Verizon Data Scam
frustrated123456
Enthusiast - Level 1

Like so many post before me, I also noticed a spike in the alleged data usage on the plan shared by my parents and I. Last month, there was no issues with data on a 1 GB plan, even though a line was added halfway through the month.  One week into the new month, I get a data alert to see that 75% of the 1GB of data was used.  I called customer service and upgraded to 2GB. Two days later, I get another alert to say that we've hit our 75% data limit for the prorated month.

Here's my issue.

1. I call on 11.25 to change the plan which is day 8 of the 29 day cycle between 11.17-12.16.  The prorated data they provided us was 1.6GB.  If you do the math 8 divided by 29 is only 27%, which means the prorated data for the rest of the month should be 1.73GB and not 1.6GB.

2. I called my dad to see why his phone is using so much data.  He says he does not know and I personally had turned off his cellular data option on his iphone 6, which means NO CELLULAR data should be used. I enabled wifi on his phone so that option is always on. So when he views anything needing data, he's ALWAYS connected by wifi.

3. I log into my verizon to check the data usage. It claims my dad has used 841.MB of data. So I downloaded the unused data into a spreadsheet and summed it up. It only added up to 649.3.  BUT THE BIGGER PROBLEM IS THAT MY DAD'S CELLULAR DATA IS IN THE OFF MODE which means there should be NO data. In addition to that, there is a spike in usage around 10p every night for the last four nights.  We have wifi at home so Why is there a spike when the cell data is off and we have wifi at home.

4. I looked at my own personal usage log and noticed that my phone is using data in the middle of the night when I'm sleeping.  I also have wifi at home so there is no reason why cell data is being used. On top of that, I also downloaded the spreadsheet for the usage on my phone

Now I got an alert this morning that we're at 90%. There is something majorly wrong going on if so many people are complaining about the same thing.  I would like my proration corrected and an explanation as how data could be pulled when the cell data is turned off.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon Data Scam
mama23dogs
Legend

If you have iphones, you have to force the phone to use wifi or it will revert to cellular when asleep and not plugged in to power.  This is an Apple specific problem.

close apps running in the background.

IF you check your phones settings, under cellular data, it lists the apps using data in descending order.  This may help you curb data guzzlers.

turn off location services when you don't need them.

a Smart phone with cellular data turned off, still must use minimal data to function.  The only way to truly turn data off is at the account level.

lastly ios 8 uses a lot of data.  I don't undrstand it, but it as been explained by those with technical knowledge I do not have.

View solution in original post

regretswitchingbigtim
Enthusiast - Level 2

sadly switched to Verizon on 2/27/15 and less than 2 weeks into our new 8GB plan I received a text stating we had used 75% of our data...UUUMMM WHAT? We are doing nothing different than we did with T-Mobile and we are connected to WiFi all day, so how are we using any phone plan data? I just checked into canceling our plan and returning our phones since it has not been 14 days...Well there return policy is filled with 50 ways to charge you for their "No Hassle 14 day trial" I am contacting the FTC and filing a Data Scam complaint...This is where customers go to file complaints that actually will get results, I suggest you do the same.

Not applicable

6 GB in 2 weeks for 3 phones is nothing. There is no scam. If T-Mobile was so awesome with it unlimited data why did you leave?

regretswitchingbigtim
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you work for Verizon ohnoes? And I left T-Mobile because when they upgraded to 4glte something happened and cell service had issues.. And no 8gb if data usage in 2 weeks is not normal...we have WiFi and NEVER used more than 3 or 4 GB in a month with 4 lines... My 14 days are not up so according to the rep that sold me the plan, I can return phone and cancel, no charge, no questions BUT when I she'd what I needed to do to cancel them tonight... The customer service rep said it would be a total cost to me of the one time low cost of $4,830! Wow what a bargain!

0 Likes
Not applicable

does my name and avatar indicate that I work for Verizon? Um no. use logic.

You said you use 75%of 8 GB which is 6 GB not 8 GB.

Ever think you got new phones so apps you had on your old phone had to be re-downloaded on your new phones? Verizon is not trying to add data to your account. funny how this mysterious data add has NEVER happened to me and I've been with Verizon for years.

Once again if T-Mobile is so awesome and has unlimited data why leave?

regretswitchingbigtim
Enthusiast - Level 2

I asked because b you jumped to defend them... And as I stated at v the time b of the original call 2 days ago it was at 6 GB and now phony had to update my plan  to up to 10 GB because we would go over....and I did not want to leave T-Mobile they just couldn't figure out their new LTE tower issue in a timely manner

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

If you have iphones, you have to force the phone to use wifi or it will revert to cellular when asleep and not plugged in to power.  This is an Apple specific problem.

close apps running in the background.

IF you check your phones settings, under cellular data, it lists the apps using data in descending order.  This may help you curb data guzzlers.

turn off location services when you don't need them.

a Smart phone with cellular data turned off, still must use minimal data to function.  The only way to truly turn data off is at the account level.

lastly ios 8 uses a lot of data.  I don't undrstand it, but it as been explained by those with technical knowledge I do not have.

civica
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can also check your cellular usage via your handset directly. It may show some slight differences, but are typically within reason.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

ohnoes! wrote:

6 GB in 2 weeks for 3 phones is nothing. There is no scam. If T-Mobile was so awesome with it unlimited data why did you leave?

I have 10 lines(9 iPhones) and barely use 8GB in a month. Sounds like the iPhone shutting down WIFI issue to me.

lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

regretswitchingbigtime wrote:

sadly switched to Verizon on 2/27/15 and less than 2 weeks into our new 8GB plan I received a text stating we had used 75% of our data...UUUMMM WHAT? We are doing nothing different than we did with T-Mobile and we are connected to WiFi all day, so how are we using any phone plan data? I just checked into canceling our plan and returning our phones since it has not been 14 days...Well there return policy is filled with 50 ways to charge you for their "No Hassle 14 day trial" I am contacting the FTC and filing a Data Scam complaint...This is where customers go to file complaints that actually will get results, I suggest you do the same.

Did you verify the amount of data used? It might be 75% of a prorated amount.