Using only 2 devices (2 iphones) of the 3 I have on my account. How can I be going over the 20GB data plan I upgraded to 3-4 months ago? Verizon needs to address this issue as there have been thousands of complaints filed with the FCC over the same prob
dave5857

Upgrade my data usage plan from 14GB to 20GB a few months ago because we were constantly going over the usage (so we were told).  Now, I'm constantly being told every month that we are exceeding the 20GB of data.  I have 2 iphones and one iPad on the account.  The iPad is hardly ever used anymore, so all the data is being put on the 2 phones.  My usage is 3.7GB for the month of November and my son's usage is over 17GB!  He is not a teen downloading and streaming music or video all day.  How can we decrease the number of devices we are using, but end up using 6-7GB more data than before?  I see that Verizon customers throughout the US have filed thousands of complaints with the FCC for the same problem within the past few months.  What is Verizon doing to address the issue?  If this keeps up, I will gladly switch to either Sprint or AT&T. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Using only 2 devices (2 iphones) of the 3 I have on my account. How can I be going over the 20GB data plan I upgraded to 3-4 months ago? Verizon needs to address this issue as there have been thousands of complaints filed with the FCC over the same
Weth
Legend

Check what apps your teen son is using that uses up all the data.   In settings, cellular as you scroll down apps will have numbers to indicate how much data is being used.  Scroll all the way to the bottom and reset to zero and monitor.  Since this is counted separately on the phone and not by a Verizon, it will serve as confirmation the data is really being used and which apps he is using that is causing it.  Chance teen is actually using 17 GB is 99.999%. 

Re: Using only 2 devices (2 iphones) of the 3 I have on my account. How can I be going over the 20GB data plan I upgraded to 3-4 months ago? Verizon needs to address this issue as there have been thousands of complaints filed with the FCC over the same
rcschnoor
Legend

You could always enable Safety Mode on your account. Once you exceed your data allowance, you will not incur overage fees, your data speed will simply slow down. You would be able to continue using data at a slower rate but you would incur no data overage fees. When your son starts complaining that his phone is not working correctly, you will know he was trying to use the app which is likely consuming much of the data.

There are MANY people who use more than 20 GB on a SINGLE line. It is not inconceivable that your son is using 17 GB in a month. Many people use a lot more than that. As Weth indicated, you can check your and your son's phones to determine which apps are using the most data. Restricting or deleting those apps would be a good way to cut back on data usage.

0 Likes
arrina87

I have a similar situation. We got new phones exactly a year ago and have had issues ever since. My husband has an iphone and i have the samsung galaxy 6. We used to only use barely 2 GB combined before new phones. Now, we are constantly going over and I had to upgrade our plan to 8 GB. Now we are running out of data on that plan too! We have battled with Verizon to no avail. My only suggestion is to make sure you do not have wifi assist turned on on your devices. Also, make sure to turn on Safety Mode. That is the only thing saving us right now.

0 Likes
Re: Using only 2 devices (2 iphones) of the 3 I have on my account.  How can I be going over the 20GB data plan I upgraded to 3-4 months ago?  Verizon needs to address this issue as there have been thousands of complaints filed with the FCC over the same
dave5857

My son is not a teen!  One thing I did discover this morning is that I am showing data usage of 14GB for Gaming on MY phone and 4GB for Gaming on his phone!  I dont do Gaming; never have. It's not even turned on. I did find a Gaming profile on my phone. The user name is not a name I dont even recognize.  Out of curiosity, I looked up the user name on the web and it comes back to someone that within 15 miles of me. Could it be a coincidence that that user name is being used by more than one person for other applications?  Maybe, but I'm more inclined to think my phone may have hacked. Verizon has some explaining to do.

0 Likes
Re: Using only 2 devices (2 iphones) of the 3 I have on my account.  How can I be going over the 20GB data plan I upgraded to 3-4 months ago?  Verizon needs to address this issue as there have been thousands of complaints filed with the FCC over the same
Weth
Legend

You have not done the basics of what I said you need to do though. Your phone keep track of data use separately from Verizon. Did you go into Settings/Cellular and scrolls down to see what apps are using the data? The numbers there tell you how much each app has used in cellular data since last reset. The reset is found all the way at the bottom.

Depends on the uniqueness of the username, but certainly different systems can have the same user name for different people. I am inclined to think it is very very unlikely your phone is hacked. Please do the first step above as that

0 Likes