Verizon Charging Money to Block Extortionists
user1111

For months I've been getting calls from extortionists posing as fake debt collectors. They are very threatening if I do answer. They have a thick accent so likely not based in the United States so limited things law enforcement can do.

Methods used that can't block without signing up for the premium FamilyBase:

- Calling from 'Unknown' number

- Calling from short prefix numbers from whatever circuit is routing the call (e.g. 12651)

- Calling from Skype number (which I've blocked but have to re-block every 90 days)

I called Customer Service and informed me I would have to pay a monthly fee for FamilyBase to block these methods which I don't think is right as Verizon has partial responsibility for allowing these calls to pass through the Verizon network to begin with.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Charging Money to Block Extortionists
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

So you're saying that if you had an ex or other harassing person calling you you wouldn't have a problem paying the fee for them to be blocked? It is not Verizon's responsibility to block these people from calling you. We all get them. I don't answer the phone unless I know the number. All phones have a function to reject a call and send it to voicemail. If it is important they'll leave a message. What we are dealing with is a Federal Government issue. Write your congressman.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

This is not Verizon's responsibility. They don't determine who can and cannot make a phone call to a number on their network.

Verizon has given you a method for doing what you would like to do. Whether or not you want to utilize it is up to you.

As sprmankalel has stated, if you don't recognize the number, don't answer. If it is important enough, they will leave a message. If the number is unknown or blocked, do the same.

0 Likes
user1111

Some comments:

- This isn't some ex or someone I know. These are professional scammers who sometimes call 4+ times a day. Yes, I ignore the calls but it is still disruptive to ones life even if they do so. This is probably difficult for someone to understand who isn't in that situation. I know Verizon does block some of this kind of abuse.

-  Verizon has the ability and the moral responsibility to block spammers and scammers who are abusing their network and trying to target their customers with illegal activity. I'm sure I'm one of hundreds if not thousands of Verizon customers having this experience.

- The monetary cost for the FamilyShare would not have a significant effect financially on me, it's more so the principle that Verizon is charging money for something that should be offered at no cost and is due to abuse that is partially the responsibility of Verizon to block. At the minimum it should be evaluated on a case by case basis.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Did you not see the part where I said I get these calls too? Or the part where both rcschnoor and I said it is not VZW's responsibility to control this? So say they do start blocking calls? What would you do if they blocked a call that was actually supposed to get to you? You'd flip out even more. There is currently no way for the network to discriminate against scam and legitimate calls. The intent of the call cannot be determined by simply ringing the phone. We all have these calls to deal with and the responsibility falls on the federal government not VZW. I am sorry to say but you have no complaint with VZW. They do offer you up to 5 numbers to block for free and, yes, you do have to reblock them every 90 days but I have never had a problem with this free blocking. Also most smartphones have the ability built into the software. These are your options.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Those are two perfectly reasonable options for blocking a few phone numbers. Both I have used in various forms since 2009. It could be worse. AT&T charges their customers monthly fee just to block one phone number.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
user1111

My main point... a customer can't block Unknown, Private, or non standard phone numbers from a circuit through the free Verizon blocking. This should be offered to customers without charging them a monthly fee just to do that.

My secondary point... for blocking such fraud as an analogy could say that ISPs have no responsibility to limit email spam and the concern over legitimate emails being blocked but they do a very good job at both in general. Much like email spam there are multiple ways of phone companies blocking fraudulent phone calls with having only a negligible amount of legitimate calls being block.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I still don't see how VZW should take that responsibility. If you say that they should block unknown, blocked or private numbers then you may miss legitimate calls. Granted, any legitimate business shouldn't block their number but, again, what would you do if you missed an important call because they blocked these types of calls. VZW is saving their own behinds by not blocking calls. If you pay for that service then they cannot be held responsible for you missing calls because you have opted into having blocked caller ID calls not reach you so in the event you do miss an important call because it was blocked VZW is not on the hook. That is most likely the reason what you're asking for is a paid option. That means you are fully aware of the ramifications of your request.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

sprmankalel wrote:

Granted, any legitimate business shouldn't block their number but, again, what would you do if you missed an important call because they blocked these types of calls.

I disagree, it is not uncommon for legitimate businesses to block their number. For example, doctors routinely make phone calls from blocked numbers so that they do not get return calls which do not go through their switchboards. Same goes for lawyers, etc...

My doctor explicitly informs his patients to allow blocked numbers if you want calls from his office. They will not unblock their number if your home line does not accept blocked numbers and you will not get calls with information about appointments, lab results, etc...

Lawyers don't always work with the most respectable people around and routinely block their number even when making calls to clients, unless they are a favored client. A lawyer does not want their clients calling their cell/home phone at all hours of the day/night.

Of course, these types of businesses would leave a message requesting a callback if needed.

I certainly don't want unknown numbers blocked from my phone for this exact reason.

user1111

I'm not asking Verizon to block unknown and private calls by default but give the OPTION for customers to do so without charging them.

Also, I think there is a misunderstanding about the capabilities of the free call blocking. For example, if I call you through a circuit that shows my number as 42512 or Unknown you have no way of blocking that through the free option.

0 Likes