VERIZON SWITCH ISSUES
JOERILEY2107

I am a recent switch to Verizon from Sprint.  Originally, I was excited to switch from Sprint to Verizon because of the better service and a new phone.  The service representative at my local Verizon Store explained the switch process and stated I was eligible for the $650 switch promotion.  When I asked for details on how to switch worked, I was provided a one page document that essentially only provided the website for the switch.  I was a little concerned with that but figured I could figure out the process by visiting the website.  Once I received my new Verizon phones (2 lines/2 iPhone 7s) I began the switch process on the website.  The first prompt was to provide my final bill from Sprint and the second was the process of sending in my Sprint iPhones.  I completed this process and shortly thereafter received boxes from Verizon to mail in my Sprint phones.  I mailed the phones in and began the waiting process.  Within about 7-10 days I received an "invalid submission" from the switch center stating I needed to provide more information for my final Sprint bill.  This made sense to me so I emailed the entire 5 page Sprint bill PDF and received a confirmation that it was received.  I then began the waiting process, which I was happy to do.  About 2 weeks later I started getting emails from Verizon stating I was getting a monthly bill credit for my trade-ins.    I immediately contacted Verizon with this information and was told since my status in the "Switch Center" was still active and had not be returned invalid that I had nothing to worry about.  I once again began the waiting process until the last notification(s) that I received within the last 10 days.  The first "invalid" I received said I was once again not eligible for the switch because I was participating in the trade-in.  Before I was able to contact Sprint I received another notification stating I was ineligible because my phones were never sent in or I had passed the 45 day requirement.  After receiving these notifications I contacted Verizon and after 1+ hours on the phone I was told that I had participated in the trade-in and was not eligible for the switch promotion (for two separate/different reasons).  They stated I would receive a monthly bill credit of 25ish dollars for 24 months which would total out to around $1200.  this would be fine, but as soon as I ported my numbers from Sprint my bill (which I had just paid) went to $980 dollars due immediately.  I explained this over and over to the Verizon rep and the answer I was told, even after speaking to a supervisor, was essentially "too bad, so sad".  My only goal with this entire process was to have Verizon pay Sprint and be done with it.  There were two reasons Verizon told me why the credit was happening like this.  1.) My trade-in value was more than the switch promotion and 2.) I was not eligible to participate in the switch because I had received iPhone 7s (which was never explained to me, otherwise I wouldn't have switched.)  The way it stands now it would take me nearly 2 years to pay of Sprint with the monthly Verizon credit....or I would have to pay them $1000 of my own money. This is the first time I have ever posted on a forum but I could not believe Verizon could just say "oh well, deal with it".  Sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and what the outcome was.  Thanks!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: VERIZON SWITCH ISSUES
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The switch to Verizon promotion required you the customer to pay the final bill from the previous carrier including any ETF or remaining device payment balance. Then you submit that final bill to Verizon Wireless. Once approved then you get from Verizon Wireless the bill credits or gift card totalling the switch promotion amount.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

jsimon963
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same exact situation, except that I was trying to leave AT&T.

In the end, even after all the double and triple -questioning this offer, and my best "post switch deal" efforts; phone calls, documentation, texts, form submissions, etc ....EVERYTHING i could possibly do!  This offer has been a nightmare of a ridiculous proportion.  It cost $ (that I was not supposed to have to spend), HOURS! on phone calls, stress I didn't need, and sent off to collections to boot!

Be wary, (but if you’re reading this, I suspect it’s too late now anyway)

I hated AT&T, and I had two AT&T phones, with remaining end of contract balances of $549 (Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge +; 64Gb) and $570 (Apple Iphone 6s; 64Gb).

Join Verizon and we'll pay your costs to switch"!  "We'll pay up to $650 on your old phone or contract when you trade in your phone"

Off to the Verizon store I go…

Me- I see your ads all the time about paying me to switch carriers, is that really true?  I can’t stand AT&T.  Is this something that would work for me to get away from AT&T

Vzn- Yep; "We'll pay up to $650 on your old phone or contract when you trade in your phone" “New smartphone device payment activation & port-in required.  Get up to $650 prepaid card for installment plan balance less trade-in value (or up to $350 prepaid card for early termination fees less trade-in value).  Trade-in must be in good working condition and be worth more than $0.  Verizon Wireless Visa Prepaid card mailed within 8 weeks after receipt of claim

Me- Wait? Really? what does this mean? I get new phones?

Vzn- yes

Me- I just send my phones off to Verizon

Vzn- yes

Me- and they send me prepaid credit cards of up to $650 ea.?

Vzn- yes, if they are in good condition, and after you send in the required documentation, and wait for process to complete its course. But we give you have up to 90 days, just to be safe.

Me- so I sould be able to pay AT&T with that?

Vzn- sure.

Me- cool!

So, on that day, December 1st, I got new Verizon phones (the “New smartphone device payment activation & port-in required” part) Within the week, I’d sent in my phones, in “perfect condition” (always phone cases and screen protectors, not even a scratch) into Verizon.  Within another week I got another email telling me; Verizon Device Trade-in Program: Shipment Received.

