VZprotection
tom53704

Should I have the "unsecure Wi-Fi network protection" setting on or off?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: VZprotection
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's entirely up to you.  What the setting does is warn you (or not, if that's your choice) when you are connected to an "unsecure" network, like an open wifi connection, public access (my local grocery store, airports, libraries, etc.)

When you connect to your home wifi, generally you use a password, and you have your router secured (or should have) so the whole neighborhood can't log in and use your connection.  It's a secure connection.  Public wifi access is "unsecure" - anyone can log in.

Hope that explains it so you can make the best choice. I typically have it on, and it just warns me when I am connected to a public access, "open" wifi.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's entirely up to you.  What the setting does is warn you (or not, if that's your choice) when you are connected to an "unsecure" network, like an open wifi connection, public access (my local grocery store, airports, libraries, etc.)

When you connect to your home wifi, generally you use a password, and you have your router secured (or should have) so the whole neighborhood can't log in and use your connection.  It's a secure connection.  Public wifi access is "unsecure" - anyone can log in.

Hope that explains it so you can make the best choice. I typically have it on, and it just warns me when I am connected to a public access, "open" wifi.

0 Likes
tom53704

Thanks, I guess I will have it on as well. Just for the warning  I think its a good idea.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I just realized (should have read the TITLE, not just the post!) you are asking about the VZ Protect - try it with the setting ON, and see if it even lets you use an unsecure access point - that may be what the setting does in VZ Protect.  There is a setting on the phone itself, apart from VZ Protect, that just warns you when connecting to an unsecure access point.

0 Likes
tom53704

I'll try it both ways. See what happens.

Thanks again

0 Likes