Re: Verizon Edge - FCC Complaint
PaulMichaelOwens
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's why I referred to my "old device". It is already paid for, long time ago. I want to upgrade my "old device", in which this program states you can upgrade anytime you want, which is just not the case, hence the complaint.

The continual reference to the "6 months" and "paid for half the device" is in reference to after you got the first upgraded device through the program.

The point is that you cannot "Upgrade whenever you want" and "No Contracts" is not the case and this is what this program specifically advertises.

0 Likes
pdecell
Enthusiast - Level 2

Edge is a bad deal...but looking at what Vz says, you can upgrade anytime you want after your first upgrade-the "grace period" and the Edge page makes that quite clear. What of course Vz doesn't want to say is that you are effectively double paying for your phones but it is not clear to me that obfuscation is in and of itself illegal.

0 Likes
GregoryB

I agree that the advertising is misleading. I also was under the impression that I would be able to upgrade my current phone that is paid for under the edge program, but I was told by Verizon Customer Service that I  have to wait another year until my current contract is up. That makes no sense.

0 Likes
Kissler
Enthusiast - Level 2

I like this blind-rage defense of Verizon by the CL's. Instead of getting together to get a handle on the situation, they banded together to shut down anyone in opposition. Just send a tip to Endgadget, Gizmodo and the other tech blogs. The bad PR will get them to either change the wording or make the program comparable to that of T-Mobiles, which is obviously the model they used for the program.

Kissler
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here's what angers me about this whole situation:

I went to the VZW store at 9985 S. Eastern Ave Ste 130 in Las Vegas. This is a corporate store. I spoke to Brooke who gave me her card. On this visit, I was bringing my last phone from Sprint to Verizon. I purchased an iPhone 4S for my mother-in-law. On this visit, I was told of Verizon Edge, because I inquired about the Motorola Maxx that was coming out. On this visit, Brooke told me I could trade in the old Sprint 4S and use that credit to go towards the phone if I pre-ordered it. Brook stated that Verizon Edge would allow me to finance a phone, and pay it of on my bill while keeping me on contract for my current phone. She labeled it as "Upgrade anytime." I asked if this was similar to the T-Mobile program, and she confirmed it. If she wasn't privy to this info, then why do you have a whole store giving info out that isn't even final? Using false verbiage to engage customers and entice them to sign up knowing that the actual program is VASTLY different from the initial "pilot" version.

Now, here we are on launch day, and since I'm an "Existing Customer" I'm not allowed to participate. I'm not valued enough to participate because I'm not new, nor am I signing a new contract (which is required) or establishing a new line of service. I went to the store today and was told "Sorry, that's only for new or upgrade eligible customers." I had money in hand which I was ready to spend and was told that I couldn't because I'm not "New". Now, I don't want to hear from "CL's" I want someone who's in-charge of this whole mess to explain where the communication broke down and give us a straight answer. Are you going to honor your wording, or ***** the existing customers like my self?

>>Edited to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Kissler
Enthusiast - Level 2

So let's protect the employee but forget the customer? (Comments removed) I'm also typing this as I talk to customer care!

Content edited for mentions of moderation.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I would like to understand your complaint. I have always been able to upgrade anytime I want. I may not be able to upgrade under any plan I want, but I have ALWAYS been able to purchase a phone at full retail price if paid at the point of sale.

Different plans may have restrictions in order to qualify for payment arrangements or discounts on the price of the phone, but that DOES NOT preclude you from paying full price for a phone, in full, at the point of purchase. There are NO restrictions with this method of upgrade. Maybe one restriction, I think there is a limit to the number of times you can switch devices in a month, 4 times I believe.

Is this the "Edge" program you are complaining about? Would you provide a link with the information you say is misleading/false?

0 Likes
PaulMichaelOwens
Enthusiast - Level 3

The link has been posted many times in this thread.

The complaint is the Verizon Edge Advertisement states:

"Upgrade anytime you want" and "No Contracts".

Neither of these statements are true.

I'm not sure how to make it any more clear.

rcschnoor
Legend

I see 4 links in this thread. One you posted to the FCC, one to another forum thread and 2 to the Verizon Edge page explaining the program, none to an advertisement with the wording you state as misleading.

I see nowhere on the Verizon Edge page "Upgrade anytime you want" OR "No Contracts"

I DO see "Upgrade When You Want", but I also see caveats to this directly underneath after a LARGE, RED #2 "After 6 months, with at least 50% of your phone’s price paid off, you’re eligible for upgrades."

I DO see "No long-term service contract", however I also see on the same page without looking very hard

Does the Verizon Edge program require a contract?

Yes, you must have a service agreement at the time you enter your 24-month Verizon Edge Agreement. However, a long-term service agreement isn’t required.

Yes, the page is designed to grab attention, but it is NOT misleading in the ways you claim.

Good luck with your claim.

0 Likes
GregoryB

The Problem that we have with the advertisement rschnoor, is that "we" Verizon customers who have already paid off our current phones and are in the midst of a 2 year contract were under the impression that we would be able to upgrade our current phones under the Verizon Edge program NOW. Since it does say " upgrade when you want" on the Edge link we assumed that means we can update under the Edge program, Not upgrade by paying $600 for a phone upfront.

No where on the edge advertisement does it say " current verizon customers under contract must wait until their current contract has expired in order to sign up for Verzion Edge."  So that is what the complaint is about.

My phone is paid for, I am one year in to my 2 year contract, but I am being told I can't upgrade to a newer phone under Verizon Edge for another whole year. Why Not??

0 Likes