VZ Navigator questions
horsepower
I am considering between adding VZ Nav to my phone or adding the driving map micro SD card to a gps I already have.  This is all in preparation for an upcoming motorcycle trip.  With my gps, I will not have any voice prompting and must look at it--a minus on the motorcycle.  Will VZ Nav work through my bluetooth stereo headset (I have a Jaybird 200)?  What happens to my navigation when I pass through a zone with no cell coverage?  Just looking for any and all input for a cell phone novice--I just use mine for music and phone calls so far.  I have the 700 minute shared plan for my wife and I but we haven't ever gone over 50 or 60 minutes for a month so I am assuming adding the Nav to my plan shouldn't incur any increase in my bill except the $10 a month.
Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: VZ Navigator questions
horsepower
I just double checked--used 98 minutes last month.  Also, we have text messaging disabled.  Do I need it enabled to receive directions?  Right now, our plan would cost us 20 cents each for messages and that could add up quick.
0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

VZ Nav is a great application, but unfortunately it does have one glaring draw back; it does not work without some type of cell cignal. It will not continue to tracking your location when you're out of range. Though it will still display the map and your last known location. VZ Nav has had known issues of compatability with certain bluetooth headsets and audio transmission. It's best to try it out on your specific device first; there is a $2.99 option for 24 hours of use so you can test it out.

VZ Nav does not incur airtime or megabyte charges to use, it will only cost you 1-2 megabytes to download the application initially. So for $9.99 a month it is unlimited use. 

Personally, I love VZ Nav. It does great in major citys like New York, Chicago and LA. It's awesome to be able to look up a restaurant and be able to go directly to it. I've found that it doesn't work too well in rural areas or mountainous areas; 1. because of signal issues and 2. because those types of areas aren't frequently updated. 

Also, you might want to ask if Verizon can move you to the 550 minute plan for $59.99, instead of your $69.99 for 700. That $10 you save can make up for using VZ Nav. :smileywink:

Good luck.

0 Likes
horsepower

Thanks, that helps.  I not really sure what to do.  My entire trip is within the digital coverage zone on their map except for a couple short segments but so is my house and I am lucky to not get dropped due to weak signal strength, even outside!!  I may add the VZ Nav and just try it.  I can still take my old gps and have it on in case I get totally lost.  I can at least backtrack even if the streets aren't labeled.  Right now, I use that gps for backcountry horse riding and the like and don't care about streets, just where I left the truck parked or where did I see that spring for water. 

With Garmin's City Nav mapping software added, it will function as an excellent gps for driving just not sure about on the motorcycle but the chip is $90, the mounting system for my bike is another $40 and will cost $140 if I have to get someone else to wire it all up so it doesn't chew threw batteries like crazy so VZ Nav is certainly the cheaper option, if possibly less reliable.

0 Likes
Lightninrod
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm sure you know(saw your wiring comment) this but be sure to have a 12v charging adaptor when using Nav.  Your cell may get very warm too but should be okay.

One thing Nav has that my Garmin Nuvi 660 doesn't is the Traffic info though it's mostly limited to large, urban areas and we live 'out in the sticks'.

0 Likes
meaganjames

i was rting to find out how to switch nav from one phone to another when i already paid for it onthe one phone that used to have the num i am using with the new phone. help

0 Likes