Re: Verizon No Longer Supporting 4G LTE Capable Phones!
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Older phones that are 4G/LTE compatible will not, necessarily, have the ability to make & receive calls over it.

My old Samsung Galaxy S4 had 4G/LTE capability, but, still relied on the CDMA network to handle voice traffic. Because of this, Verizon Wireless would not allow me to bring it back online if something were to happen to my current phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge).

0 Likes
WHOSTHEMASTER
Enthusiast - Level 3

check the manufacture specs to see if it is VoLTE capable. Verizon is requiring both 4G LTE and VoLTE. My Q10 does both contrary to what another is stating. 

On my blackberry q10, compatability can be conformed by going to network and connectivity settings. There will be a line item IMS. If it says disconnected, version is not supporting it. If it says connected, the phone is compatible and connected to VoLTE.

Bit what ive found out is that know that it’s compatible just made me more upset.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

WHOSTHEMASTER wrote:

check the manufacture specs to see if it is VoLTE capable. Verizon is requiring both 4G LTE and VoLTE. My Q10 does both contrary to what another is stating.

If that is true you'd be allowed to activate it. Show me proof of this Verizon VoLTE capability. Since you insist it exists you'd have proof.

That device is so old you'd be better off getting a new device anyway. Eve the cheapest smartphones are worlds better than that thing.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I checked the specifications for the Blackberry Q10 over at gsmarena.

https://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_q10-5274.php

I might have overlooked it (not unusual for me), but, I don't see any reference to VoLTE. I see CDMA and a section specifying the available 4G/LTE bands, but, nothing that mentions VoLTE.

0 Likes
WHOSTHEMASTER
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dexman

Im pretty tech savvy but no where close to being knowledgeable enough about radio frequencies to explain which frequencies show compatibility with VoLTE. The community where I get help for my blackberry is crackberry. https://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-q10-f272/

That link should get you started if you choose to scratch that itch.

They have some really smart people there. Most of their comments are over my head but have never steared me the wrong direction. Discussions go back to 2012 regarding VoLTE. I’ve looked through many discussions about the Q10. Identifying which version Q10 I have. I followed the comments to verify if my Q10 is connected to Verizon’s advanced LTE features.

So up to the reader to decide if my comments have merit or if Verizon through policy has just decided not to include the Q10 as one of the phones they will not support. 

0 Likes
WHOSTHEMASTER
Enthusiast - Level 3

Still waiting Verizon.  Or do you just post saying that you are concerned just for show?

0 Likes
WHOSTHEMASTER
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dexman

it also looks like your S4 is VoLTE capable. But again it takes both your phone and the willingness of Verizon to make it work. 

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually, my old S4 didn't have VoLTE capabilities. It utilized the CDMA radio. I ended up recycling it...along with my...even older...HTC Incredible 2.

I read through the latest Verizon Wireless/Q10 topic..

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-q10-f272/verizon-discontinue-support-q10-1151324/

Only the last post (unless I misread something along the way) stated that the unit could support VoLTE. With conflicting statements swirling around, the final definitive answer would come from RIM as they, I'm assuming, designed the phone.

I'll defer to whatever RIM's official answer is.

0 Likes
WHOSTHEMASTER
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dexman,

You would know more about your S4 than I would. 

I've read in many instances where people have mentioned that their phone is not compatible because it utilizes the CDMA radio.  I don't think the utilization of CDMA should be a criteria for determining whether or not a phone is VoLTE compatible.  Take for instance the Iphone 6.  It uses CDMA and also capable of 4G LTE / VoLTE. 

I've come to the conclusion that compatibility does not equate to support.  I wish that Verizion would just come out and say that they've decided to not support a particular phone rather than incorrectly telling people their technology is out dated.  It would prevent obsessive people like us trying to convince customer service that our phones are compatible. 

On a different note, I'm concerned what happens now when 4G signals are not available in an area.  You would at least get 3G or 1x for voice.  

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

You really think if you posted on the Verizon subreddit you would get a different answer? You're device does not have VoLTE. That's it PERIOD. re you one of those that will continue to ask a question until you get an answer you want to hear instead of accepting the actual answer?

0 Likes