Re: Verizon No Longer Supporting 4G LTE Capable Phones!
WHOSTHEMASTER
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not looking for a different answer boringusername aka verizon.  Looking for the truth.  What's your goal other than muddying up the discussion?  I posted on reddit because it's a larger community than this and perhaps it will have more knowledgeable people than I.

It should be very easy for a verizon engineer to provide a definitive technical answer to the question of whether a phone is capable of VoLTE or not.  But, I have yet to be given one. 

I actually like being challenged.  Very stubborn that way.  Makes me want to dig into it more.  So I'm just going to try to keep opinions out of it and provide information that is as factual as I can.  Here are the specs for the Q10 that I found on gsmarena.com provided by another user:

TechnologyGSM / CDMA / HSPA / LTE
2G bandsGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - all versions
CDMA 800 / 1900 - SQN100-2, SQN100-4
3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 - SQN100-1
HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 - SQN100-2, SQN100-3, SQN100-4
HSDPA 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - SQN100-5
4G bandsLTE band 2(1900), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 17(700) - SQN100-1, SQN100-5
LTE band 4(1700/2100), 13(700) - SQN100-2
LTE band 3(1800), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800) - SQN100-3
LTE band 25(1900) - SQN100-4
SpeedEV-DO Rev.A 3.1 Mbps, HSPA, LTE (market dependent)
GPRSYes
EDGEYes

If you can identify what the Q10 doesn't have to make it not compatible with VoLTE, let us know.  I will continue all further discussions about this issue on reddit.  For those that are interested:  https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/adxa86/verizon_no_longer_supporting_select_4g_lte_phones/

Notice I changed the title to more accurately reflect the discussion.  Did that just for you.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

I do not work for Verizon just a fellow customer. This is customer to customer forum not customer service. Reddit gave you the same answer as me and yet here you are again.

VoLTE has nothing to do with the frequencies the phones has. Just because you have a 4G LTE phone doesn't mean it supports Verizon's VoLTE. Your phone doesn't. PERIOD. It probably doesn't have the hardware to support it. You can ask 100 different times and you'll get the same answer. Even the cheapest smartphone is 10X better than that phone so move on and get a new phone

0 Likes
WHOSTHEMASTER
Enthusiast - Level 3

In your words, "prove it".  You have been more argumentative than helpful.

I guarantee as long as I keep posting here, you as a verizon troll will keep muddying this discussion. 

Again for those that want to follow what's really being talked about, take a look on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/adxa86/verizon_no_longer_supporting_select_4g_lte_phones/

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is one list I found indicating the VoLTE capable devices. Unfortunately Verizon Wireless doesn't have an official list. They need one.

List of Verizon VoLTE Compatible Phones : verizon

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

boringusername
Master - Level 1

WHOSTHEMASTER wrote:

In your words, "prove it". You have been more argumentative than helpful.

I guarantee as long as I keep posting here, you as a verizon troll will keep muddying this discussion.

Again for those that want to follow what's really being talked about, take a look on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/adxa86/verizon_no_longer_supporting_select_4g_lte_phones/

I am not being a troll, but YOU are being rude. Either is had VoLTE or it doesn't. I do not know the answer. I suspect not. If it does then Verizon will allow it if it doesn't Verizon won't. It's that simple and pointing this out to you is not being a troll. YOU have an issue with the answer so you keep asking hoping someone will say "yes it will still work after Dec 31 2019" even if it's not true and somehow that will magically make a phone work., So Ok you win. Yes it will work after Dec 31 2019. enjoy.

0 Likes
WHOSTHEMASTER
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am simply asking you to do the same thing with your claims as you did me when I shared my opinion regarding VZW policy. I'll also have to disagree with you about the tone of my replies.  Several times, I've tried to de-escalate this discussion only to be challenged repeatedly with unjustified accusations of my intent.

The only answer that I have been given about this topic is that my phone is not supported.  It is not clear whether the lack of support is due to technology or policy.  That still has not been made clear by VZQ.  I'm not without understanding.  I may not like it but it is their prerogative to do so.  I just don't want to be misinformed when I'm reading the reason why the Q10 should be VoLTE capable. 

If the Q10 is VoLTE capable, I want to know.  If it is not, there should be a technical answer somewhere as to the reason why not and close the book on this talk. 

The best I think we will get from VZW is the answer posted by VZW Network Engineer on reddit that both the phone's firmware has to be capable of VoLTE and the network has to be provisioned allow a device to utilize VoLTE on the network.

There is a lot of good information being posted about this topic on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/adxa86/verizon_no_longer_supporting_select_4g_lte_phones/

I would recommend that anybody that is not interested in reading boringusername and I bicker, to go there and get some knowledge.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

I gave you the correct answer and it's the same answer as the Verizon engineer gave you BEFORE he did by the way. You were far nicer to him. No apologies from you I see. Your phone doesn't have VoLTE won't ever have it. So move on. This thread needs to be locked.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can definitely understand wanting to get the most use out of your phone on our network, WHOSTHEMASTER. I'm happy to help clear this up. Upon review, the Blackberry Q10 does not support the HD Voice feature that is necessary to remain compatible with our network. 4G phones that do not support this feature can no longer be activated on our network as mentioned in the previously provided article and this is the specific reason that the Black Q10 which, while a 4G phone, cannot be activated on our network any longer. For the future, you can check for compatibility of any device on our network right here: http://spr.ly/6582EMhdI Does this help?

RyanM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ndennis99
Enthusiast - Level 1

This kind of thinking is ridiculous! It is why we have most the issues we do today on this planet, blockhead. Who are you to tell someone they got their money's worth out of something? Advance and waste all you want, that is the beauty of capitalism. Keep contributing to the problem, inatead of a solution, but don't tell others that have no problem using something until you can no longer be need that they are the problem. Grow up and get educated before spouting off such ignorance please.

0 Likes
DejayTeeJay
Enthusiast - Level 1

You can do what I did, activate the SIM in a Verizon compatible phone, then just pop it into the BB. It should work fine if you have the correct phone settings for the network. I have a phone by a Chinese manufacturer that Verizon technically doesn't support, but the friendly staff at the Verizon store allowed me to activate my fresh SIM card in his phone, I popped it into my unsupported phone, ensured the network settings were correct, and I have been operating on the network hitch free since. I hope this helps as I am not totally sure this will work for a non HD voice phone. My phone was released late 2019 and has HD voice and is VOLTE capable. Good luck friend as this would only cost you time and a SIM card if it does not work.