Verizon Payment Reversal Policy
DEFRAGS
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I was recently charged two charges of $180.67 to my account, for a total of  $361.34. $180.67 was my past due amount, which I had a payment arrangement on for the 5th of August. I paid it early, (on the 4th). The following Monday is when I noticed two charges of $180.67 (leave my bank account in the negative). I called Verizon immediately and was told to give my routing and act # to the rep so she could do a payment reversal, I was driving at the time so I had to call them back when I got home. I get home, call Verizon, now it's 7-10 business days to get my $180.67 back and it has to go through a review process (fine). The manager I spoke with told me it was approved over the phone and I'd probably see it back within 48 hours. Well, 72 hours I called again only to be told that because I have a bill due on the 13th of August, for $154 that the Treasury Department was going to keep my money, and apply it to a bill that wasn't even due yet.. They are going to also keep the $26 balance that they are just going to credit to my account.

How is this acceptable? You overcharge someone by double, then take their money and use it for a bill that isn't even due? Not only just enough to cover the bill, but all of it because they're too lazy to issue a payment reversal?

This is criminal. You cannot simply set up a payment arrangement for $180 for yourself.

Labels (1)
Re: Verizon Payment Reversal Policy
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DEFRAGS,

I apologize to hear about the experience. We want to make sure you are billed correctly and payments go through flawlessly. We do not want to negatively impact your income and the problem to continue. We truly value you as a customer. Please allow me to see what I can do for you. No need to worry I'll be more than willing to assist you since here at Verizon, we always want to make it right. I understand the importance of your time and I sincerely apologize about the false expectations. Please check your Inbox for my Private Message.

RyanC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Ayon
Enthusiast - Level 1

This same thing happened to me. I paid my bill (8-20-19) and forgot to cancel a payment arrangement so it took out another $166 on 8-21-19 (which is already way too much for a phone bill) from my account. I got in touch with Verizon via the chat option on the morning of 8-21-19 and was told that the reversal was approved.

It is now 8-27-19 and the charge still has not been reversed. The charge made me overdraft my account so now I'm almost $200 negative in my account! I think after I'm done paying my phone off I'm switching to another company. This is ridiculous!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

@Ayon wrote:

This same thing happened to me. I paid my bill (8-20-19) and forgot to cancel a payment arrangement so it took out another $166 on 8-21-19 (which is already way too much for a phone bill) from my account. I got in touch with Verizon via the chat option on the morning of 8-21-19 and was told that the reversal was approved.

It is now 8-27-19 and the charge still has not been reversed. The charge made me overdraft my account so now I'm almost $200 negative in my account! I think after I'm done paying my phone off I'm switching to another company. This is ridiculous!

You say $166 is "already way too much for a phone bill" then go on to say "after I'm done paying my phone off...". This simply means that $166 IS NOT how much you are paying for service. You purchased a phone and are BUNDLING that monthly payment in with the cost of your service. If you want your phone bill to not be "already way too much" then purchase a phone you can better afford or don't bundle THAT purchase in with your phone bill making you THINK you are paying "way too much" for phone service when the facts are that you are paying for service AND an expensive phone.

Additionally, if you switch providers and make a manual payment without remembering to cancel an automatic payment you had previously scheduled, you will be in the same predicament you currently have. The payment reversal policies of the other providers are no different than what you are currently experiencing.

0 Likes
Ayon
Enthusiast - Level 1

First and foremost, you shouldn't comment on financial situations that you have no clue about.

After Hurricane Harvey happened I like most everyone in Houston lost everything or quite close to it and have been rebuilding ever since so I couldn't exactly just up and cancel/get a more affordable phone. 

True that it was indeed my fault for forgetting to cancel a payment arrangement that I set up prior, however this same situation happened when I was with AT&T and the situation we resolved within a day.

Kindly keep your "constructive" comments to yourself. Thanks.

0 Likes