Now let’s try and break this down: I now had new Verizon phones, and owed AT&T a total of approximately $1129.00 for the two phones I’d given to Verizon. I’m thinking I’ll collect my prepaid credit cards from Verizon, up to $1300.00, yes? (x2 phones; Get up to $650 prepaid card for installment plan balance

Not so fast says Verizon, (the less trade-in value part in the fine print).  Trade in? Sure I understand the meaning of “trade-in” but how does that affect me man, like I gave you my phone(s), so you can access a value or whatever you like to it, if it makes you happy:  I gave you my phone, you give me up to $650 (yes, I’d like the $650 please!) , and I pay AT&T.

How does that possibly equate to:  phone(X) - (trade-in Value) = (prepaid card    $650)?  I still need to pay AT&T.  What is the “less trade-in value” part?  I’ll be paying off AT&T in full. Verizon isn’t!  I’m not trading in a car with an owed balance (for all intents and purposes)!  The phone will be paid in full, and Verizon will sell it off, however they do it. Verizon came up with the ≤  $650 part, not me.  I’m just asking to collect it.  You know, the deal I made!?

Then I start getting different types of emails that say:

1. “Verizon Device Trade-in Program: Account Credit” ?? Huh, Account Credit?  Wait, this is supposed to be a prepaid credit card, I have bills to pay!  …back on the phone with Verizon
  2. “Verizon Device Trade-in Program: Your account credit is coming.” ??  Wait, A PREPAID CREDIT CARD! remember we just talked about this!!  …back on the phone with Verizon
  3. “Looks like you're getting a bill credit. Sweet.” ?? WTH!  …back on the phone with Verizon.  I even discovered that they had, rather sneakily put one of those, 2 years of monthly credits, on one of my bills. I don’t recall, maybe, $24.38 it was? The two years of monthly discounts they keep trying to force me into, instead of the prepaid credit card I was told I’d get, asked for.  I guess this was a way to say we’ve started giving you credits?  But the gentleman assured me that he just had to resubmit it back to the switch department.  That I could look for my new email indicating the same in the coming week.  Sure, right.  Thanks for that.

I’ve submitted, and been denied, and called, and resubmitted, and called back again, and resubmitted again,  documentation to the verizonwireless.com/switch department.

I had submitted my AT&T last bill, but because it still had a balance from my previous month, which I planned, and did pay, no problem.  Verizon didn’t want to accept that as the final AT&T bill.  I don’t know what the problem was, it shows my end of contract phone cost breakdown too!  And, AT&T says they won’t be sending me another bill.  That WAS the final one.  I tried.  I called AT&T, even payed off the monthly cost part and asked for another bill.  I even went into AT&T.  The answer was “no”.

On my most recent of calls, I was again trying to request the foretold credit card, as opposed to two years of monthly credits. I was told I hadn’t submitted the proper email with the proper tracking number from the previous phone to get the prepaid credit card.  But that was exactly the document I had in front of me.  Telling me it was credits, not prepaid credit cards.  I finally thought I’d had it all straightened out with the guy. I was happy to see emails:

“Your Switch to Verizon Wireless submission has been updated “ and “Good News! Your Switch to Verizon Wireless submission is complete”

Then comes: “We're having problems with Your Switch to Verizon Wireless submission” ??

To date, it is coming up on three months, and Verizon has done every single thing they can do, to avoid, and stall, and not, give me a cent.  They have my phones, I got nothing.  AT&T, despite my best efforts of continuing to pay them something each month, has sent me to collections.

0 Likes
DENUZZ29

The switch is a scam. I haven't found one thing in the promo to be true. I will end up paying about $700 out of my pocket because I switch two phones. I'm telling everyone at my job, at church and anyone else who will listen.

BEWARE!!!

0 Likes
jsimon963
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. I figure it

can't hurt. My mission is to tell anyone and everyone that will listen.

Especially if I get a chance to do it online somewhere.

RACOVE43
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had the EXACT same problem. I ended up having to pay Sprint over $1000 out of my pocket to switch. The monthly credit, sure, nice, whatever, but I would have rather them pay Sprint off like they promised. And it would have been nice to get answers back in April when all of this began, I still can't get an answer from anyone. I have gotten more answers off of this discussion board then I have in my countless of wasted hours on the phone with Verizon. I am telling everyone I know to NEVER switch to Verizon, it is by far one of the worst customer service experiences I have ever had.

0 Likes
RACOVE43
Enthusiast - Level 1

What did you say in your complaint? I am going to file one as well.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RACOVE43, we want all of our customers experiences to be a great one. I am sorry to learn after all of this time you have not gotten any answers. It is our goal to provide all the answers needed regarding the promotion. Did you submit the final bill to VerizonWireless.com/switch within 60 days of activation of our services? You mentioned you have spoken with us regarding this, have you spoken to anyone specifically in the Switch and Save team here http://bit.ly/2tk9EV9?

TionnaB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes