean8675309
Enthusiast - Level 1

The problem is not Verizon, but the network.  The phone you bought from Verizon works on a CDMA network, while an "AT&T" network is a different form of digital GSM network. Flashing the phone won't do you any good because of this.  T-Mobile runs on the same type of network as AT&T.  Unfortunately, Sprint is the only other national CDMA provider.

Comment edited for content to comply with Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Re: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3-SCH-I535, what they don't tell you at time of purchase ! Buyer BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are other smaller carriers running CDMA. They are more regional carriers and some like US Cellular are larger than just a regional carrier but smaller than national.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.